Combat Mission and Steam

Hmm I don't have CMBN downloaded yet but I know that CMSF works with it. Hope there is a fix since the chat makes it a lot easier to coordinate MP games.

Really odd considering that even CMx1 games work with Steam, BF you didn't sabatoge it to get back at us for nagging y'all about selling CM through Steam, did you? :P

CMBN uses our new online activation system (unlike CMSF or CMx1 games). Part of that new activation system is a much better protection against hackers, which includes protection against anything that would be 'sniffing' around the game's code. This may make the game incompatible with whatever Steam is doing.

Say that three times real fast. I got steam too but only for the 2 games I really wanted otherwise I would not have bothered. Probably the best option would be to allow SF/BN to use windows then you could use whatever program you like.

One thing that I love about BFC is that they won't have anything to do with Steam. I have it because some games require it, but I do not like it one whit and would (will) uninstall it the moment it is feasible to do so.

I would much prefer to buy CM on Steam. I would rather have unlimited downloads and installations, automatic patching and all the other great Steam features than all the limitations we have now. Like only being able to download the game during the first year.

One thing that I love about BFC is that they won't have anything to do with Steam. I have it because some games require it, but I do not like it one whit and would (will) uninstall it the moment it is feasible to do so.

Heck yes, I know that I'm supporting BF 100% instead of a bunch of money hungry suits.

Pro and Cons with Steam.

Pros - patching stuff is usually simple.

You can save money if you are patient or preorder.

Games you are only half interested in and don't bother getting immediately can become real cheap eg. $10 Medieval Total War II for me 18 months after it was released

$45 savings on CoD4 new

$60 for ALL the Warhaer 40K if you preordered.

Cons

In Australia the server connections when downloading can be REAL bad.

Some games even though they are sold through steam still have trouble launching from it.

Steam seems to bugs people just by being there even though it uses hardly any resources and on any half modern duo-core+ machine would have no measurable impact on anything serious they are doing.

Being forced to use by it publishers that want to use it's anti-piracy features annoys people.

i have no intention of playing CMBN through steam,just for the community contacts and chat functions,for lining up a game or two.

but,ive never had a drama with steam really,i reckon i have 200 odd steam games

and i play a few of them online through the program

each to their own i guess

Salute!

Steam do have some advantages. Although I was reluctant to use it few years ago, I'm gradually getting into it, and really helps.

It helps the players with good deals, autopatching and easy multiplayer, and helps developers by making their games much more visible, attractive and accesible to a wider audience. I wouldn't have bought 3/4 of the games I acquired through Steam if they weren't there.

yes i also want to advertise CMBN over steam when playing, i tried it with Afghanistan when it came out but it was also a problem :(

This is the lost opportunity for BFC. Every friend I have on steam has asked me about CMBO at some point for this very reason. Which apparently will not happen with CMBN.