PBEM AAR - Muddy Waters (Video)

Finally managed to find the time to sit back and bang out a narration for this PBEM match I concluded with a friend not too long ago on the scenario H2H "Muddy Waters." The scenario is by a gentleman named Bimmer and is one of those 'plausible' or typical scenarios not based on any true to life action. You can download the mission here.

The video:

(Hopefully my voice won the battle of wills for you this time, Mord)

My plan was to probe either ford and decide which one would be better to force a crossing at(2); then exploit. The Americans start with quite a bit of intelligence (1), to simulate FFI partisans reporting enemy dispositions to you, and my first definitive contact came at the left most ford, hence where I focused my main effort. A lucky break early in the game allowed me to punch deeply to the 2nd Phase-Line and engage enemies along their route of approach while I cleared enemies along the 1st Phase-Line with less mobile forces. Unfortunately, I got into a knife fight with enemy SPGs in restrictive terrain - casualties were acceptable, but a personal shock to me. First time I've won a match but taken more casaulties!

Bimmer made a highly entertaining scenario that provides a healthy challenge to both sides. In hindsight, to anyone planning on doing a match on this, I recommend the stronger or more experienced player goes German. The Allies eventually completely overmatch the Axis, so my wild flailing near the end practically guaranteed a victory.

PS: Moderators, I don't want to clog up the forums, should I collect all my videos (as I make them quite often...) into a single thread, or are individual posts like this allowed?

PS: Moderators, I don't want to clog up the forums, should I collect all my videos (as I make them quite often...) into a single thread, or are individual posts like this allowed?

Its not my forum, so I could be slapped, but most people who post AARs start one thread fro each one. That way the discussion stays in the right place.

You can insert pictures directly like this:

Finally managed to find the time to sit back and bang out a narration for this PBEM match I concluded with a friend not too long ago on the scenario H2H "Muddy Waters." The scenario is by a gentleman named Bimmer and is one of those 'plausible' or typical scenarios not based on any true to life action. You can download the mission here.

The video:

The_Plan_base.jpg

My plan was to probe either ford and decide which one would be better to force a crossing at(2); then exploit. The Americans start with quite a bit of intelligence (1), to simulate FFI partisans reporting enemy dispositions to you, and my first definitive contact came at the left most ford, hence where I focused my main effort. A lucky break early in the game allowed me to punch deeply to the 2nd Phase-Line and engage enemies along their route of approach while I cleared enemies along the 1st Phase-Line with less mobile forces.

AARscreen5.jpg

Unfortunately, I got into a knife fight with enemy SPGs in restrictive terrain - casualties were acceptable, but a personal shock to me. First time I've won a match but taken more casaulties!

Bimmer made a highly entertaining scenario that provides a healthy challenge to both sides. In hindsight, to anyone planning on doing a match on this, I recommend the stronger or more experienced player goes German. The Allies eventually completely overmatch the Axis, so my wild flailing near the end practically guaranteed a victory.

Nicely done. You certainly had some luck in catching a couple of the StuGs on the move, and I think the fact that you won the early battles and were able to get across the river without too much trouble allowed you to bring the reinforcements into play effectively.

I have to go back and see how I allocated points; I think I tended to undervalue the casualties against objectives, at least compared to what I've done in later scenarios. With losses like those, your force would be relatively combat ineffective by the end, in spite of capturing the objectives.

In any case, thanks for the feedback and the video AAR. It's helpful and very much appreciated.

You're quite welcome! I won't sit here and claim I'm a genius, but I'm usually the stronger player between myself and my opponent, so it was a massive (and much needed) ego boost for him - and a much needed slap in the face for me haha. It was frustrating but ultimately too easy, I wonder if the Assault Sherman and the M7s are necessary? The over matched firepower is 100 percent realistic for an Armored force pursuing a defeated foe, but all the same.

I was expecting a tactical victory - considering I had lost a quarter of my overall infantry, yeah. I don't think you should tweak the points all that much, if my input counts for anything, but certainly that success should've been considered local at best. My opponent (thankfully :P) didn't feel I should've been docked marks, but again, I believe I should've barely slipped past with a tactical victory at that.

Nicely done AAR! Enjoyed watching it. I played this scenario in a PBEM about 2 yrs ago. I played as the Germans and lost as well. It's a fun scenario, but both my opponent and I felt it was weighted a little too much in the American's favor. This was my feedback on it from the German perspective: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1403314&postcount=5 I'd be curious to know if your friend has similar thoughts.

This was my feedback on it from the German perspective: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1403314&postcount=5 I'd be curious to know if your friend has similar thoughts.

"It really felt like my infantry at first were for show; that my defense would come down to my Artillery officer and StuGs" - words from the horse's mouth.

Unlike you, he thought the Nebelwerfers a blessing, as he blasted an area to simply deny my transit through it. Buying time. He thought the German *total* force was good, but that the reinforcements, at least the first wave, could've arrived sooner (It certainly would've helped me, as my flank most likely would've hit air as intended and allowed me to deploy in his rear, blast!), but doesn't think the total force needs a redressing, just the initial one. He basically concluded that had he (a) actually had the first wave of reinforcements in a timely manner and (B) had actually used the phase lines as lines of retreat rather than hold out up front for as long as possible, that he could've easily have had victory. Instead he had to use SPGs as a rapid reaction force which often exposed them to flanks. I'd have to agree on that, I may have gotten lucky with the first StuG, but the rest tried to fight my battle - 6:4 is a decent ratio of Allied to Axis armor lost, and most of my Shermans were killed by defensive infantry fire.

Edit: More details from him.

FWIW, the German briefing is quite explicit when it comes to the futility of trying to hold the line against the American advance:

"Your force is not strong enough to oppose them in a straight fight...."

If the German player tries to hold in place and wait for reinforcements, they are going to lose. Conducting an effective tactical withdrawal is not an easy thing to do, but if you do it right you can attrit the Americans heavily enough to stop them cold.

It was much higher this time. There were only a couple spots where it kinda mixed with the battle sounds but it was a world of difference compared to the others. I'd say I heard 96% clearly. Good job.

BTW loved the voice acting on the US side...that guy is a genius!

Mord.

This was really nicely done. I especially liked being right down in the thick of things, running along with the men at ground level. You felt more immersed in the action.

I was yelling at the Sherman driver to back up when he crushed the hedge and rolled onto the road, only to come directly into the sights of a waiting Sturmgeschutz. :o

Very nice job.

Heinrich505

Ah well, thanks again everyone. Another friend and myself have begun a H2H on the Montliemar map. I've decided to film it as I suspect it will be played through quickly; given that we're both students with light schedules (as in, I have none until May, and he barely has one :P ) and 'tis the season. Keep your eyes peeled for a video - its sure to be an interesting match.