Weird buddy aid bug?

I just had something strange happen to me in a battle. I had a PG squad crossing some open ground and one of the men got shot. Later, when I had taken out the enemies with LOS to the area, I sent the depleted (2 men by then) fire team whose man was down back to the action square with the fallen soldier. For several minutes they just lay prone next to their wounded comrade and did nothing. Fine, thought I, maybe they can't carry the extra weight any more or something. I brought the other fire team from the squad back to the action spot, where it unified with the second team, and together they commenced a "ritual death dance" for their fallen mate. One by one, the soldiers in the squad would run up to the wounded man, then lie down and get up several times in quick succession next to him, then run away again to let another buddy come up and do the same. It was kind of eerie to watch. Anyhow, no-one actually helped the guy, they seemed afraid to touch him. I tried moving the squad away and back into the action square to no avail. I brought their platoon HQ onto the scene, and they performed the same artistics. At one point I had seven men lying in a half circle around the fallen soldier, doing crazy shamanic pushups in a kind of wave like people do in sports stadiums. It didn't help the wounded soldier any, though, he remained WIA at the end of the battle.

What gives? I have no pics or video of this, though I guess I could make them since I do have a savegame (in RT).

Thoughts? Anyone seen this before? I know the men were in the right action spot, and there were no obstructions whatsoever, just flat grass. Bug?

Nah, their morale was OK, they were unsuppressed and couldn't see any enemies. There were no obvious "outside" factors contributing to the situation in any way AFAICT. Except that it was raining, but that shouldn't have made any difference, should it? It does mean what they were doing can't have been a rain dance. :)

Ok, I finally made a

of this weird scene. It doesn't show the pushup wave I mentioned, but it does show the squad members moving to and away from the body, and there are some pushups at the end after they have congregated in a circle around the fallen soldier. This continues for as long as you care to watch it, with the occasional pushups here and there, and sometimes a soldier will move a ways away and come back a few seconds later. They never give buddy aid.

Funny thing is, when I reloaded a slightly older save and moved the squad to the fallen comrade, they immediately administered buddy aid without a problem. Maybe the one save file is corrupted somehow? But everything else works fine. Any thoughts?

Sometimes - often, actually - I have a bit of trouble getting my guys to perform buddy aid because I have them in the wrong tile. When a body falls near the edge of two tiles it can be tricky trying to figure out if they aiders need to be in *this* tile, or *that* tile. When the body falls near the corner of four tiles it's even worse. But if they don't start aid within a turn or two I just move them to the adjacent tile, and generally they'll get straight on to it.

Okay, here's the deal. They all recognized that their buddy was a goner and there was nothing they could do for him. But each one wanted to say goodbye and assure him that they would "comfort" his widow and tell his mother that he died bravely. Then they all joined together to pray for his departed soul. I hope this clears the matter up. I think it is very thoughtful of BFC to include tender moments like this amidst the horrors and violence of war.

Michael

Some answers and comments:

Oh, what a video! I can't even tell you what that looked like to me!!

Could he have been performing CPR?...

Well, he was certainly performing SOME sort of service...:)

Sometimes - often, actually - I have a bit of trouble getting my guys to perform buddy aid because I have them in the wrong tile.

I know what you mean, JonS, but these men were in the right tile for sure. I tried them in the next tile over as well, but they made no effort to get close to the fallen man in that tile. Hint: the tile to aim for in order to give buddy aid is the tile which contains the fallen man's weapon (if you can see it), not necessarily the body.

Michael - Nice idea, but I still think it is some sort of cult. Cannibalism maybe?