CMPzC Operation "Bloody Christmas" (Ortona '43)

Cider Crossroads, I am on my way!

Kuderian, I think you are just going the "cider" lol

Chappy, D Company awaiting your order. When should we get the bbt file ?

I just sent in our initial setup to Koh.  He is still tinkering with the map, org, etc to make sure things are good to go, and will add our sub-units to starting positions.  Once everything is good to start (both German and Canadian sides) I will be sending him our advance moves.  I will let you guys know my "commander's intent" before anything starts, so we are all on the same page, tactically, before the battle starts.  Welcome aboard you two!

OC A Sqn, Trois-Rivieres reporting in for duty. I will be conducting a personal reconnaissance of the area of operations for the next month to get the lay of the land. Apparently, the Germans are attempting to smuggle important Renaissance artwork out of Florence and thus I will base my efforts out of there. Furthermore, local intelligence reports that the Germans are taking a page from the Bilbo Baggins dwarf smuggling handbook and will be hiding the priceless artifacts inside of wine barrels. Accordingly, I will be searching all wine barrels in Tuscany and will not rest until they are all empty!

Edited by Stonecutter

They all promised to stay clear. So you can use this one OR feel free to create one of your very own. I prefer we stay here. Axis side players have been told they may do an AAR if they desire. I am giving them guidance in an FGM private thread.

Edited by kohlenklau

Welcome Commanders and Guests!

Gentlemen of War!  Welcome aboard, Commanders (and there are 11 of us) and Guests to the Ortona “Bloody Christmas” campaign – an umpire driven campaign in CM. Speaking of umpires, a huge thank you to the God Creator, Kohlenklau, and his gang of mappers who have brought this campaign to life.  Both as a Canadian and a retired officer of the Royal Canadian Regiment (one of the regiments that actually fought here and is represented in this campaign), I am both honoured and thankful to have the opportunity to do so.  I am also happy to see so much interest in this particular campaign, and hope that everyone has tons of fun, eh? :)

Ortona - a brief history

The Battle for Ortona would later be coined, "Little Stalingrad", due to the ferocity and complexity of the urban battle that was fought in the city. This bloody campaign would eventually grind down three divisions: one Canadian and two German, and the city would be demolished into heaps of rubble.

For those not familiar with this campaign, the battle for Ortona took place along the southeast coast of Italy in December 1943. Monty tasked 1 Canadian Infantry Division (1 CID) with the taking of Ortona for two main reasons: 1) to hopefully bring relief to the embattled US divisions south of Rome, on the other coast, and 2) to secure one of the only deep ports on the east coast of Italy, complete with rail transportation - a logistical gem for the future. Because the port was so important, it was forbidden to plan/implement airstrikes and naval bombardment/heavy artillery on the actual town, for fear of damaging the port facilities.

1 CID had originally landed at Pachino, Sicily, and had fought its way north along the interior of the island, between the US and British forces. The soldiers had plenty of combat experience. But due to the broken ground and mountainous terrain, the Division had never really had a good chance to fight operationally as one - so Ortona was it's first time fighting as a complete division.  Chris Vokes was Commander 1 CID, a recent appointment for him, a virgin divisional commander.

Opposing the Canadians were two German divisions:  the 90th Panzergrenadier Division, that fought an impressive defence and withdrawal from the Moro River to Ortona.  But gaining legendary status was 1st Fallschirmjager Division that fought tooth and nail in defense of the city itself. 

This battle would last from 6 to 28 December, 1943. Some 500 Canadians would die, and a total casualty count approximately 4,000 – a staggering amount for 1 CID.  The casualty records for both German divisions were lost, but both of them were decimated.  Place names and landmarks here, such as the Moro River crossing, Sterlin Castle, the Gully, Casa Berardi (where a Canadian infantry officer won the Victoria Cross), and Cider Crossroads, figure prominently in this campaign. At “The Gully” alone, the battle raged for eight days of carnage (on the campaign map the gully winds from the coast, along the river, to Cider Crossroads). Having visited Ortona myself in 2011, I can attest to this difficult terrain feature: steep sides, a long drop, and lots of vegetation.

In the end, the Canadians secured the rubble of Ortona over the Christmas holidays. Soldiers actually had Christmas dinner in one of the churches in Ortona while the battle raged around them.  The port itself was damaged by the Germans and required months to repair.

Those damn paratroopers…..

Units placed in your desired start positions. Ready for turn 1 moves.

Yellow arc is your 4.2" heavy mortars max range.

Blue arcs are movement range for the various groupings.

Possibly based on more units set as "recon" type units you have more enemy units spotted.

In San Donato, an AA gun unit with X guns as well as an infantry unit with XX men.

In San Leonardo, an AA gun with X guns.

In 2,5 an AT gun with X guns and an infantry unit with XX men.

Turn1_zpsogouogyj.jpg

Commander’s Intent

“Gentlemen, Commander’s Intent.”

“Battlegroup Chappy, based on the Royal Canadian Regiment and a squadron of Three Rivers Regiment (Tanks) will spearhead 1 CID’s advance across the Moro River (Torrente Moro) and seize the city and port of Ortona intact.

I see this operation unfolding in 4 phases.

For Phase 1, during a preliminary artillery bombardment of the San Leonardo area, A and B Coys, complete with armour and engineer assets, will conduct an advance-to-contact to the Moro River, south of San Leonardo. After the infantry have crossed the fordable river, the engineers will attempt to complete three bridge crossings for the armour and follow on forces. A and B Coys will then seize San Leonardo. While this is transpiring, 4 PLDG will probe San Donato and take out the guns there, if possible.

For Phase 2, C and D Coys will pass through the lead companies and seize Casa Berardi.

For Phase 3, the ground between Casa Berardi and Ortona is tank country. Three Rivers Regiment (Tanks) will form squadron and with 4 PLDG, they will advance through Cider Crossroads to the outskirts of Ortona.

For Phase 4, the final phase, Battlegroup Chappy, complete, will conduct a frontal urban assault on the city of Ortona and invest it.

Gentlemen, good luck and good fighting.”

Koh: more detailed orders are coming to you separately, later today

I rolled a die and you do not get any air support for turn 1.

I made up a chart for die roll for allied air support:

die roll 1 thru 3 is no missions.

die roll 4 is 1 air recce mission

die roll 5 is 1 attack mission

die roll 6 is 1 of each.

If you get it, you can use it during the PzC turn only and must call out a hex..

Air recce mission is 1 aircraft. Attack mission is 5 aircraft.