All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Every time a member makes a post in this thread, it can be considered an "update on Engine 4 Patches" . So I thank you all for each update you give.
  3. Good call, the previous save games are in the hundreds of KB.
  4. Today
  5. There is no need for BFC to add a no graphic briefing option though. It is already optional. Just type your briefing in notepad, put it in the required folder then import it. Pretty pictures, the tactical map and the fancy objectives or reinforcement icons are just eye candy that you can do without. The problem is that people feel they are compelled to add these things. But really you can discard this step entirely. If you know how to use gimp or photoshop and you feel like adding graphics then that's great, but it shouldn't be something that's expected or required.
  6. Yesterday
  7. This is the one though I havent seen that part. Actually I have heard of subs grabbing random stuff before. But it wasnt frequent at all and wasnt really done for scavenging at all. More like "oh cool a flag we can souveneir." Still pretty minor niggle compared to everything else especially as a game has never been done from this vantage point; and you know I know my history fairly well - there hasnt been anything in about 2 hrs Ive watched thats made my eyes bleed from a historical perspective at all. I mean I dont recall ever seeing squads of enemies in a same room just stare at eachother for lack of bullets but it happens in CMx2. Its not game breaking though it seems a bit silly at times. Does it come up much? No. The scavenging Ive heard of seems like its optional and you get a few pieces of metal or some random fruit/food and thats it. There does seem to be a long ways for variety and stuff to do but its early access and Ive got to say its the most innovative and "fits well" idea for a U Boat game Ive seen. And it has a lot of cool details and stuff on the model looks impressive. One guy was in a severely heavy storm for a while and then noticed his UBoats control room had a little water on the floor - he'd left the conning tower hatch open in the storm. Some things like that look very promising in respect to the games engine and possibilities. Of course it could very well be a dud but I really wish them the best. We need more simulation games that emphasize realism and dont jump immediately to MP PVP matches with loot boxes. The future of gaming is very much at a crossroads. *cof cof and im worried af about BFC cof cof*
  8. I'll echo Warts here; very well said indeed. Hope things turn around for you soon. At least you have the patches to look forward to! 😁
  9. Thank you. Obviously the question of a specific solution, versus a generalised "correct" one is a different one. My actual solution to the problem assumed that the correct way about this was to be bold, and to use the platoon to "attack" the left hill, and if there was anyone there, they'd make contact, find out what they could, then break. Route in: The "South Yard" is the only viable covered rally point, so that's where the "run" part of hit-and-run is going. At the orchard, using the low walls as cover for the low BMPs. Started to pick up contacts, which the BMPs opened fire on. Progressing the attack across the orchard and finding some AT-14's. The nice thing about the Russian smoke launchers is that the BMPs can cover the retreat of the recon platoon - their smoke will travel forward enough to give them cover. Obviously, this is accepting a large amount of risk for that asset, but it does give a very good picture of what forces are actually present. I think this kind of thing might actually be the way the asset is intended to be used, but that was the question really - what's the intended purpose of the infantry battalion recon platoon.
  10. I am a stalwart supporter of BFC, been playing the games for longer than I can remember. I made a modest contribution to the development of CMFI some years ago. Yes, waiting for the patch has been unusually testing, but this game system has so many facets that even though I played less I still had a lot of fun making maps and designing scenarios, not to mention fun testing them. These guys are a small team of extremely dedicated enthusiasts. They give 100%. I still haven't found anything remotely approaching their product for the kind of game play I appreciate. I have total confidence in their judgment and integrity. And I don't begrudge them for one minute the long gestation of this patch, or the confusion over exactly when it will be released. Thank you Steve, thank you Charles, thank you everyone else who put their time and effort in bringing these games to us. I've gone through a rough patch that has lasted nearly ten years so far. If and when I get back on my feet, I will be glad to lend a hand again. I hope it will be soon (can't give a precise date though... sorry, I couldn't resist that :-) ). In the mean time, I don't mind saying that playing your games has often been the only source of fun and relaxation for me, and a good way to avoid going mad during the long spells when real life got held up in limbo.
