BF, You Blew It

It is not my job to falsely reassure people.

That wasn't my intention or expectation.

I'm simply a bit scared about the feature (if at all) only being implemented in a later game like CM:Bulge. Because that would pretty much limit me to that.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@LemoN

its very likely that you have to buy the new feature in a new game, more unlikely in a module and most unlikely will it come free as patch. that´s part of the new plan.

i thought for quiet some time TCP/IP WEGO will be patched into CMSF, it always sounded like it could happen but it never did.

... And looking at what we've achieved with CMx2 on the whole, I think we've delivered more great stuff than anybody else has ever delivered to wargaming PERIOD....

Congratulations on your self-confidence.. Keeping in mind the game hasn't even been released yet..

Thanks, keeps my inbox free. :)

EDIT: It's not that I wouldn't be interested in ROW, I just won't participate if it's PBEM only.

AFAIK, since you did not indicate your interest in the tournament, it's moot.

Therefore, we did not "blow it" by failing to improve multiplayer options this time around. It's simply a matter of us only being able to do so much for any given space of time. And looking at what we've achieved with CMx2 on the whole, I think we've delivered more great stuff than anybody else has ever delivered to wargaming PERIOD. Complaints need to be kept in context in order to be taken seriously.

Steve

Steve - agreed. BF has done more for wargaming than any other publisher out there. I am a supporter.

But I quietly add my voice to those that see the sidelining of the MP dimension as a huge pity. Remember that the name BF made for itself back in the CM1 days was based on the fact that everything CM1 offered was better than the competition and catered for the armchair wargamer who loves to be in control and loves realism. It was unique. It was the best out there - it was way ahead of its time. A community of MP online gamers was created who could watch the action in 3D over and over again, and yet take time to plan the next move and get it right. It was wargaming MP bliss.

I'm not sure CMBN, based upon what I have seen of the demo, is quite so far ahead any more. You guys wanted to make a better living, you know the market is centred around single player and real time so you bowed to market forces. Nothing wrong in that - sensible business. But I think the "unique selling point" of CM1 has now been lost. CMBN looks like a much better, realistic, detailed version of a host of other games out there. Online WeGo was your unique selling point and with its disappearance from CM2 as an online feature the guys who buttered your bread back in 2000 are frustrated. WeGo as an online MP feature should have been right on the front page of the long term strategy for CM, a feature that might be a pain to code but must be kept in because it keeps CM2 unique. Doing it for PBEM only was a half way house solution, and like so many half way solutions it is flawed. Make all the improvements, but keep what was unique.

I'll still buy the game, I'll still play it. I'll pray that my realtime MP games dont turn into a "who can use the mouse fastest" competition, but I suspect they might. Your bank balances will grow - - - but something of the magic will have gone and that will taste bitter.

If it is possible to recode it back in sometime in the future I would put it back on the front page of that long term strategy, not for the money it will make you (probably not much), but for the position of your product in the history books. CM caters to an audience that loves its history: make sure your place in that timeline is as secure as it can be and keeps its hold on greatness.

If BFC didn't have confidence in this, they wouldn't be ready to release the game.

Yes, yes, I know.. For me this statement just makes Battlefront's stiff attitude to gamer's requests more understandable.. How dare they criticize such a perfect product..

Battlefront did not implement wego in order to satisfy a relatively (as we now see) large group of players, however after several posts in this thread they admit that it might be added later because it is "desirable and probably practical".

Yes, yes, I know.. For me this statement just makes Battlefront's stiff attitude to gamer's requests more understandable.. How dare they criticize such a perfect product..

Where did Steve say their product is perfect? If anything, CM excels because BFC continuously strives to improve their product.

And looking at what we've achieved with CMx2 on the whole, I think we've delivered more great stuff than anybody else has ever delivered to wargaming PERIOD

Battlefront did not implement wego in order to satisfy a relatively (as we now see) large group of players, however after several posts in this thread they admit that it might be added later because it is "desirable and probably practical".

As Steve said, absolutely nothing new or insightful has been raised in this thread. And many of the loudest complainers are simply restating what BFC has already heard from them. I promise you that BFC does not set their priorities based on forum popularity contests.

