• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
SLIM

Suggestions Needed

9 posts in this topic

I'm finally getting down to making more TTP videos, but I wanted to ask the denizens of GDF for some ideas.

The next several parts will be focused on characteristics, performance, and use of supporting weapons. Primarily Machineguns, Mortars, Anti-Tank Guns, and On-Map Artillery.
I have a couple ideas as far as video format goes, but I wanted to ask the potential audience.

Idea #1 - Purely informative lecture for each sub-category of weapon, with limited demonstration of it's use, and general characteristics.

Sort of like these:

Idea #2 - The creation of some type of 'Assault Course' that would require target engagement, show the effects of fire, require re-deployment, and show comparative performance between competing weapon systems.

For example, a machinegun begins in an emplaced position deployed. It engages targets at various ranges, once destroyed it then un-deploys, moves down a path through various obstacles and terrain, enters an ambush scenario requiring the use of crew small-arms, then must immediately deploy to engage targets advancing on it.

Notes would be taken of how long it takes to set up or take down the gun, how heavy the gun is, and how easy it is to move, how effective the crew can be with their typical small arms, and how capable the weapon is at stopping a determined advance by a few squads.

My question to you folks is, which approach would prove more valuable to the Combat Mission player?

Idea #2 by a long shot...

On 8/10/2017 at 1:51 PM, IanL said:

Idea #2 by a long shot...

+1.  Absolutely!  #2 gets my vote.  Thank you.

SLIM,

Absolutely concur with IanL and Badger73. Features and characteristics are great, but showing how to employ the weapon in a tactical context is, to my mind, pure gold or even latinum!

Regards,

John Kettler

Sounds good to me. Now I just have to bury myself in the map editor for a couple days.

I found a machine gun range layout diagram, now I'm just trying to plan the rest of the course.
Can anyone point me towards information about how assault courses are laid out?

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 3:28 AM, SLIM said:

I found a machine gun range layout diagram, now I'm just trying to plan the rest of the course.
Can anyone point me towards information about how assault courses are laid out?

I'm not sure you will get much value out of building an assault course in CM to add any value to your excellent tutorials.  However FWIW the ones I have had inflicted on me generally involve ...

a set of under over bars of 2 (ish) and 4 (ish) feet high which predictably involve going under the first lot and over the second lot

a 10 foot (ish) wall

a 6 foot (ish) sand pit which must be jumped

an 8 foot (ish) high confidence thing which you run up and then along, leap over a gap and then run down the other side.

a 6 foot (ish) wall

a rope swing thing over a gap

a climbing net of about 20-30 foot (ish)

a barbed wire obstacle or concrete pipe to crawl under/through

lots of shouty people telling you to try harder

All laid out over about 3-400 yards

5 hours ago, Combatintman said:

I'm not sure you will get much value out of building an assault course in CM to add any value to your excellent tutorials.

Well, the idea is to have the team engage targets, run through various terrain until they're tired, then setup, and engage targets again.
This performance would be calculated against a clock, with points scored for accuracy.

Basically, the idea is for a high-energy comparison test between different types of weapons.
I.E. M1917HMG vs Vickers MG.