Appears there's no game lobby mechanism

Most multi-player games these days have a lobby in which you can create matches. VASSAL being the most notable for turn based games.

After reading the 'just uploaded' online manual, it appears that this is not a component of CM:BN.

As excited as I am about getting this game, it's disappointing not see this very well established method of game matchup incorporated.

Hamachi works, but a lobby is what I would expect in 2009+.

Most multi-player games these days have a lobby in which you can create matches. VASSAL being the most notable for turn based games.

After reading the 'just uploaded' online manual, it appears that this is not a component of CM:BN.

As excited as I am about getting this game, it's disappointing not see this very well established method of game matchup incorporated.

Real time scum...

What 10 game significant game features and 100 bug fixes would you have sacrificed for the lobby feature? Because that's the way things work... we can't provide everything to all people all the time whenever any one of them wants it. Simply impossible. A MP lobby would be great to have, but we had bigger fish to fry with this release.

Steve

Guess you‘ll be disappointed then, I’m afraid.

There was an X-fire group around for CM:SF which worked fairly well, and a Steam group could be thrown together pretty easily. Just trade IPS and off you go.

There already is at least one steam group.

There were posts about that before the latest frenzy of “Is it out yet?” and / or “Why isn’t it out yet?” posts.

And its not really “multi-player“ at least in terms of more than one person per side concurrently.

It would take less than a day or two coding and then a few days doing up a decent GUI for someone to create a MP chat lobby using Smartfox Server and Flash, or Unity, or Runtime Revolution, since all those IDEs have pre-built MP chat frameworks pre-existing. Unity especially handles all the NAT punch throughs and firewall issues etc built in and Smartfox Server has a basic MP chat client example ready to go in about 15 minutes work.

Show a name, a chat area, a few "rooms", allow users to see and copy/paste their IP address, maybe throw in a username/password function (via a MySQL server and some basic PHP) etc. Sure, it's not inside the game and it wouldn't be super fancy but it'd function fine for what you need. Maybe someone in the community will?

It would take less than a day or two coding and then a few days doing up a decent GUI for someone to create a MP chat lobby using Smartfox Server and Flash, or Unity, or Runtime Revolution, since all those IDEs have pre-built MP chat frameworks pre-existing. Unity especially handles all the NAT punch throughs and firewall issues etc built in and Smartfox Server has a basic MP chat client example ready to go in about 15 minutes work.

Maybe you or the OP!

Personally, I despise those things. The chat is so overwhelming and inane that it makes it very hard to find a nice game.

I for one would have sacrificed some of the technical functionality in order to improve multi-player matchup mechanism.

In the meantime, I'll be looking around 'old school' style to get some matches in CMBB/CMAK and soon . . . CMBN.

I've already got some links (such as the Scenario Depot), and have made a couple of postings.

PS, I'm open for a match in CMBB/CMAK (latest version which I just bought from BF). That would be:

• PBEM
  • Optionally live 7PM+ Vancouver time
  • I'm a conscript
  • Small battles
  • Any side

I for one would have sacrificed some of the technical functionality in order to improve multi-player matchup mechanism.

In the meantime, I'll be looking around 'old school' style to get some matches in CMBB/CMAK and soon . . . CMBN.

I've already got some links (such as the Scenario Depot), and have made a couple of postings.

PS, I'm open for a match in CMBB/CMAK (latest version which I just bought from BF). That would be:

• PBEM
  • Optionally live 7PM+ Vancouver time
  • I'm a conscript
  • Small battles
  • Any side

When I get CMBN I'd be up for that sort of game. It'd be 10PM my time but I often have 60-90 minutes then while my wife watches some inane show and complains that I play inane games.

I purrchased a turn based game for my Android called Uniwar, which cost a couple of bucks. For multi-player, this game has:

- A game matching system where players start up games which you can join

- A win/lose points ladder

- A general chat area (ugh) as well as an in game chat area

- You can limit the maximum time allowed per turn (i.e. take a few minutes to a day or more to make your turn)

- Works via wi-fi

- You can play multiple games simultaneously

- Also has a solo mode

What I like about it is there's:

- No tcp address/ports/firewall to fiddle with

- No email or huge file attachments to fiddle with

- Direct game matching

- Lots of ready made opponents/games

- You can search/sort for the level/kind of game you'd like to join

The multi-player is just plain easy to use. Unfortunately for me, I got whacked.

game clubs seem a good solution to me, I know there are more then just my club http://webandofbrothers.yuku.com/directory

out there that support CM:BN after all...

here is a list of club links from the battlefront site:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=165&Itemid=23

I never have an issue finding a game or a tournament to participate in, and have had many familiar opponents for years now!