Steve, Dec. 2010, in this forum:

TCP/IP WeGo, without Replay, was intended for CM:BN. However, here we are... nearly a year over schedule, and this feature isn't in. We're not interested in keeping everybody waiting so a feature that appeals to a minority can be added. If we prioritized things like that the game would never be done.

This doesn't mean the feature isn't important, nor that we're oblivious that to some people this is the defining thing they are waiting for. It just means what we've always said... we can't be all things to all people all the time. Someone will always be disappointed with any decision we make. But if I had to hazard a guess, more people would be upset to have the game delayed even by one day for TCP/IP WeGo than will be upset to have the game ship without it.

Life is all about compromises. Players can choose not to compromise, but we can't.

TCP/IP WeGo without playback will be in the game at some point. I'm hoping it can be added to CM:BN as it was to CMBO. But I can't make any promises because we have honestly not detailed what will be added post release. We're too busy at the moment.

Steve

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=94386

Nonsense.

Years ago Steve already stated that he would very much like a replay and pause functionality in TCP/IP.

problem with this is that they admitted to it back in 2007. 4 years ago :(

there was nothing wrong with fixing the game first, but the new game CMBN judging by the demo is in a quiet good state.

I think if it came to a vote whether we should add movable waypoints or RealTime Pause I'm pretty confident movable waypoints would win.

Steve

Sounds good lets vote!

I assuming from your post movable waypoints are way near the top? Maybe put your top 3-4 items with RT/Auto pause and lets see the results.

Might be some excellent marketing for you?

Rather than waiting (and "hoping") till the batlle of the bulge new engine (3-4 years?), maybe it might allow some precious programming time towards the features most wanted form your community....

I'm not bothered as I don't play MP....luckly I'm rubbish at gaming so SP is great for me...so as far as I'm concerend it's a big well done to BF...will keep me happy for a longtime...i.e years...

Someone said they don't think BF is that far ahead of others...would someone please show me these tactical games so I can buy them??

As Steve said, absolutely nothing new or insightful has been raised in this thread. And many of the loudest complainers are simply restating what BFC has already heard from them. I promise you that BFC does not set their priorities based on forum popularity contests.

So what do BFC sets its priorities on? For me forum is not a popularity contest, it just gives you the idea what the needs and expectations of gamers are.. And I think games are made for gamers.. So in my opinion requests posted here should be taken into consideration..

Particularly this wego issue. I am not a professional programmer so I may be wrong, but I think that this feature is really, really tiny im comparison with huge developing efforts made over years (game mechanics improvements, graphical issues..). So the argument that thay had no time because they were busy with something else can not persuade me..

I'm not bothered as I don't play MP....luckly I'm rubbish at gaming so SP is great for me...so as far as I'm concerned it's a big well done to BF...will keep me happy for a longtime...i.e years...

Someone said they don't think BF is that far ahead of others...would someone please show me these tactical games so I can buy them??

I am very glad the AI is challenging for you. Even for years on end.

You might want to try an MP game sometime. You will not be disappointed! It is amazing to play against a thinking live person.

Matrix has the only other game close to tactical wargaming. I use the "close" loosely. It is in essence a CMBB+. The only thing good they have is theTCP/Ip option for MP games.

I'm not bothered as I don't play MP....luckly I'm rubbish at gaming so SP is great for me...so as far as I'm concerend it's a big well done to BF...will keep me happy for a longtime...i.e years...

Amen , Brother ...

Only thing "blown" is my free time !! :D:D:D

Nonsense.

Years ago Steve already stated that he would very much like a replay and pause functionality in TCP/IP.

And that was the reason for NOT putting it in? :)

Great Game,

Patience people, all will be well with time.. Steve and team, great job.. If fact I have purchase both a mac and pc version.. So that the light side and fight the dark side.. I even have 2 helmets, (u.s & german) which helps.. Though I have found that my dual personality is an aid also. Plus a chair with casters...

And a case of Red Bull...

So Cmak, coming out in July of this year???:D

Seems like all these other goodies get higher priority.....both through out the CMSF days and looks like the CMBN days also. CM:BOTB is our only saviour?

I hope I'm wrong......

I found that William Shatner could be a savior/messiah but he denies that he's the messiah.