Modern Day to WW2 worth it?

My opinion might be skewed, but I did myself to death on hedge rows during the teething time of CMBN. The most fun I've had with WW2 CMx2 has been with FB. Late model US units, late war German units and formations......and snow. A close second is the Market Garden expansion of CMBN, that is a blast too, much different terrain then the rest of the game. But lately I've been playing CMBS cause it's my most recent buy, waiting for the upgrade for CMSF2 to drop.

1 hour ago, DerKommissar said:

It'd be so cool if we had a grand western front campaign, which starts in Sicily and ends in the Rhine.

I know if BF ever made a WWII CMx2 Platoon Level Game System (like the one that was in development for CMBB back in the CMx1 days), then I would be on the Band Wagon.

Edited by JoMc67

As Mord said earlier one of the big differences is lethality of everything. I find that my soldiers are alot more likely to get killed by shrapnel from an explosion (near and far) or a single shot from a small arm. I find at the end of one of my games in BS or SF i have a lot more lightly wounded soldiers where in all the WW2 titles usually they're critically wounded or dead. And tank warfare is very different with slower turret turn times and a much worse spotting ability which really adds to the realism and excitement in a match. I do think its worth it if you do have the slightest interest in the Second World War, some of the battles get very intense and bloody.

12 hours ago, Mark_McLeod said:

As Mord said earlier one of the big differences is lethality of everything. I find that my soldiers are alot more likely to get killed by shrapnel from an explosion (near and far) or a single shot from a small arm. I find at the end of one of my games in BS or SF i have a lot more lightly wounded soldiers where in all the WW2 titles usually they're critically wounded or dead. And tank warfare is very different with slower turret turn times and a much worse spotting ability which really adds to the realism and excitement in a match. I do think its worth it if you do have the slightest interest in the Second World War, some of the battles get very intense and bloody.

Those air-burst munitions, eh? A single one can make a fresh squad combat-ineffective. Everyone has automatics, so a single crew can spew lead and pin/wound a squad.

Modern tank battles feel a lot like the Wild West, be quick or be dead. I've rarely had actual exchanges of fire, usually the victor doesn't need more than two shots. In WW2, you can actually have lengthy tank exchanges, with rounds more likely to miss or bounce off and less likely to cause catastrophic damage.

14 hours ago, Mark_McLeod said:

...at the end of one of my games in BS or SF i have a lot more lightly wounded soldiers where in all the WW2 titles usually they're critically wounded or dead. 

That is interesting.  While CMSF generally had a major objective of reducing friendly casualties to a minimum. My experience with CMBS is that it is by far the most "lethal" environment - far more lethal than WW2.  After the minimal casualties of CMSF, CMBS can be quite depressing to play if it reflects RL results.  

Perhaps individual player's styles of play make a big difference.  

15 hours ago, Mark_McLeod said:

I find at the end of one of my games in BS or SF i have a lot more lightly wounded soldiers where in all the WW2 titles usually they're critically wounded or dead.

I think they added that to the WW2 titles recently. Could just be something I imagine, but I think I see many more lightly wounded in CMFB 4.0 than I did in CMBN 3.12. Or maybe it's just because they now made the squad icon flash when taking a "yellow wound", whereas it used to only flash when somebody went down.

2 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I think they added that to the WW2 titles recently. Could just be something I imagine, but I think I see many more lightly wounded in CMFB 4.0 than I did in CMBN 3.12. Or maybe it's just because they now made the squad icon flash when taking a "yellow wound", whereas it used to only flash when somebody went down.

I think it's just the flashing that's changed. Anecdotally I think I do see more light wounds in CMBS. I've always assumed (based on something someone said on the forum) this represents that body armor will stop bullets and shrapnel but soldiers who've been hit may still be dazed, bruised, concussed, or have broken bones.

13 hours ago, SubCmdr said:

Thanks again everyone for the response. I have decided on and got BN. I have yet to spend a large amount of time in it yet but from what I have seen I am really liking it. Thanks again for all the input.

Nice. I on the other hand am looking at making my first CM2 game purchase and this thread has all but confirmed CM:FI as my choice.

Not to derail the thread but a quick question regarding Quick Battle AI. I'm currently watching some of ChrisND's excellent YT uploads and have been impressed by the AI in CM:BS Quick Battles. Have the older titles like CM:FI and CM:BN benefited from improvements in Quick Battle AI over the years with updates?

2 hours ago, AlanSA said:

Nice. I on the other hand am looking at making my first CM2 game purchase and this thread has all but confirmed CM:FI as my choice.

Not to derail the thread but a quick question regarding Quick Battle AI. I'm currently watching some of ChrisND's excellent YT uploads and have been impressed by the AI in CM:BS Quick Battles. Have the older titles like CM:FI and CM:BN benefited from improvements in Quick Battle AI over the years with updates?

FI is great, especially for those of us who long for early war. Gotta love playing with/against the Italians. From what I understand, the general plans of AI are map-based (and, so, depend on the map maker), and the tactical means-to-the-end come from the actual engine (which is shared across 4.0 games). From my experience, the capabilities of AI in quick battle are roughly the same across the board. You can also customize the amount of points the AI get, much how most RTS "difficulty" works.

1 hour ago, SubCmdr said:

I got the Big Bundle... so I got everything. 🙂

Good choice, my Romulan friend. I hope you really like hedgerows...

3 hours ago, AlanSA said:

Have the older titles like CM:FI and CM:BN benefited from improvements in Quick Battle AI over the years with updates?

No, the old scenarios have mostly not been updated to use the new AI orders that the map designer can now use, such as triggers and the withdraw order. My advice is to stay away from quick battles against the computer completely. They don't work well. The game shines in scenarios and campaigns where you play the attacker. And it excels when playing against a human opponent.