Veins Germans & 2nd Rangers (pic heavy)

Vein

Not convincingly. The sleeve models project out a little more than the Marines in CMSF so that you can'y hide the join even with gloves. It just looks odd.

shame it would of been good to see a few with sleeves rolled up. it was summer after all

Damn you LongLeftFlank! I was completely at peace with the Officer's hat, but NOW it rubs like sand in my eyes.

So...

capscap.jpg

Yes, I noticed this... it's as if different artists worked on the Panzer and infantry officer caps isn't it? I think the in-game panzer peaked cap looks more professionally done, both in model design and high texture quality. Even the lo-res swastika insignia on the "bad cap" texture is mirrored! First thing I noticed about the panzer officer's cap was the nice high quality material texture AND the swastika the historically correct way round, same as the belt-buckles.

So, if you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to swap the superior panzer officers cap model over with the bad one?? I mean, to appear in-game on the infantry units? Outstanding job if you managed to do it!? Or did you just photoshop the above image to illustrate the point? Or maybe you changed the names of the textures and dismounted the officer from his tank to make that picture? I hope we can actually get rid of that bad cap model in-game for good. Can we?? (and don't forget editing the pink panzer piping to the correct silver/white officer Waffenfarbe for infantry and SS). :)

From what I'm gleaning all headgear is swapable. You could theoretically put officer caps on all the German soldiers or even the American soldiers, though why you would want to is another question. I'm thinking this is more for plans down the road where we might get British Airborne in both helmets and berets or possibly adding Feldmitzen to the Germans. One sees a lot of pictures of Germans in Feldmitzen but I don't know how often they actually went into combat wearing them. Bill Mauldin in "Up Front" indicates it wasn't unusual in Italy.

I understand no "new" type of headgear can be added.

I did a bit of model swapping, hex editing, file renaming and texture modifying.

Headgear IS swappable but not easily.

As it's all stuff that isn't hidden (unlike the soldier skeletons) I imagine that I could update my german mod if you want it (I changed the cap after I uploaded the mod).

capon.jpg

Wow of course, hexed!! thanks! Ah well... what can I say... outstanding job. I bet I wouldn't be the only one here who'd dearly love to use your fixed officers cap! There's no chance I could ever hex edit that on my own. So please, it'd be amazing if you could upload your v3 for us to enjoy your artistic work sir.

And yes I agree I'd love to see headgear like M43 caps in the game... but I'm guessing that, like you say, we "can't" (officially!?) add NEW hats/helmets models... because if we "could" do that, then we could make our own Fallschirmjäger units!! Hehe I doubt we'd ever see THAT mod on the Repository! (not until after the official Commonwealth/SS/Fallschirmjäger add-on is out anyway) ;):D

I have tried uploading it to the Repository about 4 times but it keeps saying 'Unspecified file', whatever that means.

I'll try uploading it from my work Mac (as opposed to my fun PC), and see it that makes a difference. It's around 160 mb.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...