Dunkirk - the movie

Yes I imagine the events leading up to the success of Dynamo had very little to do with complex terrain, horrendous attrition and subsequent low operational ready rates in German spearhead formations. To say nothing of the suicidally stout rearguard. Rather it must be that Hitler and the Royals were playing footsies and batting their eyelashes at one another.

Ah, but I have another theory: Proving once again to the world that the bonnie wee Island is in fact God's garden of Eden, John Bull and St. George -arms linked and riding little ponies- descended from the clouds to rampage through the German ranks, torching supply trucks and slapping away artillery and bombs; filling the second little Corporal with fear. Miracle at Dunkirk, indeed.

Edited by Rinaldi
Rule Britannia

15 hours ago, Erwin said:

One of the last untold and suppressed stories was the extent to which the Brit Royals and aristocracy were Nazi sympathizers or outright collaborators.  Hope I am around long enuff for that to be declassified.

What has that got to do with this movie? And besides we've all known about their politics for decades.

What I want to know is does the movie depict my Granddad Fitz bringing his Limey (NOT Brit) mates home in his Bedford Guinness tanker lorry?  

5 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

And besides we've all known about their politics for decades.

Yeah, I think even Churchill's memoir alludes briefly to it, and he was a great fan of the Royal Family. In any event the story is hardly untold and not so much suppressed as ignored.

Michael

8 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Yeah, I think even Churchill's memoir alludes briefly to it, and he was a great fan of the Royal Family. In any event the story is hardly untold and not so much suppressed as ignored.

Michael

King Edward VIII's leangings are well, or should be, known in UK from newspapers, books and at least one movie (based on Japanese authors book), depicts British uppper class Nazi sympathies  - Remains of the Day hasn't caused any riots up the Mall, I spose for even those that are aware, as it's history.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3165923/Pictured-Queen-taught-NAZI-SALUTE-Edward-VIII-secret-1933-film-Balmoral.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4712010/Churchill-s-bid-cover-Duke-s-link-Nazis.html

Edited by Wicky

9 hours ago, Wicky said:

King Edward VIII's leangings are well, or should be, known in UK from newspapers, books and at least one movie (based on Japanese authors book), depicts British uppper class Nazi sympathies  - Remains of the Day hasn't caused any riots up the Mall, I spose for even those that are aware, as it's history.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3165923/Pictured-Queen-taught-NAZI-SALUTE-Edward-VIII-secret-1933-film-Balmoral.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4712010/Churchill-s-bid-cover-Duke-s-link-Nazis.html

The day will come that history will judge differently on this people. A Europe, or even a western world, as we know it, will be gone forever by then, but history will acknowledge ww1 and ww2 as the main cause for the destruction of western culture and it's achievements. Give it another 70 years. Perhaps these people just realized earlier the danger of demonizing and cornering the Germans. There are so many good books by good historians nowadays (which show that we know nothing about ww2 and which are simply swept aside as revisionism or even neo-nazism) that it wonders me why people still get their information out of questionable sources like Churchills memoirs or even British newspapers.

47 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

The day will come that history will judge differently on this people. A Europe, or even a western world, as we know it, will be gone forever by then, but history will acknowledge ww1 and ww2 as the main cause for the destruction of western culture and it's achievements. Give it another 70 years. Perhaps these people just realized earlier the danger of demonizing and cornering the Germans. There are so many good books by good historians nowadays (which show that we know nothing about ww2 and which are simply swept aside as revisionism or even neo-nazism) that it wonders me why people still get their information out of questionable sources like Churchills memoirs or even British newspapers.

Your kidding right?

Suggest you start with researching Hitler's attitude to Expressionism, Cubism, Dadaism, Fauvism, futurism or objective realism. van Gogh, Matisse, Kandinsky, Picasso and Cezanne - then look at Hitller's own paintings to understand who contributed more to Western Culture.

Read up on how revisionist David Irving lost his Holocaust libel case.

And finish with watching film from liberated concentration camps at the close of the war if you think poor Nazis are misunderstood.

Meanwhile at Paddy's Bar up in Heaven. Paddy serves Brian his lunchtime G'n'T and pours himself a pint of Black.

Paddy:- "So Mr. Jorrocks, sir. What do you'se think of this heres movie about Dunkirk?"

Brian:- "Well, Sgt. I thought that that Attenborough chappy was pretty good. Although some of my chums at The Army and Navy Club say that he is a bit of a Bolshy. And that he plans on becoming a director, and making a movie about Arnhem with some chinless wonder called Fox playing me."

Paddy:- "Ah, Mr. Jorrocks, sir. In the name of the Baby Jesus it'll never happen." 

Richard Attenborough Dunkirk.jpg

Edited by Warts 'n' all

Brian :-  "Oh, look my glass is empty. Top her up Sgt, and have another one for yourself."

Paddy :- "Ah, bless yer very soul Mr Jorrocks, sir. Do you'se remember that cafe on the beach that we stopped off at on the ways to the mole? I grabbed you their last bottle of Gordons, and helped meself to last of their John Martin's Guinness."

hunt-robert-still-taken-from-the-dunkirk-film-depicting-wounded-soldiers-near-dunkirk.jpg

4 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

While it is true that history of WW2 was written by the victors who whitewashed their own actions and over simplified anything that interfered with a clear cut good vs. evil perspective, one thing they did NOT get wrong in ANY serious way was the documentation and conclusions about the moral and cultural death spiral of Fascist societies.  The bloodthirsty evilness of the fascist ideologies, not just Nazism, is one of those.  In fact, the more time goes by the more danger there is that the truth of their ruthlessness and depravity being forgotten, whitewashed, or otherwise diminished from society's consciousness.  Which will then allow it to creep back in, just like it is all across Europe, the US, and elsewhere.

So yes, let's question the memoirs of Churchill where appropriate, but let's never question the likes of Dachau.  European culture might be under threat to some, but they should not ever get it into their heads that Fascism is a solution.  It was responsible for the single biggest destruction of European culture since the Mongols invaded.  Fascism = exploitation and ruin, which are the opposites of protection.  That's the lesson that should come screaming out of any serious study of history.

Closing this thread up.

Steve