Garish setup zones

One problem is your 'garish color' is the same no matter what time of day. What is annoying bright on a rainy evening can be difficult to see on high noon on a clear bright day. The color had been toned down, actually, during the Beta and got so many "we can't seen the setup zone" complaints that they reverted back to the original.

I'd rather see a directional border than a filled-in zone. The overlay makes placing unit bases a ballache at times.

+1 to that. Also, I detest the color of the covered arc, but am willing to put up with it when it is a narrow sector. But when I set a 360° arc to keep sensitive units from firing their personal arms, it really gets up my nose. Instead of a solid disc of color, I'd really prefer to see a narrow band around the circumference, just wide enough so that it does not escape the player's attention.

Michael

Definitely for the covered arcs. For the setup zones though, you can have several different ones and troops may only be able to use one out of them, hence the colour.

Oh please. You can have different coloured borders. Make them one Action Point wide so they're visible and distinct. Make them a geometric pattern (arrowheads pointing in, say) so you know which side of the line you're allowed to set up, though I'd've thought it was mostly obvious or at least the 'No go' cursor would soon let you know. You could even use a combination of colours and simple shapes to increase the distinctions, particularly for colour vision deficient people; I personally have to double-think when someone uses a mauve and a blue and a purple for zones I can use.

Distinctiveness is not an argument against using borders rather than a fill.

I'm just not feeling this pain. Yes, the colours could be considered ugly but its only during setup so it just does not matter - to me. It has not caused me any problem with actually setting up troops. What issues are you guys seeing during setup?

To me it seems like it should be pretty much the bottom of the feature back log.

I'm just not feeling this pain. Yes, the colours could be considered ugly but its only during setup so it just does not matter - to me. It has not caused me any problem with actually setting up troops. What issues are you guys seeing during setup?

Cover arcs are invisible.

Unit bases are invisible, so getting the squads to settle on the right side of hedges etc is more difficult than it needs to be and telling where your squads are in the hodgepodge of dumped units at setup start can be tricky.

It's painful to look at.