Buildings and the Editor

Sgt Schultz

I don't want to hijack LLF's thread with pics that are nothing more that examples of technique, but he got me thinking.

This thread is dedicated to those who work in the editor with buildings... and those who want to. ALL input is requested. If you have a protip ... share it. This isn't top-secret tactical battle strategies we're talkin' about here. :D

Saw Erwin's lament about no stuff around buildings.

Within reason... there is a fix for that my friend.

building3.jpg

taa daa ....

It requires that the building be set in such a way that the wall/hedge aligns with the structure walls.

Like so....

building4.jpg

One cannot completely surround a structure unless it is a Modular multi-part structure.. or the largest single Modular there is at 1-4.

Next? ---

EDIT --- yeah yeah I know ... if I have this cool idea why isn't in my scenarios... 'cause I just thunk it up tonight. It is goin' in VotS ver2.0 this weekend.

You could just raise one action square by 1m in elevation and cover it with mud tile....

Just be sure to lock down all the tiles adjacent to it to the flat lower elevation, otherwise the dung pile will slope too gradually and pull up all the terrain around it. Looking forward to the screenshots -- maybe a "most realistic dung heap" contest is in order.

Castle Wolfenstein 1.0 - This is my test-bed castle. Note the high stone wall wrapping the strongest modular buildings. I use this to prototype castle features to see what works and what doesn't.

castle1.jpg

Still working on an entrance. Many options for castle proper inside the walls.

Interior partitions have me in sort of a moral quandry. Do I leave them open and make it easy... Or do I make you folks run around like hamsters in a Habi-trail? :D

• 2 weeks later...

RockinHarry got me all caught up in trench warfare with his incredible work.

I took his historically accurate work and tweaked some of his ideas into my Beer&Pretzels world.

While not "buildings" per se, fieldworks are permanent structures as far as scenarios are concerned.

First thing I did after combining my buried damaged buildings with trenches and pillboxes was consider what was missing.

HE throwers... :D Note ... all following pics are from testbed map, not a WIP.

Just some bushes... nothing to see here...

vpill2.jpg

Well ... maybe something...

vpill3.jpg

4X zoom from a few hundred meters out front ...

vpill1.jpg

I wouldn't want to stumble on that .... would you? :)

------

Immobilised vehicles "dug in" along the trench line make dandy pillboxes.

Locking the tile at 3 below the battlefield average(trenches are 1 below) makes for a nice blue 'spotter is partially hulldown' LOS for Tanks.

Locking at 2 below gives the Puma a nice protected field of fire.

Dirt Lot tile directly under the vehicle spot.

By spreading the locked tiles and dirt tiles around at random in the forest, the grid monkeys and terrain spies won't be able to tell exactly where the assets are located.

EDIT - Boosting attributes is most likely a good idea to make up for the fact that the crew can't move. I am testing Vet/high/+1 atm.

More fortification tweaks. My test map has turned into a WIP. Curse you RockinHarry! :D

A VL Command Bunker. Cannot be seen unless you are already behind it. Linear barrage from one side to other can hurt, but uses more ammo than one may wish.

pill7.jpg

----

I needed reserves, and a place to put them. Three German Scout teams is the same thing as a CM1 SMG squad. Three teams fit in a shelter perfectly, so I did that twice. HQ and a couple LMG teams in another. Full squad in fourth. Scout/MP40 teams in trench set to 'puree'.

From the front...

pill4.jpg

From the back ...

pill5.jpg

-------

Revetments galore, with a selection of immobilised vehicles to mix and match in those spots. Tiger, JPzIV, Puma and others will be featured.

pill6.jpg

------

Interlocking strongpoints in a wooded area. 900x500 of trench area with projected fire another 200+ forward of that. Battle bounded by lake on one flank and swamp on other.

------

Going to add a few houses/farm buildings with rear basement entrances.

Edit - Fortified postion design is a lot like model railroading for me. Amazing how many more trenches(track pieces) I keep buying. Defense in depth makes for a LOT of those little trench tiles.

Fortified Buildings -

pill9.jpg

pill10.jpg

pill11.jpg

----------

By wrapping buildings in walls, you get a nice cover bonus.

With low walls, when your boys cower on the ground floor they feel nice and cozy.

High walls allow for a nice rally point from upper floor duty. maybe rotate squads after a rest under cover.

It is still only a single demo charge to get through though. :(

Demo charge rubbles one small piece of wall and entire building side.

Don't want you to think that I'm stealing your ideas but I've crafted a map for the North Shore Regiment's assault on St Aubins and there are a number of fortified buildings of that ilk scattered around, and mightily effective they are too. I also made a few ringed by low walls for some of the missions I made for the NATO campaigns as well. ;)

I was fairly certain someone had come up with it. :) I just got caught up in the building thread in the general forum and slapped the walls around instead of hedges..

If anyone has tricks and tips to share re:buildings/fortifications, please do so. I have only been messing with the CM2 engine since CMBN release. I'm just trying to get a visual resource together for all to use.

----

Further tweaks on bunkers - Large enough that air assets can detect, but knowing what is around them is the trick. As long as they are buried and surrounded by hedge/low bocage no pinpoint mortars can get them. Which is good, since they are very vulnerable to any kind of artillery.

Can fit a lot of troops -

pill12.jpg

The only thing an attacker sees at first is the bunker -

pill15.jpg

pill13.jpg

And he doesn't really "see" it anyway -

pill14-1.jpg

-----

Increasing the number of bunkers, making each one a small VL, and limiting attacker artillery assets can make for interesting options.

RockinHarry got me all caught up in trench warfare with his incredible work.

I took his historically accurate work and tweaked some of his ideas into my Beer&Pretzels world.

While not "buildings" per se, fieldworks are permanent structures as far as scenarios are concerned.

First thing I did after combining my buried damaged buildings with trenches and pillboxes was consider what was missing.

HE throwers... :D Note ... all following pics are from testbed map, not a WIP.

Just some bushes... nothing to see here...

vpill2.jpg

Well ... maybe something...

vpill3.jpg

4X zoom from a few hundred meters out front ...

vpill1.jpg

I wouldn't want to stumble on that .... would you? :)

------

Immobilised vehicles "dug in" along the trench line make dandy pillboxes.

Locking the tile at 3 below the battlefield average(trenches are 1 below) makes for a nice blue 'spotter is partially hulldown' LOS for Tanks.

Locking at 2 below gives the Puma a nice protected field of fire.

Dirt Lot tile directly under the vehicle spot.

By spreading the locked tiles and dirt tiles around at random in the forest, the grid monkeys and terrain spies won't be able to tell exactly where the assets are located.

EDIT - Boosting attributes is most likely a good idea to make up for the fact that the crew can't move. I am testing Vet/high/+1 atm.

Are those particular trenches the stock version or are they modded? They look really good.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed a request in a general forum thread re: better rubble in buildings.

ask and ye shall receive ....

rubblewall1.jpg

----

more on the way ... but you get the idea.

EDIT --- More ....

This one could be locked one or two levels down and look like rubble in a basement...

rubblewall2.jpg

rubblewall3.jpg

rubblewall4.jpg

-----

Many permutations.. and I bet they make life hell on earth for pathing, but ooooo the battles.

Personally my response would be .. "Nuke the site from orbit ... it's the only way to be sure."

Cause you're sure not getting me to go in there. :)