.50 cal machinegun armour piercing

dog of war,

The Mark VI can and does kill Italian tankettes. I know this for a fact, having done had it done to me in ROW vs. Londoner, I believe. OTOH, the 81mm mortar will kill Mark VIs, too. .50 cal MG fire can also kill light armor, even frontally. 251s get eaten frontally at ~200 meters if memory serves, and I lost a Hetzer once to a jeep driveby shooting via a high speed flank shot.

Regards,

John Kettler

When shooting at a vehicle with the .50 zoom in on the target and you should hear the bullets either penetrating or bouncing off the armor.

And I can confirm that it is very effective against medium tanks when aimed at their weak armor.

Had a Sherman kill a PzIV once in the Perano scenario. The Sherman came to a stop ~15m right on the left side of the obviously surprised German tank, but it refused to fire it's main gun. I cursed at first, but then I realized that the commander was firing with his flexible .50 which he deemed to be sufficient. And really, the first salvo must have already caused a casualty, because the PzIV did not even try to turn its turret at my tank, and after the 3rd or 4th salvo the crew bailed, only to be chased down by my tank in a stylish "drive-by-shooting" before the turn ended.

End of story: one abandoned PzIV with all crew killed, used 75-mm rounds: none. :D

2 inches? I don't think so. More like 1 inch if you are lucky. SLAP was used to get penetration above 30mm to deal with Russian choppers in Afghanistan, for example. Plain AP didn't cut it. As for the original purpose, it was anti-material yes, but not anti-tank. Weren't any German tanks to speak of to anti. There were planes, though.

The 50 cal was meant as an AA weapon first of all. That is why it was used so widely in WW II - at the time the US was planning the force, the Luftwaffe was still a terror and the role of air support was played up in all the popular accounts of "blitzkrieg". So they put 50s on everything. In the event, the kind in the wings of P-47s and P-51s had dealt with the Luftwaffe already, so the ground 50s wound up shooting mostly at ground targets.

Just for the record, the German produced only 20 tanks in WW I, and appear never to have had more than 15 of their own operational. They used about twice as many captured Brit tanks, making less than 50 total.

The Allies produced and fielded 6500 tanks of all types by the end of the war. By the end they were using 30 tanks per mile of front in the biggest offensives. Chances were thus more than 100 to 1 that a tank encountered in WW I was Allied.

Nor was the 50 cal MG designed as an anti-tank weapon. Browning explicitly meant for it to be used against aircraft, both from the ground and as an aircraft mounted weapon itself. It was first accepted by the US army as a ground AA weapon.