Nonsense.....

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angela Lansbury should have got the Best Supporting Actress Oscar she was nominated for for The Manchurian Candidate (1962).

I realise that's a little off topic but it was a subtle yet powerhouse performance, after all.

(Also got me a pointless answer in the final of "Pointless" I was watching on the BBC the other afternoon but now I'm really digressing)

;)

I for one would call hers a truly bravura performance. I saw it in the theatre at about 11 years old, and it spooked the hell out of me for a long time.

I've been meaning to ask, how are the Honorable Senator and Mrs. Shaw been these days? I understand the Senator has been suffering from a huge headache.

:D

Who? I'm Spanish :D

Didn't mean to derail the thread, btw. I wanted people here to lower the tone and forget about real or imaginary attacks on their persons, CM:BN or BFC. I just think things get out of hand way too easily in this parts, and get personal at a hair split.

I'd like to see WriterJWA to come back to the thread and expose his concerns with a more neutral tone - hint: neutral doesn't mean uncritical, btw -, in a structured way and accounting for the answers he got.

So .... let me make sure I'm understanding this correctly. A decision has been made to treat everything basically as if it is the full-on, ten feet high, four feet thick (-ish) bocage, regardless if it's a chest-high hedge (which can be cross without demolitions IRL and quite as common in Normandy as the full bocage). Do I have that right?

:rolleyes:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=99963

See this thread for some discussions on this already.

The summary as mentioned by some other helpful posters is that there are two types of bocage than can not be crossed.

The lower type gets confused as hedge and I think will continue to cause confusion and this sort of discussion.

Ultimately it is what the game gives us and while new people air the same views similar to yourself and myself those that are happy with it will offer their own view.

I hope it gets changed but that is just my personal hope and does not mean I am not enjoying the game once I have learnt to know the difference.

;)

I think a real positive outcome of such discussions is to enable the UI to give feedback straight away when a unit can not follow the action path plotted, especially for WEGO.

Again it is just a hope and I can understand if this is not possible.

It would be nice to keep things constructive when discussing these issues....

:)

Didn't mean to derail the thread, btw. I wanted people here to lower the tone and forget about real or imaginary attacks on their persons, CM:BN or BFC. I just think things get out of hand way too easily in this parts, and get personal at a hair split.

I'd like to see WriterJWA to come back to the thread and expose his concerns with a more neutral tone - hint: neutral doesn't mean uncritical, btw -, in a structured way and accounting for the answers he got.

Does this mean I have to start a whole new thread on Angela Lansbury and how she was robbed by the 15-year old Patty Duke at the 35th Academy Awards ceremony? I'm not even sure BFC will let me...

;)

Does this mean I have to start a whole new thread on Angela Lansbury and how she was robbed by the 15-year old Patty Duke at the 35th Academy Awards ceremony? I'm not even sure BFC will let me...

;)

You could in the General Forum. At least it would provide a welcome alternative to those idiots droning on about rugby.

:P

Michael

Blecthley, I thought you'd know since you posted the Manchurian Candidate pic! :) Shaw was the senator (Actor: James Gregory) married to Angela Lansbury, mother of the brainwashed guy (Laurence Harvey) who in the end < SPOILER ALERT > shoots them both in the head at the convention, instead of shooting the Prez like he was supposed to.

Blecthley, I thought you'd know since you posted the Manchurian Candidate pic! :) Shaw was the senator (Actor: James Gregory) married to Angela Lansbury, mother of the brainwashed guy (Laurence Harvey) who in the end < SPOILER ALERT > shoots them both in the head at the convention, instead of shooting the Prez like he was supposed to.

Lansbury was only three years older than Harvey despite the fact she was playing his mother. That's proper acting that is.

(I shall stop with the Angela Lansbury now. Although, it must be said that my wife is deeply impressed that Angela Lansbury has been mentioned on the BFC forum. A first? Can I be bothered to do a search to see if this is a unique event?)

EDIT: I just did and it is. Lets hope it stays that way. ;)

The summary as mentioned by some other helpful posters is that there are two types of bocage than can not be crossed.

Plus a hedge which can be crossed.

The lower type gets confused as hedge and I think will continue to cause confusion and this sort of discussion.

I too was confused in one of my early games too and started a thread about that confusion. I agree that the low bocage does not look imposing enough and now in game I look closely at any low bocage or hedges to be sure I know what it *really* is. I am pretty good at telling the difference in game - now.

I think a real positive outcome of such discussions is to enable the UI to give feedback straight away when a unit can not follow the action path plotted, especially for WEGO.

