A bit concerned...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What link is that? I just tried it and I end op at worthplaying.com and it is perfectly legit. Just curious.

That's because I fixed the link. It was indeed pointing to Worthplaying's CM Afghanistan demo download area. Either a typo on our part, or they changed something on their end (links leading to external sites are never guaranteed to work for ever).

Intellectually challenged? Absolutely.

How many of you out there thought of something else when reading this?

For us, we've learned that we can eventually get the two in the bush by simply existing and making great games. It's one of the reasons why we're still here and the likes of SSI are not.

Steve

That proof is in the proverbial Yorkshire pudding.

I think yllamana makes a series of good points in a well argued and balanced way.

I also recognise some of his comments regarding the user interface from my own experience with some PC software.

As a long term Mac user I havent had the opportunity to play CMSF, but do use PC-based image analysis software at work that follows non-intuitive and downright 'clunky' user interface rules. That doesnt make it bad software (indeed it is extremely powerful and flexible). However I have noticed that while habitual PC users accept and deal with it, Mac users are used to a world in which the user interface experience is more controlled, consistent and intuitive. As a result PC software often jars with Mac people because of its unfamiliarity.

Im not arguing that this makes one system inherently better than the other. But would suggest that this might make feedback from Mac people particularly valuable when it comes to smoothing the friction inherent in any user interface design.

Just my 2p worth....

Im not arguing that this makes one system inherently better than the other. But would suggest that this might make feedback from Mac people particularly valuable when it comes to smoothing the friction inherent in any user interface design.

Charles and I have been using a Mac as our daily computer since the late 1980s. Since BootCamp came out I haven't used a PC at all. Since Mac CM:BN became a beta reality I haven't used BootCamp at all.

The only thing un-Mac about CMx2 is that it really does need a two button mouse. Apple is an amazing company with justified reasons to be worshiped for its innovations. But refusing to explicitly support a 2 button mouse for so long was absolutely not one of their brightest moves. For me, personally, I use my old Dell mouse with a PS-2 to USB adaptor. Works like a charm.

Steve

Charles and I have been using a Mac as our daily computer since the late 1980s. Since BootCamp came out I haven't used a PC at all. Since Mac CM:BN became a beta reality I haven't used BootCamp at all.

The only thing un-Mac about CMx2 is that it really does need a two button mouse. Apple is an amazing company with justified reasons to be worshiped for its innovations. But refusing to explicitly support a 2 button mouse for so long was absolutely not one of their brightest moves. For me, personally, I use my old Dell mouse with a PS-2 to USB adaptor. Works like a charm.

Steve

Haven't all of Apple's mice have been two "button" (admittedly, one surface) mice for the last five(?) years or more? The function is turned off by default which I find really annoying so that many people don't find it in the System Preferences, but my son gets my right button/contextual click just fine after turning that on in System Preferences. Or is it the single surface that's annoying? There was a period of single button for a long time sure, but those days are long past.

Laptops have effectively one button, and I don't remember when they went to the "Magic Mouse" which at least has awkward support for multiple buttons. What I'm saying is they should have a PC mouse with two large right/left buttons and a scrollwheel between them. No having to press down a key no need to manually figure out how to mimic right-click behavior. It should just work right out of the box.

Steve

Hah. They've been predicting the end of hex and chit board wargames since the 1970s and we're actually in a renaissance of sorts with superb titles coming out from lots of publishers. I'd be surprised if someone didn't take up our hobby as we drop away.

Agreed. When I started playing these games at the age of 16 my friends thought I was either crazy or a nerdy genius - very few of them could grasp the game mechanics or the motivation.

It's not as though the 70's generation of table top gamers were mainstream teens!

Laptops have effectively one button, and I don't remember when they went to the "Magic Mouse" which at least has awkward support for multiple buttons. What I'm saying is they should have a PC mouse with two large right/left buttons and a scrollwheel between them. No having to press down a key no need to manually figure out how to mimic right-click behavior. It should just work right out of the box.

Steve

Oh, laptop, right (glances down at his own MBP laptop, d'oh!). yes it should work right out of the box, agreed.

Steve

Have you used one of the more recent multi-touch trackpads on a mac? I first thought it was a gimmick but after using it for a minute you won't go back! :)

Right clicking is for instance a two-finger click. For basic surfing I never have to lift a finger from the trackpad.

Support for multitouch in CM would be very nice.

When I have to use my MacBook Pro's trackpad I do really like it (normally I have a mouse and keyboard plugged into it). It is, however, a little tough to play CM because of heavily reliance on mouse clicking behavior. Or put another way, it takes getting used to. If there were explicit buttons it wouldn't be. But I do like the big, one piece trackpad for everything else :D

Steve