How 'old' is CMSF compared to CMBN?

I just got CMSF and all the three add on modules after having played CMBN for awhile. As I understand it, it's essentially the same engine just with different units, maps, terrain, etc....

Or will CMSF seem old and long in the tooth by comparison to the brand new CMBN?

Thanks,

Javaslinger

Not if you are just starting out...it should seem pretty cool. The modern weapons and the like will be a very nice contrast to CMBN making both games seem unique. The fighting is different, the ranges are different, the ability to take damage tank vs tank is different. The only place I can really see where CMBN would seem really unique over CMSF would be the death poses and animations...much more variety. There are a couple new commands in CMBN I believe but nothing so bad that you'll feel CMSF is unplayable and beyond it's time.

I've been playing CMSF since the beginning and I am not sick of it...barely messed with the NATO module because I've been waiting on the patch...so it's gonna feel real new again once that happens.

And if you are remotely interested try CMA too when you get a chance...it's got a really different feel from both games...very dark in my opinion because of the subject matter...it's kinda like a bridge between the two eras.

Mord.

I am really beginning to miss playing CMSF. After playing around with the WW2 vehicle models for a while, seeing those utterly wicked modern era IFVs and Tanks in action with their awesome array of weaponry, I think they're really cool. It's massively more violent than WW2 and that's a big draw for me. I am thinking about designing some serious Brit Light Infantry v UNCON missions, maybe for a campaign. I think things will perk up around here when the new patch comes and people are finally able to go through the campaigns.

I sure hope so...because as much as I LOVE WWII...I find modern to be very fun with it's own unique set of challenges...it'd be a shame to have CMSF totally whither on the vine. I like having all these different games to bounce back and forth between...different flavors for different moods.

Mord.

Well, after making my earlier post, I fired up CMSF and played one of old favourites, 'UK Sabres at Dawn' and had a real blast. I really want to get back to work on something new for the Brits.

Also saw a lot that I didn't like about my old scenario designs. Adjacent buildings with windows on the connecting walls... hmm. I am tempted to rework some of my Brit scenarios to make them a bit 'friendlier'.

I completely forgot about two maps that I had made that were intended for inclusion in the German and Canadian NATO campaigns. They never got used and they are both really good NATO quality maps. I am giving some serious thought to remodelling the building interiors of my Brit maps and recasting them into a Brit Light Infantry campaign including these two new maps. I am not sure that I have the time to create a host of new maps so this might be an interesting project to take on.

I am also considering making a somewhat easier version of 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum'. I had originally planned to have some 105mm Light Howitzers in there but somewhere, they got omitted. It's a bitchin' tough mission as it stands.

I have all three games and all the modules and I'm also coming back to CMSF all the time.

Right now I'm playing the British Campaign in CMSF. The whole CMSF package has a very good feeling, as many above said it is a much more devastating enviroment. I love the modern hardware and the tactics involved. Yesterday my American squad was sitting behind a wall and observing when a huge explosion went of just to the right of them. All but one soldier was injured/killed. I was horrified since CMSF is a much more unforgivable enviroment than CMBN. In hurry I moved another section into the area to provide buddy aid only to have another bomb go off and kill them as well. You should have seen the crater in the street after two bombs had exploded.

As was mentioned above even CMA is a nice gem. Plays diffrently than CMSF and CMBN plus you get to play with Red hardware which is always a nice change. Currently I'm playing CMBN in PBEM, CMSF in single player and I ocasionally go back to CMA.

As great as CMBN is, I also find modern tactical environment more compelling. It's like WWII 'turned to eleven': what can be seen, can be killed - quickly and decisively. We have tanks driving 40 mph cross-country while 'head-shotting' targets 3 miles away and infantry that fight on regardless of time of day or weather.

Every soldier is a valuable asset (even on the Red side, IMO), not just more flesh and bone to be fed to the grinder. I also prefer gaming hypothetical conflicts, I feel somewhat uneasy gaming historical wars, and that even with a history degree. Go figure...

I'm chuckling, its starting to look like a CM:BN Beta tester convention here, the number who have begun filtering back to playing CMSF after the initial thrill of CM:BN releasing. :D

If you're a CM:BN-first player you might feel at first the game's something of a "CM:BN Lite". Pretty much exactly the same user interface; More air/artillery flexibility; no water terrain; ATGMs; less impressive loooking foliage; more 'exotic' modern equipment; a rudimentary QB generator; buildings roofs you can fight from; hundreds of lovingly-built 3rd party scenarios & campaigns. In otherwords, don't get obsessed over the differences between titles. They can each hold their own.

I've been playing CMSF since the beginning and I am not sick of it...barely messed with the NATO module because I've been waiting on the patch...so it's gonna feel real new again once that happens.

Mord.

Yeah, same here. I'm still playing CMSF and absolutely loving it. I have only stayed away from NATO module (have it installed though) due to the bugs and am awaiting patch. Both series, CMSF and CMBN will be on my hard-drives for years to come.

Both are unique in their feel and style of play.

