Ammo bearer question

All,

I have a mortar team (5 guys I believe) and there are 2 guys who have the title of mortar ammo bearer.

When I click on them, I do not see any mortars as part of their equipment.

What use are they? Are they actually carrying some of the ammo for the team but don't display it OR do they have no mortars and can be used to scout?

Thx

jonpfl

They should be carrying Mortar ammo...unless it's all been used...it does state how much they have...

If it's a one off scenario and they run out of ammo you can use them as troopers...but if it's a camapign I wouldn't do it...and don't use mortar men as troops either after they run out of ammo in a campaign...cos if they get wasted it's bye bye mortar...

Yeah, look for '60mm HE' or '81mm HE' in the ammo loadout of the bearers. When they're next to (one of) 'their' mortar(s) they'll act as a source of ammo for the mortar team. The definition of who they'll share with is dependent on the T.O of the force you're using. If they're part of the same platoon as the mortar, they'll share. You'll be able to tell they're near enough to share (assuming they've any rounds left to be generous with :) ) when the ammo count in the 'mortar' information panel is larger than the ammou count in the mortar team's ammo inventory (where you see the small arms ammo count too).

The ammo being carried is in white on the left of the tabbed UI panel at the bottom of the screen. (Sorry, no screenshot right now.) You'll see all their small arms ammo, hand grenades and the mortar ammo.

For the mortar unit, the AVAILABLE ammo is in green; it represents the sum of all the white ammo which is close enough to it to be used.

Example:

Mortar A has 24 rounds.

Mortar B has 17 rounds.

Ammo Carrier C has 40 rounds.

If all three units are close to each other, both A and B will show the sum of all rounds, 81 rounds, available as green ammo.

Does that help?

I saw this during beta testing and brought it up but I forget the answer. I'll be back.

Okay. I just looked it up. The answer was that at the very start of the game the ammo bearers handed over the ammo to the MG team. I am not sure if this is accurate as I moved on to other things. Maybe you can test more?

Also remember that veichles serve as ammo bearers. The ammo in them will automatically be shared out to adjacent units if these are lacking. So, a mortar team with a nearby truck full of bombs doesn't need to send its dedicated ammo bearers to board it and aquire the bombs to get them. When they start to get low on ammo, they will automatically get it from the truck. Veichles even serve as ammo bearers to infantry from any platoon, not only their own. I find this very convenient.

Also remember that veichles serve as ammo bearers. The ammo in them will automatically be shared out to adjacent units if these are lacking. So, a mortar team with a nearby truck full of bombs doesn't need to send its dedicated ammo bearers to board it and aquire the bombs to get them. When they start to get low on ammo, they will automatically get it from the truck. Veichles even serve as ammo bearers to infantry from any platoon, not only their own. I find this very convenient.

Yes, it now seems to be useful to protect your jeeps and trucks rather than use them as suicide scouts like in the old version.