Aspect ratio question

Under Options for Display size you get 'Desktop', 1024x768, 1152x864, 1260x960. If I go in and pick a display that doesn't match my monitor the image seems less sharp but doesn't actually distort. People with oddly proportioned monitors will have to speak to what happens to them.

I've got a, I think, 26" flat screen and it distorts at some resolutions. The only way I know to judge is that circles will not look round, but rather flattened either from the sides or the top and bottom if its distorted. In game, the graphics are also distorted accordingly. If I adjust based upon the appearance of circles such as desktop icons, the game graphics are fine, but due to the size of my monitor, the resolution is less than optimal.

I tried all of the possible resolutions in the game and they all make the tires on the vehicles appear squashed a bit. I have a 20.5in x 11.5in screen on my monitor and that is, unless I'm not calculating it correctly, a 16:9 display which is a common aspect ratio. I guess the squashed wheels and chubby troops are just something that I will have to accept.

Under Options for Display size you get 'Desktop', 1024x768, 1152x864, 1260x960. If I go in and pick a display that doesn't match my monitor the image seems less sharp but doesn't actually distort. People with oddly proportioned monitors will have to speak to what happens to them.

Hello MikeyD, I have a wide screen monitor with an aspect ratio of 16:9. I believe that they are becoming common. It appears to me that the game only offers resolutions for an aspect ratio of 4:3. Am I correct or is there something that I am overlooking? The only problem, as I noted, is squashed wheels and chubby troops but it would be nice if there were resolution options for a 16:9 aspect ratio. Wont be long before most people will have a wide screen monitor and this game is just getting started.

I have a 16:9 ratio and it looks great. Here's an excerpt from the readme about this.

CHANGING GAME RESOLUTION:

By default, the first time the game is launched, the games internal resolution and refresh rate are set to whatever your desktop display is currently set to. We have added two ways to make adjustments to this settings.

From inside the game, go to the Main Menu, then select the Options panel. From there you can select the game to run at the following resolutions:

Desktop = (the game will run at whatever resolution your desktop is set to)

1024x768

1152x864

1280x960

If you want to run the game in a resolution and refresh rate not listed, you can manually configure these settings by editing the "display size.txt" file located in your game directory. Simply change the numbers that you see there with the width (in pixels) and height (in pixels) and refresh rate (in Hertz) you wish to run the game.

Example: For 1440x900 at 75Hz refresh rate, you would delete the numbers in that file and replace with "1440 900 75" (without quotes).

If you put in all zeroes example: 0 0 0, the game will revert to using your desktop resolution and refresh rate.

Exercise caution and only use a resolution and refresh rate supported by your monitor as damage to your monitor or display adaptor could occur, especially if you use too high a setting.

Try out the text file part of it and it should work out ok for you. ;)

I have a 16:9 ratio and it looks great. Here's an excerpt from the readme about this.

Try out the text file part of it and it should work out ok for you. ;)

Hello FightingSeabee, Thank you for the information. I will proceed to the game as soon as I finish typing this and follow the procedure that you quoted. I will be a welcome improvement for me.:)

I seem to recall that all monitors have a "base" resolution i.e. the resolution that they are designed to operate at. Anything away from that may introduce a distortion of some form. I am guessing the key is to set your monitor at the native setting and the game to that as well.

Hmm, maybe you guys could help me out, instead of making a new "I need help" thread in the tech support forum. My screen resolution never changes, not from the three resolutions provided in the options, nor from changing resolution in the Display size.txt. I thnik it's set to 1024x768, and it wouldn't been much of a problem if it wasn't for the fact that my laptop sports a 1366x768 screen. In other words, when playing CMBN, aprox 1/4 of my screen is two black sidebars. I would really like to have this changed. Haven't had any res. problems with any other games. Thanks in advance!

Smeel - In the 'Options' panel you should set your 'Display Size' to "Desktop". That should use your desktop resolution that you normally run at, which I assume is the 1366 x 768. If not, then theFightingSeabee's suggestion of modifying the "display size.txt" file is what you would need to do, with an entry of:

1366 768 60

That will be a resolution of 1366 x 768 at 60Hz (a vertical refresh rate that most LCD displays utilize).

Glad you found a solution. But that's a somewhat odd ratio, isn't it? What brand monitor are you using?

Michael

Hello Michael, I'm using a ViewSonic 24in 1080p. The 1280x768 resolution that I chose is between a 16:9 and 16:10 ratio and is as close as I could get. Its close enough that I don't notice any distortion. It also makes the interface panel large enough that I can read it comfortably. I used 1024x768 with CMX1 with a smaller monitor but with CMBN and a larger monitor it became obvious that the screen was distorted.

Hello Michael, I'm using a ViewSonic 24in 1080p. The 1280x768 resolution that I chose is between a 16:9 and 16:10 ratio and is as close as I could get. Its close enough that I don't notice any distortion. It also makes the interface panel large enough that I can read it comfortably. The monitor that I have now is the first 16:9 display that I have had. All my other monitors were 4:3 ratio and I used 1024x768.

Cool. I had a ViewSonic 17" CRT that I was very happy with. I gave it away when I started using the iMac.

Michael

Smeel, does your 'display size.txt' file now say "0 0 60"? If so, its looks like the game defaults to its minimum 1024x768 if no width/height are specified, but a refresh rate is listed. Delete the 'display size.txt' file and restart the game a couple times so that it gets re-created.

I got this oddity while trying to see what 1366x768 would look like on my 1680x1050 display by editing the txt file. I never got it to work at that rez, but when I tried to reset the game to my "Desktop" default using the in-game menu, it reset the height and width both to 0's, but left the refresh, and I ended up in 1024x768 permanently until I removed the 'display size.txt' file.

- Chris

I've tried to do that too, deleting the file, restarting, changing resolution, restarting, deleting the file etc etc, no change :(

I'm running on Windows 7. Could it be something with the OS which forces teh aspect ratio or something like that? I didn't install the game in the program files folder, could that be something?

Smeel - what directory did you install CMBN into ? If you installed it into the '\Program Files' (or '\Program Files (x86)' for 64-bit versions of Windows), then the file that you can actually modify is in the 'VirtualStore' directory, a hidden directory within the '\Users' directory for silently writing files that would normally be written to the '\Program Files' directory.