Scipio's and Fionn Kelly's rules

What? You guys have joined the forum in 2000 and 2004 and never heard about Fionn Kelly's CM Armor rules or Scipio´s artillery and purchase rules?!?

Those were pretty much like the bible for me when playing PBEM-games.

What a bunch of neebs... :)

Here's Fionn's:

http://tinyurl.com/3fwapje

Scipio's rules seem to have vanished from the known universe (= internet)

What? You guys have joined the forum in 2000 and 2004 and never heard about Fionn Kelly's CM Armor rules or Scipio´s artillery and purchase rules?!?

Those were pretty much like the bible for me when playing PBEM-games.

What a bunch of neebs...

Yes I knew them and played them, my computer crashed with all info and links to the rules.:D

Thanks for the link..

Where is Fionn Kelly by the way ?

As perhaps the last person to play him, I think he withdrew from the scene due to his perceived views of how the game of CM was not being played within the purity of his worldviews (realism, no flags, abhorrence of gamey force picks, etc) and likely from burnout.

That is just my opinion from my short time playing him and reading his posts. It should not be construed as putting words in his mouth, nor inferred as badmouthing him: simply as best an answer to your question as possible.

Cheers!

Leto

• 1 month later...

Scipio's rules seem to have vanished from the known universe (= internet)

Philo and Gunge gimme word from Marjory, the all-knowing, all-seeing Trash Heap. There must be left a copy on my holy HD of old projects... I'll check this after my holidays.

Inever understood why anyone thought introducing extra rules was the correct way to provide balance to a game. I avoided them as tools for the unimaginative : )

Not meant as an insult to you Scipio - I am not sure I ever saw yours - and they may have been subtle. In war balance is unusual, what is the norm is that on the battlefield, weather or some other factor can be used to change balance. Restricting tank choices seems so mechanistic.

Inever understood why anyone thought introducing extra rules was the correct way to provide balance to a game. I avoided them as tools for the unimaginative : )

Not meant as an insult to you Scipio - I am not sure I ever saw yours - and they may have been subtle. In war balance is unusual, what is the norm is that on the battlefield, weather or some other factor can be used to change balance. Restricting tank choices seems so mechanistic.

The game is not real life. Restricting tank choice or artillery choice (the rules do both) is artificial, but "anything goes" isn't necessarily a better representation of reality. Most Allied soldiers never faced a King Tiger in battle, yet there is nothing stopping players from buying one in every game they play (when they become available in the next module).

Also, some people prefer playing games where both players have a reasonable chance of emerging victorious.

As in my memories of them, I agree with Kelly's principles (no gamey pick, I prefer realistic settings and scenarios), I am not such an extremist as he looked to be.

Anyway, I still think with CMBN, due to the short time frame and rarity principles (I want to keep rarity on), there only a few settings apparently working balanced.

For example, I was proposed an open map with "mech inf" setting. As appealing as it looked to be, it was grossly unbalanced, as due to rarity limit, the Germans could only buy 3 Pumas as moving gun platforms against at least a dozen of M8 and M8 GMC. (not to speak about planes)

On the other hand, a "armor" or "mix" setting would probably be grossly unbalanced, this time towards the Germans, they could have a Panther or two, and they are very difficult to kill in long range.

Any of you have investigated the issue ?

Polo

Polo- my cure for CM*1 which I hope I can bring to CMBN scenario designers!! is that large/huge maps used to weaken the German desire for uber tanks. It also makes light units very much more valuable. Also on huge maps artillery is less destructive than on small maps.

Map design can equalise pretty much any force mix. However the greatest CM scenarios took several years to appear as late changes in the engine tanded to banjax the early scenarios, and in any event there is a huge learning curve for the designers to really maximise what is feasible.

Players with pre-conditions. I heard of them.

Your play rate is exceptional. I thought I was doing well but had to join a club that had a place to register games to keep a proper record. Finishing a game every 3 days for 10 years - whew !! Is it fun?

tcp/ip wego only (I did play 1 pbem - too slow - destest it). On weekends, at least 2 each day, typical probably 3, then at least 1 probably 3-4 nights during the work week. Whatever that adds up to, over 3 -4 years.

[Edited to include the following: Actually, I can remember playing 2-3 pbem. I think JuJu administered the first arsewhooping. I believe I played Scipio in one, but that may have been tcp/ip, and started one with MrSpkr, but don't think that one ever finished for some reason). Had basically two partners who I played hundreds of games with. One had an ID of MAXX. He was from Colorado and started selling prints of his hand sketches. I sent him $200 for a very attractive Churchill drawing and never received it. Got quite a few assurances of "I haven't got around to it; its in the mail.. etc.". Never heard from again. Other one's name was Jake, but don't remember what his ID was on here. Picked up quite a few games on the old opponent finder forum and seems like there was a chat thing associated with the BTS site at one time as well.

I played some LAN, - 1 or 2 minute turns - I have never counted them. The problem I always thought with TCP/IP was that you could not play the bigger games with 2500 -3500 points and combined arms, at a decent speed. Or the great scenarios like Tiger Valley or BotrytisII which are near the 10000 points.

Also time zones make a difference. I am quite pleased to have played someone from every continent. Every country is more difficult : ) Of the top of my head I think 14.