Off topic - has anyone tried Airsoft?

This probably seems way off topic but it is relevant - has anyone here tried Airsoft (like paint ball but with plastic 6mm BBs and way more realistic)?

I highly recommend it as it's a really good way to remind yourself (or learn) about the nitty gritty of small unit tactics and will inform my CMBN play I am sure. You do need to find a good squad to play with though.

I had my first experience of it at a great woodlands site a couple of weeks ago, and today I bought myself a replica M4 (a lovely piece of kit) and now I've got my wife to agree that I can take one Sunday a month to go and try recapturing my youth! Just searching through the attic today for my old kit bag.

Check it out - it only costs as much as a Battlefront game to play a couple of times a month :) (And no, I own no shares and receive no commissions!)

(like paint ball but with plastic 6mm BBs and way more realistic)?

That is totally dependent on how much money you're willing to put into it. I play with a group and I believe the most expensive gun fielded is maybe 50$. For us airsoft is our unreal tournament while Paintball is our Arma.

This probably seems way off topic but it is relevant - has anyone here tried Airsoft (like paint ball but with plastic 6mm BBs and way more realistic)?

I highly recommend it as it's a really good way to remind yourself (or learn) about the nitty gritty of small unit tactics and will inform my CMBN play I am sure. You do need to find a good squad to play with though.

I had my first experience of it at a great woodlands site a couple of weeks ago, and today I bought myself a replica M4 (a lovely piece of kit) and now I've got my wife to agree that I can take one Sunday a month to go and try recapturing my youth! Just searching through the attic today for my old kit bag.

Check it out - it only costs as much as a Battlefront game to play a couple of times a month :) (And no, I own no shares and receive no commissions!)

Can I get 88m paintballs with a muzzle velocity of 1000m/sec?

That is totally dependent on how much money you're willing to put into it. I play with a group and I believe the most expensive gun fielded is maybe 50$. For us airsoft is our unreal tournament while Paintball is our Arma.

Well, if you want to own your own weapon, the Airsoft upfront cost is higher, I admit, but the cost of ammunition is way lower - a day's play (1700 rounds of ammo for £5 plus site fee £15) is only £20.

I played a lot of paint ball and still have all my own kit, but I could never get used to those great big hoppers. Having a replica infantry assault weapon makes a big difference for me personally, in terms of immersion. Also, the BBs often draw blood, which makes me take things that little bit more seriously :)

I'm not knocking paint ball mind you - to each his own and I enjoyed it for years!

The Government pays me to do something similar though (I even have my own 60T off roader with Government plates on it - don't even have to pay for the fuel, let alone the ammunition).

Sadly the only way to have a go at Airsoft in Oz is to sign up for a 6 year hitch with the Government Club.

Airsoft is currently illegal in Oz, or at least the weapons are, might be changing tho'.

http://www.airsoftaustralia.com.au/

Have played for a couple of years with family and a local club. Any excuse to break out the old field gear and act about 20 years younger. Have three rifles (MP5, AKS, M4) each about $150 USD. Even the wife and daughter go out from time to time - my kids mom DID wear combat boots back in the day. She looks great in face paint too!

Well, if you want to own your own weapon, the Airsoft upfront cost is higher, I admit, but the cost of ammunition is way lower - a day's play (1700 rounds of ammo for £5 plus site fee £15) is only £20.

I played a lot of paint ball and still have all my own kit, but I could never get used to those great big hoppers. Having a replica infantry assault weapon makes a big difference for me personally, in terms of immersion. Also, the BBs often draw blood, which makes me take things that little bit more seriously :)

I'm not knocking paint ball mind you - to each his own and I enjoyed it for years!

As a former avid paintballer, I have a few questions about Airsoft myself:

1. I just don't understand how you can tell if someone is hit. There's no paint mark as evidence. Are people just super honest or is getting hit so painful that you're going to want to declare yourself hit? There's already a fair amount of wiping in paintball and I can see honesty being a huge issue with airsoft.

2. Are the guns absurdly fast firing like some of the paintball guns (or faster) and do they hold an absurd amount of ammo like the paintball hoppers? Paintball unfortunately has devolved into a sport where battle tactics takes a backdoor to gun technology. With nearly everyone using fast firing guns with huge hoppers of ammo, there's a LOT of paint flying around. Big firefights often boil down to battles of attrition rather than tactical teamwork, usually because it's suicide to to leave cover to attempt to flank or gain ground.

I kind of yearn for playing scenario games which mimic real world gun capabilities. Something like 1 automatic gun with a big hopper per squad. The rest of the squad would have semi-auto or auto guns with 50 round hoppers, maybe even one specialized sniper gun. I just don't know any fields that play this style.

1. It is all honor based. For the most part, no real problem. At least, at larger events.

2. Most of the primary events require specific kit, or restrictions to. Mostly mid-low capacity mags, (30 rnds, or sometimes 100 rnds) only one SAW per squad, max velocity of bb, etc.

I got into it cause of the military. We used airsoft weapons once, and I checked it out later. Very mature group of players, from what I've seen. There are always exceptions, but I have loved every minute of playing.

I don't remember the link policy here, but just google search "Lion Claws airsoft". Op Irene is the big event, usually at either Mascatatuck, IN., or Zussman Village, Ft. Knox, KY. Very cool stuff.

As a former avid paintballer, I have a few questions about Airsoft myself:

1. I just don't understand how you can tell if someone is hit. There's no paint mark as evidence. Are people just super honest or is getting hit so painful that you're going to want to declare yourself hit? There's already a fair amount of wiping in paintball and I can see honesty being a huge issue with airsoft.

2. Are the guns absurdly fast firing like some of the paintball guns (or faster) and do they hold an absurd amount of ammo like the paintball hoppers? Paintball unfortunately has devolved into a sport where battle tactics takes a backdoor to gun technology. With nearly everyone using fast firing guns with huge hoppers of ammo, there's a LOT of paint flying around. Big firefights often boil down to battles of attrition rather than tactical teamwork, usually because it's suicide to to leave cover to attempt to flank or gain ground.

I kind of yearn for playing scenario games which mimic real world gun capabilities. Something like 1 automatic gun with a big hopper per squad. The rest of the squad would have semi-auto or auto guns with 50 round hoppers, maybe even one specialized sniper gun. I just don't know any fields that play this style.

note to self: read full post before asking question that has already been answered