AAR-CMBN_Beta Quick Battle "US Human Vs German AI"

The screenshots on Page 6 are incredible. I especially love to see the physics of the ricochets. The shot that bounces off the Panther turret and lands over by the American machine gun is cool, but the coolest thing I've seen yet for CMBN is a shot penetrating a PzIV, shooting out the back, and hitting a second PzIV's weapon mount! Awesome!

Heh. Just the other day I had a Panther nail an M10. The shot went straight through its turret, and I saw a large secondary explosion happen 20 meters behind it. The round had gone straight through the first M10's turret and went on to hit another M10's turret (an M10 it hadn't even seen), while also setting off it's ammo.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given ND's close working relationship with BF staff, I will take his comment as confirmed. :)

Cool, it's good to know that so thanks for the heads up. I've seen a lot of posters with beta titles and other long term guys/posters that I vaguely recall from a long time ago as well but tbh I don't have exactly what I'd call a concrete knowledge of the BF CoC other than that Steve guy who seems to run the shop. :)

Press copies going out I would think would be a good thing regarding release timeframes though. :P

Please take comments on what is and is not available in QB's and Scen with a grain of salt. The very best info source is BFC.

For those of you who intend to play the QB vs AI: So do I. I designed the group setup, pathing orders, time, arty, movement types. Beta Testing has been fun. There are a couple of new design features that were not available in CMSF that have been well received. But I suppose the most important question might be, "will the AI Defender just sit on it's butt and wait to get creamed, like it did when CMSF was released?" The answer to that is no.

Just How Good is the CMBN QB AI? Still Not as capable as a human...and never will be. But the AI is capable of making a game of it... often a darn good game of it. So for those of you who like the QB vs AI battle: I wish you Joy and good hunting.

Right, one answer is that "at least" on the Press demo the only "trigger" avaliable

for scenario design is time. And I "second that" please ask BFC for further information

on scenario design couse I just put my hands on the press Beta and I've not dig

enought on the scenario design tool.

On the other question I'm playin Meeting Engagement QB and I think there are IA improvements

compared with CMx1, keep following the AAR and may be the IA will give us a surprise!

Thanks to the rest for your support, i'ts hard to do an AAR like this "If you have a life"

and I appreciate the compliments, thanks.

I´m trying to get very good Screenshots and follow every tank shot, ricochet, different

perspetives, personalize the AAR with unit names....

We'll see whats up with this tought ARMY guys....

Two questions raised in the original (Spanish) thread that I would like to repost here, in hopes of getting a response from BFC or the beta testers:

1) There are three pointers on the base circle around a selected unit. The middle one is obviously the facing of the unit. Is there any significance to the other two?

2) A Sherman got bogged/immobile in the scenario. A few questions regarding bogging:

Is there any way to tell the ground pressure rating of a vehicle like in CMx1?

Is there any way to help prevent bogging, other than staying on roads (ie: moving slower/faster, reversing if a bog happens, etc)?

Are you more likely to bog in a plowed field versus a grassy area, for instance? More likely to bog in a low spot than you are on higher ground?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some insight.

akira are those pics touched up? they look better than anything I have seen in video AARs before.

No, no, I'm playing on 1280x1024 and "3D model quality:Best"

All the arrows, lines and editions are photoshoped..

Thanks again for following..

Some crazy stuff going on in that fight. :)

Men, I encourage all to keep following the ARR. I'm really surprised about how

things are going, there are "caothic, crazy, reality" events goinig underway that are

"immersing" (I don't know if i'm using this word correctly) me totaly in to the fight...

I reenter the link http://www.puntadelanza.net/Foro/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12015

¿May be Battlefront could sticky it? ¿I'ts Matt the "ring holder"?

Man, the latest deeds of that Panther are something to behold. It withstands 11 impacts (of which a few penetrations) and keeps on firing as if nothing had happened?!? Not even a shocked crew that stops firing?

Business as usual? bug?

It's hard to say this is a bug or not from the AAR - we don't know what the state of the crew is - they may well be on the verge of panic but still firing. Also, we don't know the experience of the crew or the commander bonus - too many unknowns to say one way or the other, and too small a sample anyway.

Back at the start of the AAR, a Tiger got taken out from the front on by a 76mm lucky hit - if this happened every time, this would be a bug, but there is always a chance that a lucky shot could indeed KO it.

You've seen what happened to the Death Star in Star Wars, right? :P

... and too small a sample anyway.

True, that. We would need a few more cases like this to start worrying I guess.