  11. You won - take the victory. Down play the casualties talk up your bravery and brilliant tactical decision to the upper brass. That's how you get ahead!
  12. I grew up in Canada in the 80s so when I think of sunglasses at night I think of this:
  13. I've really enjoyed it, it was interesting to read about your thought process behind your orders. Well done on the victory!
  14. Go back to topic , CM is about the tactical solution. What to do to make the ATGM position exposed , my answer is , make them shoot, and you survive. Note many people may consider this as a very gamey move. As a former starcraft player, I am following a South Korea style , "micromanagement is the solution to every problem" Here is the screenshot of my last CMBS PBEM game, I create a combo of different command. The purpose is simple, make the BMP-3 fire a HE before the Javelin finish the lock (15 seconds). so fast to one place, stop for 10s, shoot , reverse. then repeat. Maybe you can do the same thing with AT-14. Make dismount get into the observation position , move one BMP forward , exposed for 10s , then reverse back. AT-14 may need 5s-10s to finish the aim , then the distance will cost ATGM another 5s to reach the target. By that time your BMP may have already reach the safe place, so the ATGM will lost target and crash to the ground.
  15. I miss new Paper Tiger campaigns😢 I am waiting on getting a new computer before I play through any of his later campaigns, so I can properly appreciate them.
  16. Thank you for the link. Thank god, a different campaign. I am in the middle of Road to Dinas, so I thought I shouldn't read this thread until I finish that campaign. Some of the operational level wargame should have better simulation on these recon assets. (like FCRS , Command Ops etc). Sun Tzu said " Victory is decided before the battle is fought" , CM is focus on the battle, the last step before the victory. And we really enjoy that, recon is boring. But I know a talent scenario author can create some fantastic recon scenario , the decision and outcome will influence the whole campaign. for example I love the scenario 2 in road to Dinas campaign created by Paper Tiger. The Rebel made a breakthrough in Scenario 1, government's force sent a company of T-72 to the front line. Operating deep behind the contact line, rebel 's recon company knew the government's tanks are approaching . They decided to capture a key point , a hill next to the highway, setup an ambush. One dead T-72 means one less T-72 in Scenario 3. PT asked the player to hit cease fire before government force capture another hill. This is to simulate a withdraw before government force establish the LOS on rebel's retreat route. I love that one.
  17. I'd agree that giving the designer more flexibility in how to approach the breifing graphics would be a good thing. The current system is a bit awkward, especially with regards to fitting a tactical map in the space provided (one of the dimensions always seems to be fighting the space). However, I'd still highly recommend adding a visually acceptable no graphics briefing option, as I genuinely think that adds an unnecessary time hurdle for designers. People who want to do graphics could still pour out their creativity, but those who want to limit their application to the scenario crafting itself would be free to do so without taking an automatic negative hit on presentation.
  18. From the looks of this: The Vasilek may not be with the VDV much longer.
  19. The Russian army no longer uses the Vasilek, but apparently the VDV still has it, so there's some hope we might see it in a future CM:BS update.....Not sure if it's officially used by the Ukraine, apparently it's been seen on both sides in the Donbass, but that's not what CM:BS models. It's also been suggested that the Vasilek was used in Syria, but AFAIK the SAA never adopted the weapon, so it's likely a recent import (of one side or the other, possibly both) and thus outside the scope of CM:SF2. Just one more reason to love CM:A.....A whole battery firing together is really quite effective!
