OK... that was awesome!

So still trying to decide which to get first: Normandy or FB... so I downloaded the FB demo as well and really only launched the first mission to see what it looked like and didn't expect to play it out.  But I left the game paused after just a few seconds and spent time with my wife for the evening, then came up to see how bad I'd lose (on easy level of course...) and I won!  Total Allied Victory!  Yeah yeah, easy mode, only my second game of the system, but still was pretty cool.  Early mistakes at first, but got better acquainted with the camera system, the pause and resume, waypointing move orders, better use of cover, etc...  Coolest thing I saw was, we two things.

First was just cool to do... We "saw" finally an anti-tank gun all the way across the map.  And he had my tank in sight!  So started the tank moving out of the way and when he had a shot, told him to take it and KA-POO-YAH!  it went!

Second happened first and is cool on the part of the game developers.  Squad of two soldiers (I guess recon?) early on I ran them up with the others and one guy got hit, told the other guy to hide and he did.  But then a few minutes later he crawled over to his buddy and started attending to his wounds.  WOW!

All this is nothing you guys haven't seen before, but hooked is a truth. 

Not just to decide which one to get first (cannot be both!)  Love the though of all the Normandy content... but like the feel of FB too.

7 hours ago, klkitchens said:

Early mistakes at first, but got better acquainted with the camera system, the pause and resume...

Just thought i would check...

As you mentioned 'pause and resume' it kind of sounds like you are playing in REAL TIME

Are you aware of the option to play in WEGO ? and what WEGO is ?

As a newbie you might have missed this playstyle-option...If you have not and already are aware of what WEGO is and perhaps already are playing in that mode...

Please disregard this post...B)

And also...You are offcourse free to play in any mode you chose...If you play in REAL TIME or WEGO is entirely up to you...

If you are not aware of WEGO however it's atleast worth checking out.

26 minutes ago, RepsolCBR said:

As you mentioned 'pause and resume' it kind of sounds like you are playing in REAL TIME

As a newbie you might have missed this playstyle-option...If you have not and already are aware of what WEGO is and perhaps already are playing in that mode...

And also...You are offcourse free to play in any mode you chose...If you play in REAL TIME or WEGO is entirely up to you...

Yeah I know about both but prefer the convenience of real time with pause. Seems more real.  I hated RTS without pause in the past (where orders could be given that is)

I'm new to this game but long time PC gamer of all genres. Even ran a website for gaming news and reviews in the 90s. :)

56 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

But you should realize that this could lead to the breakup of your marriage.

;)

Michael

Nah. 27 years she's put up with ME.  Another game won't change anything. :) 

31 minutes ago, RepsolCBR said:

To sum up what RepsolCBR has stated; "WEGO is the only way to go" :D

Edited by JoMc67

One of the biggest advantages of WEGO is the fact that you can save recordings of all the action and watch it over and over. I personally spend more time watching the previous turn than actually giving orders. Not trying to push you towards any play style, but just pointing out one of WEGO's big advantages. One that may very well intensify your addiction.

Keep having fun regardless of play mode. I still remember my first battle, and my god it was so cool. I'm pretty sure we can all relate to your enthusiasm.

OK cool... WEGO is pretty neatly implemented here too. :)

Frozen Synapse has this as well (a very cool game in its own right) where you program the actions of the units and then let it fly.

Couple of more questions.  Apart from missions and region, etc... are CMBN and CMFB essentially the same game?  So it's a matter of theme?

Also is the CM:Touch app any good for iPad?  Just searched the AppStore  today to see if there was something similar and discovered there was an official version for mobile.  but from 2014 and it seems to be all there is.  Not as a replacement for the PC version, but for went on trips and waiting at stores, etc?

3 hours ago, sttp said:

One of the biggest advantages of WEGO is the fact that you can save recordings of all the action and watch it over and over.

This can grow in importance as you may become more and more perfectionist in your play. Being able to watch a turn repeatedly from different angles means that you aren't apt to miss anything. And that can mean life or death for your units. Besides, it's fun to watch all the stuff that goes on in a turn.

:)

Michael

23 minutes ago, klkitchens said:

Apart from missions and region, etc... are CMBN and CMFB essentially the same game?

Essentially, yes. But there are also variations of TO&E for the sides as time passes. FB basically covers a period about six months later than BN, so there are some significant changes. Similarly, and even more dramatic is the difference between these two ETO settings and the year earlier setting and different environment of FI when you get ready to give that a try.

Michael

4 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

This can grow in importance as you may become more and more perfectionist in your play. Being able to watch a turn repeatedly from different angles means that you aren't apt to miss anything. And that can mean life or death for your units. Besides, it's fun to watch all the stuff that goes on in a turn.