I think things will perk up around here when the new patch comes and people are finally able to go through the campaigns.

I agree. I know at least 5 people I usually play PBEMs with who are waiting for the patch to come out regarding NATO missions. We play everthing else but stay away from NATO until certain issues are fixed. There is still plenty of fun and missions to go around with the other modules IMHO. Also, I myself have been working on some missions I had on hold so it keeps me busy.

I sure hope so...because as much as I LOVE WWII...I find modern to be very fun with it's own unique set of challenges...it'd be a shame to have CMSF totally whither on the vine. I like having all these different games to bounce back and forth between...different flavors for different moods.Mord.

+2 I don't think it will whither Mord. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said it has its own unique challenges and game style. Personally, I think that CMBN is bringing new people into the fold so to speak and those new guys will eventually check out CMSF.

A lot of initial resistance to CMSF was it 'wasn't WWII' and the older players couldn't get used to the new UI. Well, they've got their WWII title now and they're quickly getting comfortable with the UI. I wouldn't be surprised to see some old hold-outs giving CMSF a second look.

+2 I don't think it will whither Mord. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said it has its own unique challenges and game style. Personally, I think that CMBN is bringing new people into the fold so to speak and those new guys will eventually check out CMSF.

I'd really like to see CMA kick back up to. Not having had my comp for three months really got me juiced all over again for both CMSF and CMA...and now that CMBN is out it's like having three brand new games.

I hope we do get some new blood interested...CMSF is like the first born so it's always gonna have a special place in my heart.

Mord.

I plan to have a PBEM going in each one to keep variety, and because they are both unique. I don't see CMSF whithering away. In some ways I still like it better than CMBN in that the combat in CMSF is more fluid. Plus modern as many cool weapons to play with. Once you use M32's MK19's, and javalins it is a little hard to give up those technologies. Bottom line though is ITS ALL GOOD!

I plan to have a PBEM going in each one to keep variety, and because they are both unique. I don't see CMSF whithering away. In some ways I still like it better than CMBN in that the combat in CMSF is more fluid. Plus modern as many cool weapons to play with. Once you use M32's MK19's, and javalins it is a little hard to give up those technologies. Bottom line though is ITS ALL GOOD!

+2 Absolutely true. I'm currently playing an amazing mission in single player titled A River Runs Through It. I'm playing as the US Marines. In that mission, you get a couple of foot mobile TOW launcher sections. I didn't even know they were in the Marine TO&E or in the game. Very cool to watch in action. The detail of the equipment is superb!

Would it be possible to replace the CMSF terrain tiles with those of CMBN?

I’ve got CMSF and the Brit module and I feel an affinity with the modern Orbats and equipment, but the dratted desert landscape really gets me down. I can almost smell the dog crap and bad drains as I patrol down an alleyway. I don’t have the NATO module, but would definitely consider buying it if I could pick and dump the landscape tiles and run a CMBN with Leopards, Challengers and M1’s.

I owned the CMBO, CMBB and DAK games prior to CMSF, but I'm convinced it was the lethality of the weapons in CMSF that taught me the patience that's required in CMBN.

You don't actually have to move over the CMBN files, because there are already some CMSF Euro terrain mods. You *should* be able to move over the CMBN ground files without a problem, although I haven't tried. The trees and probably bushes, however, will NOT transfer and you'll need to use preexisting CMSF mods for those.

Would it be possible to replace the CMSF terrain tiles with those of CMBN?

I’ve got CMSF and the Brit module and I feel an affinity with the modern Orbats and equipment, but the dratted desert landscape really gets me down. I can almost smell the dog crap and bad drains as I patrol down an alleyway. I don’t have the NATO module, but would definitely consider buying it if I could pick and dump the landscape tiles and run a CMBN with Leopards, Challengers and M1’s.

I owned the CMBO, CMBB and DAK games prior to CMSF, but I'm convinced it was the lethality of the weapons in CMSF that taught me the patience that's required in CMBN.

There are some excellent maps out there TrailApe which in my view are not desert, probably more coastal type of flora. For example; have you taken a look at the scenario "A River Runs Through It?" Lots of trees in that one. Also the scenario "Cry Havoc" is a good one. No desert in there as well. My point is there are some serioudly good map makers in this community who have made some seriously good non-desert maps.

The NATO and Marine modules go through more cultivated territory. Base module and Brits come from the east through the barren desert - but eventually hit population centers.

I suppose you could crack open the Normandy .brz to steal ground texture art but it would be a half-baked affair. It would be the game still with harsh desert lighting, desert foliage, the game treating the ground like open desert, desert buildings, etc etc. A CMSF2 is slated to come along. All the modern war fun of CMSF with all the verdant greenery of Europe. Who knows, maybe even the French might show up!

I have just re-re-played Mike's 'Outmanouvered' - this is a beauty of a scenario. Great open map, well placed buildings and lots of long range fire-power. CMSF is an absolute gem and can only get better :)

Yeah, that is a beautiful scenario. I played it in PBEM against someone. Great PBEM due to open map like you say and well balanced.