  20. MINUTE 29 My Sherman is back online. While my halftrack is progressing. But, I have made a mistake asking for a Fast move instead of a Reverse one for having the guns toward the last objective. My tank arrives in position. On my left flank, Germans are counter attacking. But, my halftrack once again saves the day. Before been able to give my orders for next turn, the victory screen appears. Not really a victory... 30 men killed and 20 men wounded mainly due to artillery like in reality. Here are the various stats: The last objective would have been hard to obtain but I think my halftrack and my Sherman would have help me a lot. The final word for @JoMc67. Hope you enjoy this DAR. Next one I hope soon except if you are bored. 🙂
  21. I may not be all that found of the way that the briefing designing currently works in CM but i'm affraid i'm on the other side of the fence here... I do NOT want a narrower/simpler way to design the briefings...Simpler, YES, but narrower (less options, less graphpics) most certainly NOT. I think that a very well done briefing kind of adds to the immersion of the scenario. It would do even more so if additional functions could be made avalaiable imo. Some problems i see with the current setup is first and foremost the limited resolution for the graphical sections. The maps, pictures or whatever else you would like to include here are limited to a very low resolution. It can be hard to design detailed maps and pictures within these restriction. Using the 'stock graphics' for the briefing pictures seems to be rather tricky to do. I have never tried it myself but i have read a number of post asking about how this is done... The briefings are currently limited to a max of 3 pictures. This is a fairly low number. How to change this... First and foremeost...up the resolution. Secondly...SCRAP the entire current set-up ! and redo the way that the briefing screens are done from scratch... What i would like to see is this... Skip the 4 different sections that currently makes up the briefing screen...The text-section and the 3 map(pictures)-sections. The briefing screen should be made up of ONE section ! And one section only. This ONE section should...If it is at all possible...allow for a wider variaty of file types to be used compared to the current version that only allows for a text file to be used in the text-section and picture files to be used in the picture-sections. In this ONE section all the briefing information should be displayed on a number of pages (each using the 'full screen') to include both text and pictures. Each seperate file would represent ONE page in this new briefing screen. These files should be doable using the most common text- and graphic editing programs. The result could be something like this.. Maybe the first page(file) will be a 'cover picture' for the scenario, file(page) 2 and 3 will be textfiles, page 4 will be a map (or perhaps several maps), page 5 and 6 will be recon pictures and page 7 and 8 will be additional text files only... Something like this will give the designer full flexibility when it comes to how much work he wants to put into the creation of the scenario briefing. The simplest and fastest option would be to simply includy a number of text-files made with notepad (or whatever textprogram the designer desires) to make a text only briefing....Quick and simple ! On the other hand if the designer are willing to commit a bit more time to the briefing he could include things like picturesfiles that resembles RL briefing documents (both modern and WW2 time frames) He could include detailed maps, various pictures like air-, satelite recon. Maybe pictures of specific persons that plays a significant part in the scenario. For example in a shockforce 2 scenario in wich the goal is to kill/capture a terrorist leader/WIP... the briefing could include an actual picture of this guy. I think that would be rather 'cool' Lots of stuff like this could be included in the briefing and would increase the level of immersion imo. If the designer wanted he could also include a small encyclopedia with picture and text describing the features and capabilities of likely enemy equipment that the player may encounter during the scenario. I think that especially someone who does not play all that much or often can have a hard time keeping track of all the different equipment in the various games. Having this rundown of the most likely opposition in any particular scenario would be highely apprisiated i belive. If the designers 'favorite' text and graphic editing program could be used to design these briefing pages and then upload them to the mission editor i don't think that it would neccesarely take...all that long...to design really cool briefing screens.
  22. I'm allowed to be comically ignorant. I'm 400 years old. I only made one purchase, made two free downloads, one refund request, and one more visit after my refund was refused. Perhaps the five £30 thefts were just a co-incidence. Personally I couldn't give a monkey's. My bank gave me my money bank, end of story. Now about this engine 4 patch.......
  23. If this one is the one on the vid that has food and spare parts in the wreckages of ships...... can’t say I ever heard a sub salvaging spare parts from a wreck.
  24. This one is impressive but, personally, I am looking forward to a sequel of Sonalysts' Dangerous Waters.
  1. Load more activity