The incomprehensible AI behaviour thread

One of the disadvantages of WEGO and of CM's excellent realism is that when units do something weird it really sticks out. Sometimes you can pretend to yourself that there is a sound reason but sometimes... This thread is for those other moments.

* My HMG came under arty fire and the gunner was killed. The other people in the squad continued to fire at the enemy... with their rifles. Well done lads.

* A veteran scout squad told to hide in the trees seems to have panicked under arty fire and decided to open up on the overwhelming American forces c 100m away and in cover.

Any other favourite AI failures?

* My HMG came under arty fire and the gunner was killed. The other people in the squad continued to fire at the enemy... with their rifles. Well done

Did the weapon display in the GUI say "KNOCKED OUT"? If so, the gun was damaged, and that's why the HMG was never re-manned.

The only AI issue I have had so far and its really not the AI's fault because technically it was trying to do what I told it to do.

Thinking that I had found a break in the bocage I order a squad to an adjacent field. They proceeded to jog around the entire field looking for a way to complete the move. Of course they only made it about half way before they were slaughtered.

Had I been playing RT then I could have stopped them before they got gunned down (providing I was paying attention and not distracted with something else).

A better solution would be to add an indicator to the waypoint plot (maybe a red X or a red line over an area that would show block movement).

Yes, I´m having a little difficulties with this. Sometimes it looks like there´s an opening in the bocage and there´s not. It can also be difficult to see the holes that the breeching teams make in the bocage. I find going to level 6 looking straight down on the map helps with this.

One really easy way to spot the gaps in the bocage is to lower the graphics level of detail to the lowest setting (you can change level of detail on the fly in the game). At the lowest level of detail, the bocage looks like a 2-dimensional, green wall when viewed from medium to long distance, and the small gaps are really easy to spot.

Not sure if it was a failure but it sure was strange. I have two squads an assault order to enter a house while being covered by a thrid squad and a tank. The first squad was a bit a head and moved in no problem and started shooting at the Germans in the next building over. They all huddled around the windows at one end and fired away. The second squad entered the building and once most of the squad was inside started doing this dance from one side of the building to the other. I was like they were restless and unable to just sit down. Once the whole squad was inside they kept on doing for the rest of the turn. One or two of them would go back and forth back and forth. It was like they were saying "give us a turn guys, let us have some room at the windows".

At the end of the turn I noticed that the first squad was nervous and the second one was rattled. They sure looked rattled. So, perhaps that was it. Next turn the stopped and joined their mates to provide covering fire for the third squad. Once the Platoon HQ got in their a few turns later they were no longer rattled.

Ian

One of the disadvantages of WEGO and of CM's excellent realism is that when units do something weird it really sticks out. Sometimes you can pretend to yourself that there is a sound reason but sometimes... This thread is for those other moments.

* My HMG came under arty fire and the gunner was killed. The other people in the squad continued to fire at the enemy... with their rifles. Well done lads.

* A veteran scout squad told to hide in the trees seems to have panicked under arty fire and decided to open up on the overwhelming American forces c 100m away and in cover.

So in your world troops always make the right decision? There is no panicking, no mistakes made by soldiers in the heat of battle? Everything is to run as if in a perfect formula? LOL...yeah that is how it works in real life too.;)

One really easy way to spot the gaps in the bocage is to lower the graphics level of detail to the lowest setting (you can change level of detail on the fly in the game). At the lowest level of detail, the bocage looks like a 2-dimensional, green wall when viewed from medium to long distance, and the small gaps are really easy to spot.

Great tip! I wondered why we have keys for in-game control of the graphics detail level... now I know!

In one of the Wittman-esque battles in the full game, a column of tanks advances down the road towards my Panther. One crests and is blown up and within a few seconds another does the same. But within a minute or so the remaining two follow the same path up the road into certain death. I know that people can be stupid, but just how stupid?

I had an incident where a squad was Assaulting and the covering element all Cowered when the lead element took some casualties. Thought that had been addressed.

Were you using the assault command? If so it most certainly has not been addressed, the whole section is treated as one for supression - always has done and I have never seen anything to suggest that it had been changed. Indeed this weakness of the command has been mentioned on the forum several times in recent days. Hand-crafting assaults is a much better option in pretty much all circumtances.