One thing seems to be more or less clear form that AAR. Armour seems a bit more resilient to hits in general than in CMx1. Other tanks in that same AAR also withstood more than could be perceived as usual in the past.

One thing seems to be more or less clear form that AAR. Armour seems a bit more resilient to hits in general than in CMx1. Other tanks in that same AAR also withstood more than could be perceived as usual in the past.

Yeah, that's definitely true. The DAAR that Elvis and Bil did had an awful lot of ricochets going on.

It's been a while since I've played CMBB or CMAK, the last 4 years have been spent on the modern stuff in CMSF - I dare say this is going to come as quite a shock to me having got used to the 'one shot, one kill' armour battles using Abrams, Leopards and Challengers!

True, that. We would need a few more cases like this to start worrying I guess.

It always seemed to me that the Allies would be best off with Stuarts/M5 since the 37mm could kill the IV just as well as 75mm (at least when I was on the receiving end...), and fared no worse against Vs and VIs (spang!), and nothing short of a Churchill could hope to stand against the standard german AT weapons.

Quick note... the version being played by Akira is "ancient" compared to where the game is now. And not only that, but the QB Maps have all been updated several times to tweak various aspects of the AI Plans. Even more importantly, we just squashed a bug that hindered optimal allocation of AI forces to the AI Plans. While the AI is slated for some significant upgrades, even after that a Human is the best way to go if you want the ultimate in challenge. Otherwise, like CMx1 games, the AI puts up a good and entertaining fight with the occasional flashes of brilliance. Relative Spotting also makes it a lot less obvious what the AI is up to, which IMHO makes the AI look a lot "smarter" than it is while playing. After the game is over, and you see all the enemy's stuff and positions, you sometimes scratch your head :)

Steve

Man, the latest deeds of that Panther are something to behold. It withstands 11 impacts (of which a few penetrations) and keeps on firing as if nothing had happened? Not even a shocked crew that stops firing?

Business as usual? bug?

One other thing to note is that you really don't know the nature of a penetration. It can range anywhere from a shell going clear through the tank and out the other side, killing or maiming three guys in the process, to just barely penetrating the armor and having no real force left afterwards. So it's possible that the two penetrations on this Panther were more or less out of energy once they made it through the armor and/or in areas that didn't kill crew or severely damage equipment.

Back at the start of the AAR, a Tiger got taken out from the front on by a 76mm lucky hit - if this happened every time, this would be a bug, but there is always a chance that a lucky shot could indeed KO it.

Interestingly enough this is exactly the same reaction that was seen a few hours after the CMBO Beta demo was released. There was an outcry on the forum when the Hellcats crested the hill and knocked out the Tiger tank, from the front.

As it turned out this was no fluke, which you will see if you whip up a quick test scenario in, say, CMAK. Sherman 76´s, head on at 600 meters will give Tigers a very hard time usually knocking them out after two, three or four hits even sans "tungsten". A one shot kill is nothing extremely spectacular in this perspective.

/M

Interestingly enough this is exactly the same reaction that was seen a few hours after the CMBO Beta demo was released. There was an outcry on the forum when the Hellcats crested the hill and knocked out the Tiger tank, from the front.

As it turned out this was no fluke, which you will se if you whip up a quick test scenario in, say, CMAK. Sherman 76´s, head on at 600 meters will give Tigers a very hard time usually knocking them out after two, three or four hits even sans "tungsten". A one shot kill is nothing extremely spectacular in this perspective.

/M

Yep. The German heavies in 1944 aren't as invulnerable as some people seem to think they are.

Of course, they can still be real tough cats to kill.

Oh I know Tigers aren't invulnerable, what I meant was that if in every battle it only took one shot from a 76mm to the front to KO them every time, that could be considered a bug - you would expect some to bounce off, some to penetrate, some to immobilise, some to cause gun damage etc. Much in the same way that if every panther could survive exactly 11 hits without noticeable effect in every battle, this could also be an issue.

My earlier point was that this AAR is too small a sample size to base these things on, so the fate of these 2 tanks is not necessarily representative of anything except luck.

My experience in CMBB was always that my Tigers were made of cardboard and string whenever I had them, while the enemy's were invulnerable to all known explosives, but that may just be selective recall on my part.:D

To me this thread/AAR just shows me that anything can happen in combat and that one should never expect certain results to occur as some sort of hard coded fact. I'm no armour or hard core military sim guy who has penetration values memorized etc but in my line of work in RL assumptions can get you killed and I would expect combat in RL works similiar. Variety is the spice of life as they say. :P