A bunch of maps of Ukraine I have made over the years

Zveroboy1

2 hours ago, Zveroboy1 said:

I don't know if any fighting took place in this area.

No. But there was quite interest battle for Dzerzhynsk (renamed in Toretsk in 2016), when two small groups of "seals" from 73rd Maritaime Special operation center seized the town and awaited for reinforcement of National Guard and Army units. But  instead separs gathered own forces and with tanks and light armor counter attacked the town. Seals repelled this assault without proper AT-weapon. But I think game engine of CMBS didn't allow to repeat this success.

Edited by Haiduk

Maybe with crack troops with ATGMs versus low motivation low quality separs but yes I don't think I'll ever do Dzerzhynsk, built up areas takes a super long time to map the way I do it. I have a Horlivka map half done but I don't think I'll ever be able to finish it. If you have some other interesting areas in mind though feel free to suggest them.

1 hour ago, Zveroboy1 said:

Maybe with crack troops with ATGMs versus low motivation low quality separs but yes I don't think I'll ever do Dzerzhynsk, built up areas takes a super long time to map the way I do it. I have a Horlivka map half done but I don't think I'll ever be able to finish it. If you have some other interesting areas in mind though feel free to suggest them.

They had RPG-22 only %) When enemy tank approached to town hall, occupied by seals, one trooper shot with RPG-22 and hit under the turret. The turret was locked and tank moved back. 

What part of Horlivka is under work? :) I have started one, but with 4GB RAM this is bull s...t %) 

I have a thought to make full historical (or semi-historical at least for playable reason ) ATO campaign or just battle pack, but with base game this havn't any sense.

Edited by Haiduk

11 minutes ago, Zveroboy1 said:

Hmm yes you probably need 8GB to be comfortable.

I don't know why I said Horlivka, my bad. Well I have one of the Gagarin mine near Chyhari that I will probably try to finish next. 

This is Horlivka indeed. Gagarin mine belongs to the city limit. I am making the same location, but not only around the mine %) Industrial heavy buildings are that what CMBS critically needs...

Damn, that's funny. Maybe a pity to be both working on the same area though. Yes you're right; you have to be a bit creative for the industrial areas, it is not easy. There are lots of pictures on google earth and wikimapia though, it helps a lot.

Here is a good link. This is what gave me the idea to map it.

https://medium.com/dfrlab/minskmonitor-ukraine-takes-control-of-village-near-horlivka-54f29260b5c0

Thanks.

On 1/24/2020 at 12:08 PM, Haiduk said:

I have a thought to make full historical (or semi-historical at least for playable reason ) ATO campaign or just battle pack, but with base game this havn't any sense.

By the way Haiduk, you should go ahead with your project. I doubt too many people who play CMBS know more about this war than you. And you shouldn't worry too much about being 100% accurate. If the tactical situations are interesting and you manage to capture the feel of the conflict, that's good enough even if you don't have the exact model of tank.

4 hours ago, Zveroboy1 said:

By the way Haiduk, you should go ahead with your project. I doubt too many people who play CMBS know more about this war than you. And you shouldn't worry too much about being 100% accurate. If the tactical situations are interesting and you manage to capture the feel of the conflict, that's good enough even if you don't have the exact model of tank.

Can't agree strongly enough.

Do it @Haiduk I can promise you it would be appreciated!

Thanks guys, but this anyway will be demand next module, where will be air-assault units and real winter terrain, I hope. And many other stuff like ZU-23, DShKM etc., without which impossible to show "feel of [ATO] conflict" %) Other two problems - relatevely small size of maps, which can allow CM2 engine and long time of even local clashes of small forces. 

Edited by Haiduk

Yes this is what I want the most too in the next module, fairly low tech stuff like DShKs, ZU-23s, BRM-1s and GRAD launchers rather than the latest developments in tank technology. Well ideally both of course but if I'd have to pick it'd be real stuff that actually saw some action on the field.

How are air assault units equipped differently than what we have at our disposal now?

How are air assault units equipped differently than what we have at our disposal now?

Almost completely different.....Most obviously BMPs are replaced by BMD & BTR-D airborne vehicles:

ZadorozhniyMuseum-0840-L.jpg

BMD-1

BMD-2%20010-L.jpg

BMD-2:

BMD-3_1.jpg

BMD-3

2008_Moscow_Victory_Day_Parade_-_BMD-4.j

BMD-4

bmd_4m_l1.jpg

BMD-4M

BTR-D_-_VTTV-Omsk-2009_(1).jpg

BTR-D

img-38.jpg

BTR-MD

btr-mdm-image01.jpg

BTR-MDM

But there are loads of other differences and unique units such as Sprut SD:

2008_Moscow_Victory_Day_Parade_-_2S25_Sp

@Haiduk  Am I correct in my recollection that the Ukrainian Airborne still use the 2B9 Vasilek auto-mortar?

Minomet-2B9-Vasylok-odniyeyi-z-brygad-DS

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

UKR paratrooper forces is divided on air-assault (before 2017 named airmobile troops) and airborne. In 2014-2015 airmobile had BTR-80, HMMWV M1097A1(substituted on Spartan armored cars in 2015). Airborne had different park of BMDs (-1, -2, -D, -RD) and 2S9 Nona SP-gun.

Russian invasion forces in 2014 also almost on half consisted of airborne forces on BMD-2 and 2S9. Both side paratroopers have played decisive role in many operations. Also BMD and 2S9 vehicles (captured and delivered by Russia) were on armament of separs. 

Since 2016 air-assault troops got new vehicles: APC BTR-3DA, armored cars Dozor-B and Kozak-2, though still use BTR-80 too. Single airborne unit - 25th airborne brigade has BMDs only in one battalion, other already use BMP-1/2. Many BMDs were lost during active phase of warfare, but too much also were decommissioned.

Edited by Haiduk

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Artkin said:

They should all port to CMRT with 0 issues I imagine. You have to hexedit them which only takes a minute

Thank, do you mean "hexedit" the editor from the game, or the freeware sorry I am not an expert to created maps and scenarios...?

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

@JM Stuff please follow this link, the process is simple, you only need to do what is in thr first post. Replace "0A" with "08". 0A represents CMBS, and 08 represents CMRT. 

Using this you can use maps from different games at your leisure. 

If you read the whole thread there are ways to move (some) stubborn maps over too

• 3 months later...
On 1/24/2020 at 6:49 AM, Zveroboy1 said:

Hmm yes you probably need 8GB to be comfortable.

I don't know why I said Horlivka, my bad. Well I have one of the Gagarin mine near Chyhari that I will probably try to finish next. But I meant Vuhlehirsk.

muxDlBk.png

What's the status on this? Awaiting another map dump from you. I love your maps. I love how you got tiny barns to act as foyers for larger module buildings. I'm having a blast and I want MORE!!!!!!!!!!