:)

Michael

Especially true with larger battles. You're over "here" watching when all of a sudden a tank explodes over "there". It's great to rewind the turn and watch how "that" side of the action developed during the turn.

I think that one of the greatest benefits with tiny and small scenarios are the possibility to play them in real time.

Sort of like being the platoon comander and shouting out my orders directly to the troops 'on the fly'...B)

It is indeed a welcome variation to the WEGO mode that i usually play but when playing real time  i try  to limit myself to something like a platoon sized or reduced company sized forces .

Anything bigger then that and i find it hard to keep track of everything

Company sized and above i play WEGO...

Only issue I have with WEGO is that I know for a 1:20 mission, it's going to be 80 turns I have to keep adjusting the troops.

Can the granularity of the turns be increased or decreased somewhere I'm missing?

Also, is there anyway that when something happens to a unit we can see who it happened to?  A log file/window perhaps?

53 minutes ago, klkitchens said:

Only issue I have with WEGO is that I know for a 1:20 mission, it's going to be 80 turns I have to keep adjusting the troops.

LOL well you don't *have* to adjust everyone, every time :) But I get it it is tempting. You can skip over minutes where not much happens by fast forwarding through minutes that don't have a lot going on. So you can actually save time - if you like.

Can the granularity of the turns be increased or decreased somewhere I'm missing?

Nope. It come up every now and then but I really don't see any appetite to change that.

Also, is there anyway that when something happens to a unit we can see who it happened to?  A log file/window perhaps?

This also comes up and is very much something that is thought about. Hopefully some day it will rise to the top of the to do list.

3 hours ago, klkitchens said:

It's the granularity and detail that is attractive to most CM devotees.  CM2 is the tactical version of Grigsby's War In The Pacific if you know that classic game.  You kinda have to enjoy micromanaging to enjoy the CM series.  What takes time is rewinding the turn video to see what happened to every unit.  But, that is also fun for most of us - a bit like watching a war film.

1 minute ago, Erwin said:

It's the granularity and detail that is attractive to most CM devotees.  CM2 is the tactical version of Grigsby's War In The Pacific if you know that classic game.  You kinda have to enjoy micromanaging to enjoy the CM series.  What takes time is rewinding the turn video to see what happened to every unit.  But, that is also fun for most of us - a bit like watching a war film.

Well, I asked if it could be increased OR decreased.  Wasn't complaining just inquiring.

Re: Granularity and the ability to rewind and watch from other perspectives.

I was testing a battle before CMBN was released. My Americans were pressing some Germans in a dense forest. I split my platoon and had one part pushing forward while the other squad flanked Huns. With WeGo, I could NOT intervene while the turn unfolded. My frontal guys area fired, then advanced. They saw two Germans who knelt and surrendered. The flanking squad did not see the Germans, just a "?" spot. They fired...and killed the surrendering Germans. It had an amazing emotional impact on me for a game. The ability to rewind and watch it from the perspective of the different squads was great. I would've missed it in RT...

It also points up how fun it is to lose control over your units for the turn. In RT you can always stop time and adjust. In WeGo, if you give bad orders (like running across a street which you thought was clear), your men suffer and you cannot change a thing...until the turn ends.

Good stuff.

49 minutes ago, c3k said:

Re: Granularity and the ability to rewind and watch from other perspectives.

It also points up how fun it is to lose control over your units for the turn. In RT you can always stop time and adjust. In WeGo, if you give bad orders (like running across a street which you thought was clear), your men suffer and you cannot change a thing...until the turn ends.

Good stuff.

Yeah. Can be frustrating but I console myself that in real time I would not be able to monitor everything either. 

Had it happen today in CMBN demo. Snuck two tanks toward the farm and opened fire on one building. About 15 seconds into the turn an AP shot came at one tank.   Uh oh!  About 30 seconds in the next shot hit. Oh dear. That long 30 seconds too forever, but the next shot wiped it and the crew from battle. :(

I've spent much time since that turn figuring how to take out that AT Gun!!! When I get back to it. 

17 minutes ago, klkitchens said:

Had it happen today in CMBN demo. Snuck two tanks toward the farm and opened fire on one building. About 15 seconds into the turn an AP shot came at one tank.   Uh oh!  About 30 seconds in the next shot hit. Oh dear. That long 30 seconds too forever, but the next shot wiped it and the crew from battle. :(

I had that happen the first time I played the demo.

17 minutes ago, klkitchens said:

I've spent much time since that turn figuring how to take out that AT Gun!!! When I get back to it. 

Mortars are your friends.

Michael

26 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

I had that happen the first time I played the demo.

Mortars are your friends.

Michael

I knew I should have said "no suggestions please" but as Mortars are part of my planned solution, no harm done. :)

My personality likes to solve problems my own first and get help only when I need it. 

Edited by klkitchens