Combat Mission Fulda Gap?

I used to lobby long and hard for that, myself. Then I studied up on the tactical nuclear aspects of such a war. Ooooh, that's nasty - no way they could simulate wiping out entire battalions as a time and soldiers fighting in full chem suits in an irradiated wasteland. That being said, I did lobby long and hard for that. ;)

Another thing I just thought of. I wonder how often they'll be able to recycle the same Soviet equipment over and over. There's CMSF, there's Afghanistan, there's the upcoming European CMSF2 (though really early stuff may be banished to reserve units). A CM:Fulda Gap would make the 4th title with the same Sovet equipment. Then again, every WWII title on the planet has the same Shermans, T34s and Tiger Is. If you're doing post-WWII wars its nearly certain there's going to have to be a T55 in there somewhere.

Yes of course, the only question is, can you manage a way to get some M60's in there too!!! I think the M1 vs. T-72/T-80 match would be a CM gamers wet dream. We have proven that modern high lethality environments can work very will in CM with CMSF. The early to late 80s would make a beautiful game, it really would. Not that I don't enjoy a good ole M1A2 vs T90 shoot out, just get nostalgic for some Cold War lovin every now and again and WinSPMBT just doesn't do it!!!!

Guys, let stay focused we would like CM Fulda Gap 1982-1988. We want vanilla M1's, IPM1's, M60A3's and a few M1A1's. We then need M2/M3, M113 and M901's.

The Soviets get the T-55, T-62, T-72, T-64 and T-80 and the usual BMP's and BTR's.

This is the best force balance in the Gap. Before the Javelin, when ERA might stop a TOW and when a 125mm smoothbore could stop an M1. Fewer thermals on the battlefield too.

Ahhh....the Dragon....reason they developed the Jav. The large signature of the Dragon launch would be a sure fire way to force people to re-deploy ATGM teams after a shot, the Jav makes it too easy. Wouldn't need to even have the team itself spotted, just look for the smoke plume. Also, the systems used in this period were not quite a lethal as the modern stuff, at there would still be a fair amount of sport in a PBEM using large conventional forces. Seems like a no brainer to me as well. What I would also find interesting is what the actual utility of ground attack aircraft like the A10 and AH64 would have for a battlefield commander. So your M1s are out numbered 4 - 1 by Russian T-64's and a few T-80's, you have a decent position, but the prep arty immobilized most of your armor. Will the mavericks and hellfires be enough to kill the tanks your M1s cant see before the numbers overwhelm you???? What a Combat Mission this would be!

• 6 years later...

Hey guys

Fulda Gap is also one of my favorite since looooong time ...do you think we can created a Mod based on CMSF2 and have all weapons from the 80' ??  this will be awesome, and all with engine 4...in this way we are also not tooo far from a Middle East  approach... yes CMSF2 will be very welcome... in case of somebody need some infos to starting the Mod :P :

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/US/cold_war_american_tanks.php

• 11 months later...