LOS question

AFAIK spotting works like this: the map is covered by 8x8m tiles - each called an action spot. The game first checks if an action spot (from its center) can see another action spot. If thats true it checks if individual units on the first spot can see other units on the second spot.

Now the question: assume that two spots just can't see each other (like one being in a small dent) and there is infantry in the first and a tank in the second spot. The tank is very high and can (should) be seen by the infantry.

Since the spots don't see each other will the game still check for LOS or will it pass because it failed the first test?

I'm asking this because it happened to me several times that when I look over the shoulder of one of my units I can clearly see the enemy but can't get LOS to it because the unit cannot see the ground the enemy is on.

I'm not 100% sure so I'm asking if others have experienced that, too.

Yes LOS is checked from different heights before any more refined check is made. That can easily be seen when a tank spots over the top of a wall.

The heights are not limitless though, iow spotting is not exactly WYSIWYG and its best to come to terms with that :). There are only a few height: Prone, Kneeling, Standing (also used for jeeps etc), tank height and IIRC another higher tank setting. There is also settings for each story of a building.

WIthout more specific info about what you are seeing its hard to say if there is a problem.

Sorry, its anectodal: I had a tank that could shoot at the ground before a house but not on the house itself. I had an ATG with could not shoot at a tank because it was standing in a dent of the ground. The target line ended a few meters before it. The tank was much higher than the dent.

I think the game has sometimes problems with detecting that you want to shoot at the thing on that spot and not the ground itself. I doubt that the LOS algorithm itself is at fault because it works so well in the game.

This is why I would love an on/off toggle that lets you see exactly what is in LOS for a selected unit. In RL the unit obviously knows what can/cannot be seen but I spend maybe half my planning time simply trying to determine who can see what by trial and error.

Yes LOS is checked from different heights before any more refined check is made. That can easily be seen when a tank spots over the top of a wall.

The heights are not limitless though, iow spotting is not exactly WYSIWYG and its best to come to terms with that :). There are only a few height: Prone, Kneeling, Standing (also used for jeeps etc), tank height and IIRC another higher tank setting. There is also settings for each story of a building.

WIthout more specific info about what you are seeing its hard to say if there is a problem.

And, as I have been learning, when you maneuver you LMG into a position where the LOS looks good, it is often the case that once the weapon is deployed that the LOS is completely different.

There should be a way to determine deployed LOS when scouting out positions.

The LOS is not "completely different", but one thing to be aware of is that the "future waypoint" LOS is based on the stance of the unit when you check it, so if it is standing it will be higher than if it is prone.

The LOS tool giving a rough idea and then having a bit of fine tuning when you get there is pretty realistic imo.

The LOS is not "completely different", but one thing to be aware of is that the "future waypoint" LOS is based on the stance of the unit when you check it, so if it is standing it will be higher than if it is prone.

There's also the issue of positioning within the 'prospective' action point. Does the game assume the same precise distribution of team members in their "future waypoint", or does it measure centre-to-centre?

The LOS tool giving a rough idea and then having a bit of fine tuning when you get there is pretty realistic imo.

It's certainly a limitation that I can live with.

This is why I would love an on/off toggle that lets you see exactly what is in LOS for a selected unit. In RL the unit obviously knows what can/cannot be seen but I spend maybe half my planning time simply trying to determine who can see what by trial and error.

This feature is already included, kinda. If you target an enemy unit, YOUR units that can see it will be highlighted. There are a lot of little features like this, that once you learn them, make the game a helluva lot easier

From my experience, I can't call artillrery on a 3 storey building when there is a small hedge in the way; presumably because I can't see the ground its on. Have I got that right? Or was I missing some subtlety?

If I have got that right, it seems a bit odd to me.

I'm playing The Crossroads at Monthardrou. Twenty moves or so into the game the Panther that sits on left side of the map next to a small barn finally decides to move. It is traveling diagonal to several of my Shermans which cant see it but some one in my force can so I'm able to track it. I can area fire the low hedge or bocage on my side of the road but cant target the road due to no los. So I go ahead and area fire a section of the hedge bordering the road the Panther is on in hopes of getting a lucky hit with HE as it passes by. The Panther passes by a section of the road just past where my Sherman is area firing and my Sherman spots him over the top of the hedge, quickly targets him switches to AP puts two rounds into the side of his turret and then goes back to shelling the hedge with HE. Nice

You got lucky there Georgie, and its sounds like you are enjoying Monthardrou.

P

Very lucky, gave me quite a boost. I haven't enough experience or expertise to pass judgment on the quality of a scenario but Monthardrou has offered a stout resistance no matter where or how I attack and this I am enjoying.