No gunner in 251

I'm playing Le Desert. I order my squad to jump out of their 251 and notice that it means that no gunner is available anymore to man the MG 34. So that means when the squad is gone, with it the firepower of the 251 is gone too. All SPW are pretty useless when the squad has left the vehicle, aren't they?

It is my understanding that these vehicles are really meant for transportation and not fire support, so the only crew that remains is the driver. But you can load any other unit, even a single soldier who may be a sole survivor from a squad that was wiped out, and he will man the MG.

It may all depend on which 251 you're talking about. I just purchased a Pzgrenadier company. When I offloaded my squad a driver and MG operator was left behind. The 251/1 and 251/3 both. Aufklaurung (or however its spelled) 250/1, I unload the team and driver and MG gunner stay behind. Regimental Pioneer Company with 251/7, when I offload the troops there's no gunner staying behind.There's so many different German units in-game, it would take a while to pick through all of them.

This was a very tricky thing for me to deal with. Normally an armored transport vehicle crew and the passengers are all part of the same Squad. There are many reasons for this and it is the standard even with today's armored infantry formations.

Under most circumstances the Squad Leader would decide if one man should stay behind to man the MG or if he would be put to better use dismounting and acting as a rifleman. This presents a lot of challenges for the game and, by extension, the player (i.e. micromanagement headaches). Therefore, I had to make a choice as to which would be the normal circumstance.

In most cases it was better to leave a soldier in the Halftrack to man the MG, but not in all cases. I changed my mind about this a couple of times here and there during development. It is possible that a scenario didn't get updated correctly after a change. I suspect this is what Aragorn2002 is seeing in Le Desert.

Steve

Just a thought, in the future is there maybe a way to have a popup similar to the way aquire ammo has for maybe a choice to leave a gunner behind or not? In a huge game probably not that big of a deal but in smaller battles a choice like that can be a huge difference. I am sure this is one of those things that is probably on your list but I would wager it's wayyyy down the list. :)

This was a very tricky thing for me to deal with. Normally an armored transport vehicle crew and the passengers are all part of the same Squad. There are many reasons for this and it is the standard even with today's armored infantry formations.

Under most circumstances the Squad Leader would decide if one man should stay behind to man the MG or if he would be put to better use dismounting and acting as a rifleman. This presents a lot of challenges for the game and, by extension, the player (i.e. micromanagement headaches). Therefore, I had to make a choice as to which would be the normal circumstance.

In most cases it was better to leave a soldier in the Halftrack to man the MG, but not in all cases. I changed my mind about this a couple of times here and there during development. It is possible that a scenario didn't get updated correctly after a change. I suspect this is what Aragorn2002 is seeing in Le Desert.

Steve

Okay, so normally a gunner stays behind. Thanks for the explanation. Great game btw.

Awesome. Thanks for posting.

I could not help but notice that the SPWs in the training film are being used as panzer assault vehicles! They drive right up to the enemy and then the PzGdrs dismount.

That seems very dangerous given the fact that any Russian AntiTank rifle would have a great chance to penetrate the SPW and cause crew casualties. I thought that SPW usage would be much more conservative, given the lightness of the armor protection.

If you want someone to man an unmanned HT mg either find some layabout not doing anything useful (like a kubelwagen driver) or split the squad then load them onto the vehicle to man the gun. The main problem with the split squad is you can't usually split a team smaller than two

Training films try to encourage behavior that will almost never be carried out on a battlefield. ;)

Yes, halftracks were used as fire support.

No, they probably didn't roll right into the enemy's face with any regularity.

Exceptions would be in cases of over-running a formation, when you just roll right through broken or fleeing troops while mounted.

Is there a difference between the SPW 250/1's? The first scenario of the German campagin, SPW 250/1 Halftrack 1, has one crew less - one passenger more than the other 3. Since it was mentioned that could be an oversight thought i'd mention it.

As well, the dismounts have been odd on this map, often going 40m to the map edge. I never recalled this in SF, and tested in a QB, and both passengers and crewed simply exited the vehicle. Not sure if this was an isolated case, due to morale or another variable.