That would be a god send. I can see how it would be hard to accomplish in a performant manner. To do it you would have to perform the Tac AI path finding algorithm for each placed way point. An alternative would be to give the "can't go here" cursor symbol when hovering over bocage.

So, right now if you try to set a way point for a vehicle that they cannot travel in, for example heavy woods, you get a "can't go here" cursor. The same one you see for infantry when you try to get them to mount a tank:). Or when you try to drive your jeep into a building. But you don't get that cursor when you hover over bocage. I realize why - it has to do with reporting if the selected unit can occupy the action square. I would just like it if the "can't go here" cursor were also able to check features in the action square as you hover over them.

If the "can't go here" cursor were shown when hovering over bocage then this problem would go away. OK, some of us would probably still make the mistake at least once:) but at least we would have the tools available to check if we were asking the vehicle to do something possible or insane.

I saw the movie three weeks ago, it was aired on a local cable TV station.

Just joking, senators in Spain aren't so notorious as in the US :)

...I look closely at any low bocage or hedges to be sure I know what it *really* is. I am pretty good at telling the difference in game - now.

It really isn't all that hard. All bocage, whether low or high, is on a low berm. Unless the scenario designer has decided to play a trick, hedge never is. Checking for berm is also a good way to spot breaks in bocage.

Michael

It really isn't all that hard. All bocage, whether low or high, is on a low berm. Unless the scenario designer has decided to play a trick, hedge never is. Checking for berm is also a good way to spot breaks in bocage.

Michael

It is (hard) when you first start playing and the low berm is not so easy to spot for low bocage IMO.

When you see hedge and the width compared to low bocage width that is the easy way from an overhead view. For me anyway...

(That is if you have hedge on the map to compare against.)

The more it is mentioned the more I hope designers pick up on these threads.

:)

I notice that the fanboys on this forum get to act like all sorts of "dicks" without so much as a peep from their daddies.

Meanwhile, anyone with a legitimate criticism is quickly handed a pink slip.

Interesting.

Would be except generally it starts with a "this whole game sucks and BFC is so inept because..." self indulgent rant and I have yet to see BFC ban anyone for expressing a criticism, legitimate or not.

This particular response isn't exactly a well crafted call for a more positive level of discourse. If it were, I would agree that it is a desirable end and would also agree I have seen some really crappy responses from both sides. However you decided to go the low route and continue that same level of discourse.

I am a "fanboy" and yet would be happy to dispense with all the snipey responses and name calling from both sides. So how about it? Want to try again without stooping to the name calling and change the paradigm? I'm game.

Its very rare to get banned here. Like it or not theres lots of fanboi's here and there's lots of rageboi's who think they know more about designing games than BFC does. But in order to stay here and be a contributor, its all about style points. It's ok to be critical of the game, BFC actually encourages this. Some of the stuff you guys have criticized have went into these games. We like that trust me.

What doesnt cut it style point wise is people who think they know more than what we do. 95% of the stuff you bitch about, the testers have already discovered when we were playing the not so fun versions of the software and pulling our teeth out daily. You guys get versions that are not only playable but fun. If you cant have fun with what we give you, may I suggest you to stop gaming.

And the worst ones are the guys that get answers straight from Steve, Moon, Phil, or the tester staff, and argue why their methods must be better than what BFC can do because they are ordained by God to be insulting and negative of our hard work. I would be willing to bet almost 100% of them watch war movies but havent even been in the same hemisphere of a war zone.

Believe me i have to bite my tongue a lot. I dont tend to call people dicks or *******s on this board but it doesnt mean I dont think it or even use the backspace key to delete it once in a while. So just keep in mind, you make a stupid post dont expect not to receive return fire. You feel the need to pump out your chest and go toe to toe with the staff and get pummeled, hey dont say I didnt warn you.

Ya but before I was high priest of fanboi I was also the Commissar of Rageboi. I was the first person banned for raging on this site, even before Fionn. :) I got to come back due to me cussing out Steve. He figured I was gonna come to his compound and make him give me forum access at gunpoint. Looking back, all my special forces training would have paled to the amount of weaponry he has at his house I suspect.

Ya but before I was high priest of fanboi I was also the Commissar of Rageboi. I was the first person banned for raging on this site, even before Fionn. :) I got to come back due to me cussing out Steve. He figured I was gonna come to his compound and make him give me forum access at gunpoint. Looking back, all my special forces training would have paled to the amount of weaponry he has at his house I suspect.

Another soul come to Jesus!

Michael