Texture Quality

I shouldn't worry about this, because I am quite happy with the graphics on my machine in general, but the question is nagging me for quite some time now:

In the options screen you can enter your preference for model quality and texture quality.

In game you can dynamically change the setting for the model quality, but not for the texture quality.

However, whatever you choose, the game engine will fall back on quality when it lacks resources, and I heard that choosing quality too high can even give you worse quality than choosing modest to start with.

I always have the setting on best/best even though I have a very modest processor, and I am happy with the ~15 FPS it gives me. Depending on map size and complexity, I can see the model and texture quality drop off with distance.

When are people setting the base textures quality lower, and when will it actually improve your graphics?

you should test it out. Balanced/Balanced can triple your FPS in certain cases, but has little impact on visual quality. The vehicles and soldier models look the same, the terrain is impacted, but you really have to examine it in detail to make out the difference.

I have started playing with that setting over the past few days. The game is very fluid and looks the same as before while playing.

Some testers use Best for 3d models/Balanced for texture. If you want to compare texture quality, there also a hot key: { or } to allow you to do it on the fly in game.

Since I spent about 2 hours doing this I thought I would share the results for two reasons:

- Many have had questions about eking out FPS and the impact of this setting or that setting

- I know I love to steal others settings that are proven to work so I figured I could return the favor

System specs:

AMD PhenomII X4 965 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU (3.4Ghz)

MSI 770-G45 AM3 770 Chipset CrossFireX Support DDR3 Socket AM3 ATX Mainboard

6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

600 Watts Power Supply (XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply)

ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB DDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [DirectX 11 Support]

DX 11 & DX 9 installed

- Running game on a 23” Samsung monitor at 1920x1800 rez

Benchmark approach:

- FRAPS (many insist that FRAPS itself steals a bunch of frames from CM games – don’t know if that is really the case or not)

- Saved a turn about 2 minutes in from the third battle.

- Replayed 60 seconds of the next turn w/ FRAPS over and over again at the same view level w/ the lead tank locked up. (Note: was impressed by the variations in results each turn.)

Game graphics settings that I am now using:

Display = desktop (1920x1800)

Vsync = Off

3D Model = Improved

3d Texture = Best

AA/Multi-sample = On

High = On

ATI = On

Shadows = Off

Frames Time (ms) Min Max Avg

2288 60000 24 53 38.133

Observations:

- Shadows KILL FPS as can be seen by comparing the first two benchmarks (low settings/shadows on to low settings/shadows off). So goodbye shadows – sigh.

- The 3D Model setting has an effect on FPS as well – and “Improved” (coupled w/ setting Texture to Best) looks the same to me as higher settings so “Improved” it is.

- AA/Multisample has the largest effect on GFX quality – duh! – so must be set to On

- Turning the High Priority setting to On gave me a +5 FPS boost and did not seem to effect anything else so…set to On.

- All CCC settings were set to their lowest level or application controlled. I did do another round of benchmarking consisting of turning these all on or up high and found they had NO effect on GFX quality but most hit FPS – so I’m keeping them at the lowest settings.

The settings above give me the best balance of smooth game play and GFX quality. Of course, your mileage may vary.

What key do you use to change model quality on the fly in game? Ive read the manual but i dont have such button, which is it?

{ = lowers texture quality. (on my keyboard, it is alt+7)

} = increase texture quality.(on my keyboard, it is alt+8)

model quality cant be changed in game, you have to set it in the "options" screen.

So basically my machine is running great... and now thanks to Sgt Joch I see how to adjust. Because lets face it... I want to be able to see the Arm patches of the US soldiers if they have any... Paratroopers at least right? Shoulder boards of the enemy... and the whites of their eyes real good. LOL :)

{ = lowers texture quality. (on my keyboard, it is alt+7)

} = increase texture quality.(on my keyboard, it is alt+8)

model quality cant be changed in game, you have to set it in the "options" screen.

It's the other way around, actually: Level of detail is { and }. Texture quality can't be changed ingame.