Problem with units targeting upper floors of buildings

My HQ unit is positioned a few yards behind thick bocage. On the other side it can clearly see the second floor of a building. I want to call in artillery on the building but unfortunately the unit isn't given LOS.

Must an HQ always be able to see the ground floor of a building in order to obtain LOS?

You generally can't see second floors of buildings over tall bocage in my experience. At least if you don't have a raised position to observe from. It's two ways, though - my men cannot target over the tall bocage from the second floor either.

Well there must be some kind of misunderstanding going on because, xian, you say that your HQ can "clearly see" the second floor, but "isn't given LOS". These are contradictory statements. Either they can see it, or they can't. Or, of course, it's a bug but I find it hard to imagine no-one else has ever noticed this before. So there must be something you have missed or neglected to mention here. Maybe is your HQ simply cannot see the second floor over the bocage even though you think they ought to be able to. Second possibility, you are trying to call in your arty on the bottom floor accidentally, which of course the spotter cannot see. Rereading your OP I believe this is the problem. Place the target line on the visible second floor and you should be good to go.

Sorry, not trying to be snide or anything. It's just that your original post is somewhat misleading/incomplete. Point is, you CAN call arty on anything your spotter can see in the game. (Again, unless this is a freaky bug that's gone unnoticed for some time.)

What he is saying is that he can "see" the building from the camera view, presumably with the camera located at the HQ's position, but the target-line LOS is blocked.

I find that the camera view and LOS aren't always consistent. Sometimes the camera view is clear and LOS is blocked, and sometimes it is the other way around. For example, even with the camera plane bisecting a tank commanders head, what you see is not always what you get, LOS-wise.

The main causes of inconsistencies are usually objects with fuzzy boundaries, such as foliage and smoke. I can understand why it would be difficult software-wise to get this exactly right.

This may be related to the age-old ( ie. in CMx1 you had it too ) problem whereby you can trace a targetting line right up to the front step of a building, but somehow the building itself is out-of-LoS.

No idea how ( upside-down invisible-yet-los-blocking mountains hanging from the sky ? ) such a thing can happen, but it does.

To be fair, I've seen much less of this in CMBN than in CMx1, but it does still sometimes occur.

This I have seen in CMBN and I do not get it.

This may be related to the age-old ( ie. in CMx1 you had it too ) problem whereby you can trace a targetting line right up to the front step of a building, but somehow the building itself is out-of-LoS.

No idea how ( upside-down invisible-yet-los-blocking mountains hanging from the sky ? ) such a thing can happen, but it does.

To be fair, I've seen much less of this in CMBN than in CMx1, but it does still sometimes occur.

I know exactly what the OP is talking about, and I've seen it too. It's very aggravating. I want to mortar a building several hundred meters away. The building is 1-2 stories and easily seen, but there's short hill between my unit and the building. Even though I can clearly see the building from my unit's position at camera level 1, because I can't see the ground the building is placed on I can't fire. I'm pretty sure that my guys would be able to see whether or not their mortars were hitting a building or not, regardless of whether the ground right next to the building is visible. Aggravating.

Same thing with firing through smoke. My guys can't see to the ground through the smoke, so they can't fire into/through it. Even though I *know* there's a unit there that I could easily kill if I could just get my guys to blind fire into it. But no.

I know what the OP means, my troops have been shot at by the enemy from the second story of building, they can fire back IF they can see the enemy but cannot area fire or call in arty on the second story because the first story is obscured behind tall bocage. It seems you need direct line of sight to the central point of the floor of the building.

I know exactly what the OP is talking about, and I've seen it too. It's very aggravating. I want to mortar a building several hundred meters away. The building is 1-2 stories and easily seen, but there's short hill between my unit and the building. Even though I can clearly see the building from my unit's position at camera level 1, because I can't see the ground the building is placed on I can't fire. I'm pretty sure that my guys would be able to see whether or not their mortars were hitting a building or not, regardless of whether the ground right next to the building is visible. Aggravating.

Same thing with firing through smoke. My guys can't see to the ground through the smoke, so they can't fire into/through it. Even though I *know* there's a unit there that I could easily kill if I could just get my guys to blind fire into it. But no.

How are they supposed to adjust fire onto a small target they can see if they cannot see where the spotting rounds lands when they miss the small, visible target? Mind you there should be more leeway for spotting the fall of shot in the vertical plane (due to dust/dirt plume), but fundamentally this is a real world problem that can only be overcome with a TRP.

Also you are allowed some leeway for targeting points on the ground that are in defilade only a few actions spots beyond loss of LOS, so if the ground occupied by the first floor of a building is obscured by an adjacent tall wall, you should still be able to target the building with indirect fire.

Every time I've seen this, I've resolved the conundrum by turning on trees. Every time, it's been because I've been firing under trees and the edge of what the hanging foliage obscures just happens to be the edge of the building. It just wasn't apparent with the trees turned off.

Yup, it still occurs and in my experience it does so just as often as it did in CMx1. I never could work it out then and I can't now. However, I don't recall seeing this porblem very often, if at all, in CMSF. So I suspect it has something to do with the terrain features between the unit and the building.