Operation Trident Juncture 2018

On 10/26/2018 at 4:10 PM, DerKommissar said:

4B3F680300000578-5625165-image-a-35_1523

I remember learning a few things over at the Vostok 2018 forum. Any grogheads following this training?

Not really following it, but seems the Danish flag is missing in the map above - DK sends a battalion sized 'kampgruppe' too. About 1300 troops in total.

https://www2.forsvaret.dk/nyheder/intops/Pages/Over1000danskesoldatererigangmedåretsstørsteNATO-øvelse.aspx

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

Not really following it, but seems the Danish flag is missing in the map above - DK sends a battalion sized 'kampgruppe' too. About 1300 troops in total.

https://www2.forsvaret.dk/nyheder/intops/Pages/Over1000danskesoldatererigangmedåretsstørsteNATO-øvelse.aspx

Yeah, I can't find an all inclusive map. It is surprising how many nations are involved in this gig -- including non-NATO nations like Sweden and Finland.

I didn't even know Iceland was in NATO, and the naval part (quite sizable, Canada sent like 4+ ships there). They don't even have a military, do they?

21719552_0.jpg

4 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Ah, no. It’s just hidden under the German/British blob. 😎

3 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:
7 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Ah, no. It’s just hidden under the German/British blob. 😎

As long as it's not under the Swedish blob :)

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, =Marder= said:

I think M2´s and MG3´s will make it even further 🙂
Its not like there is a replacement for them in sight that is in all aspects viable.

Wasn't the MG5 (HK121) set to replace the MG3?  It is in service.  Are there production issues that prevent full replacement?  Or are the Germans reluctant to retire the old warhorse?

13 hours ago, homewrecker said:

Wasn't the MG5 (HK121) set to replace the MG3?  It is in service.  Are there production issues that prevent full replacement?  Or are the Germans reluctant to retire the old warhorse?

I'm guessing they're still in their very early production and adoption. New designs like that will no doubt go through a few revisions before being greenlit to replace a current design.

And that's only in the German army -- no doubt the MG3s in other armies, such as the Portuguese, will hit the century and maybe even exceed it.

Some info in the air assets that participated:

21724383_0.jpg

I didn't know COBHAM was a country...

I think I have read that the MG3 will be kept by the Bundeswehr for certain roles like vehicle mounted MG. And I remember that many people preferred it at the long firing ranges in the Afghan mountains.

Phantastic machine, my favorite weapon when I served. A little heavy at 11.5 kg, but the best thing to have when the bad guys show up. Once we removed each second round from the belt and fired on a 30cm (12.2 inch) target at 600 m. No problem to hit with the first shot. Additionally, it is really robust and the exchange mechanisms for barrel and breechblock are very well designed and easy to use. By the way, it is the only machine I ever heard of that the performance was lowered. It fires a little slower compared to ist father, the MG42. The reason mentioned was that no materal can stand that amount of heat and besides that, nobody can carry so much ammo forward. Not sure that 10 to 20% lower firing rate really cures that.

Certainly, the M2 HB and MG3 will be in service for many more years to come.

One thing that always annoys me a little when playing CM is when the MG is fired in a kneeling position. There is no such position in the instructions (if I remeber properly) and it would produce an awful wandering upwards. Nearly always it is fired lying on the ground, or, during attack from the hip with the strap fixed to the centre and slung around the neck. Left hand then takes both legs of the bipod. Nice, stable firing possible then like the automatic gunners in Alien2. It was in the Bundeswehr regulation and I did it. See Wehmacht usage at

• 2 months later...
On 12/13/2018 at 4:36 AM, homewrecker said:

MG5 for inf MG3 still stays as vehicle weapon. Coax and such.

On 10/29/2018 at 2:06 PM, DerKommissar said:

I didn't even know Iceland was in NATO, and the naval part (quite sizable, Canada sent like 4+ ships there). They don't even have a military, do they?

You obviously never played any Harpoon back in the day (or that modern update, CMANO), read Red Storm Rising or heard of the brutal Cod Wars?

The GIUK gap & Iceland were, in some ways, more strategically important than the Fulda gap during the Cold War.

On 2/23/2019 at 2:35 PM, 37mm said:

You obviously never played any Harpoon back in the day (or that modern update, CMANO), read Red Storm Rising or heard of the brutal Cod Wars?

The GIUK gap & Iceland were, in some ways, more strategically important than the Fulda gap during the Cold War.

I did recently watch a documentary on the Atlantic, during WW2. Iceland was critical to trans-continental shipping. The same applies today, you're certainly right. Britain even invaded it in 1940, because they wanted to stay neutral.

Ski-Troops-Trident-Juncture-218.png

3640_tn718.jpg

Some locals, practicing for Biathlon.

I also have been watching a series covering the Winter War. Considering how critical skis were to Finnish mobility, it's good to see them.

Trident-Juncture-2018-area-of-operations