Another UI question

Have no complaints about the UI, but are rather looking for some input from people here on how to put parts of it into good use.

I just realized I never bother with the small tringles indicating all friendly forces in the top of the screen. I seem to refer to the floating icons insted, and so thinking about disguising those markers.

But before doing that, does anyone have a take on the functionality of these? Do you use them? And for what purpose? For me they only tend indicate that there are forces in that direction, and when I click on one of them, the unit is selected - which could be good but; most often one is looking for a specific unit which is hard to spot through these markers. Have I missed something brilliant here?

I know they're there, but don't even see them anymore. Considering I play WeGo only, that's pretty significant UI statement. My mind blots them out entirely. I've never used them.

Same goes for me.

P.s. DaveyJJ, I note that you have changed your signature lines. In doing so you seem to have removed the most powerful one ("Cats in ancient times etc."). Will you not reconsider?

The HUD (triangles at top of the screen) is a convention we borrowed from several other games because it was very useful for those games. It turns out the HUD isn't really all that useful for CM because of the floating icons. I proposed removing them from CM:BN but Charles said "hey, they already exist and don't hurt the game, so why not just leave them in?". Seemed logical to me too so they stay in.

If we find some other use of the screen space up top, we'll probably pull the HUD because at that point it might cause some "harm".

Steve