How do you get through bocage

As above, with engineers and charges. I also try to have a tank lined up with the potential opening, so that once it is blasted open, the tank may be able to provide some instant covering fire if it spots a target right away. Also, if you plan to rush troops into the breach, be sure they are nearby and not halfway across the map. I'd give just a bit of space for the line charge though, since I have no idea what it will do to troops who are too close (though it does not seem to hurt the engineers by design.)

What is the best way. How do you use engineers etc????

Is your question a general one about fighting through an individual hedgerow or simply a question of how to use an engineer?

If a general question, the answer is slowly. Speed=death Unless you know the opposite hedgerow is unoccupied your first objective is to do some recon. Either with a recon team or by fire. If it is occupied you need to establish fire superiority or you aren't going anywhere but the morgue. Once you have accomplished that you can consider taking the next hedgerow.

If it is specifically about engineers, you simply use the blast command and select an action point of the opposite side of the hedgerow and yes make sure your other infantry are not too close. There are some other posts related to this topic but if you expect fire on the other side it is best to put some pauses in wego mode to allow the team to blow the whole at the end of the turn while providing you the opportunity to prevent them from going through the blast hole which they will do otherwise.

For vehicle holes what I tend to do is do one blast to the opposite side of the hedgerow then do a second blast right to the action point to the left or right of where you start. The engineers will then (given enough blasting charges and time) blow a whole wide enough for vehicles in a single turn.

Also a good idea to have some Infantry pop some smoke,then run thru the breach and hit the dirt with a wide cover arc out to the front and sides,Tank works best if you have one,but Infantry will work if no Armor is available.

Another good reason I keep coming to this forum for hints. I definitely under utilize smoke. Pretty incredible when you look at tactically all the options available to replicate infantry combat. If you can think of a way to do it, there is probably an option in this game to enact it. It really has inherited the mantle. If CMBO was a 3d version of Squad leader, CMBN is definitely the full ASL rulebook with all the stuff you couldn't possibly remember in there.

If you put the blast point on your side of the bocage, your pioneers/engineers will remain on the friendly side, while covering the opening.

Good to know, thanks. I had my engineers mauled when they went through the hedge a couple of times.

Mies

BTW, I noticed that designated scouts (not scouting teams broken off of vanilla infantry squads) carry demo charges and can also blow breaches. This can be very handy.

:)

Michael

I was surprised to find that a US recon platoon's "Jeeps" come with a recon squad as the crew. It just lists "nth Multipurpose vehicle", and how was I to know it wasn't just a jeep and a driver? :)

As to where blasting crews should start, I think they need to be one AP away from where their blast waypoint is. If you put the waypoint on the near side and there's a choice of linear obstacles to breach (like one either side of a road), they'll breach the one that's 'past' the waypoint if they'd been going to keep heading in that direction.

If you put the waypoint on the near side and there's a choice of linear obstacles to breach (like one either side of a road), they'll breach the one that's 'past' the waypoint if they'd been going to keep heading in that direction.

Perhaps a facing command would determine the choice? Or would they blast first and then face?

Michael

If you set the blast to your side of the bocage will it harm the engineers and will it blow the hedge? I have noticed that if I set the blast on the other side then the engineers move directly through the opening. I am not too excited about these valuable troops leading the charge.

BFC is based, for all intents and purposes, in the great state of Maine. There's a well known old down-east farmer joke that ends in the punch line (imagine a thick Maine accent) "You can't get theyah from heah!" I sometimes recall that old down-east joke while trying to negotiate my men through a bocage maze. :)

If you set the blast to your side of the bocage will it harm the engineers and will it blow the hedge? I have noticed that if I set the blast on the other side then the engineers move directly through the opening. I am not too excited about these valuable troops leading the charge.

It won't harm any of your troops, engineer or otherwise, even if they're on the same action spot that you blow. I guess it's assumed that the explosions are sufficiently tamped as to just throw some dirt about and not cause blast casualties. Which makes sense, as if it wasn't tamped it wouldn't blow the terrain feature... :)