A fresh video to hold us over!

Not sure about that. There was a Sgt Smith who took on three panthers and a bunch of infantry. He knocked out one of the Pathers with a PIAT from thirty feet or so, and drove off the infantry with his SMG. He got a VC.

There was also a Brit Captain at Arnhem who took on several tanks with a PIAT, killing at least one Tiger from very close range. Can't remember his name, but he also got the VC.

Both men survived too.

Robert Henry Cain.

Actually Jeremy Clarkson's father-in-law - brave man indeed.

Believe me, effective enemy AI artillery spotting has stopped my forces more than once. They can be so effective that scenario designers sometimes deliberately make life difficult for the FO in a effort to balance the game. Limit his field of vision, restrict the number of radios on the map, or restrict the amount of ammo available. If you wan to stage an infantry vs infantry fight you don't provide four FOs and 30 artillery tubes for one side.

Fair enough. I was just commenting on the above video and it looked like the AI arty spotting was just as bad as the early CMSF version. Glad to hear that it has been tuned up.

Oh, please let's not have this conversation again. There was a loooong thread about it already. ;)

Edit: I think the conversion was in the QB AAR stickied thread.

I remember a conversation concerning the German Mark IV gunners targeting M4 turrets instead of hulls as a result of AI tune-up. I wasn't aware something similar had been done for US gunners targeting Panthers, but I will take a look.

Well one wouldn't would one.

Ah those unassuming Brits.

A US Navy friend once dined with a distinguished older gent at his club in London and wondered why everyone stood when his companion entered the room. Seems he won the VC with the LRDG, although my friend had to ask someone else.

My dad also learned that an unassuming University classmate of his had put a bomb through the gate of Amiens prison and done the same trick to a Gestapo headquarters in Oslo without damaging the adjacent elementary school. That Mosquito squadron. Never told a soul. Dad learned later from another RAF vet.

Believe me, effective enemy AI artillery spotting has stopped my forces more than once. They can be so effective that scenario designers sometimes deliberately make life difficult for the FO in a effort to balance the game. Limit his field of vision, restrict the number of radios on the map, or restrict the amount of ammo available. If you wan to stage an infantry vs infantry fight you don't provide four FOs and 30 artillery tubes for one side.

God yes. AI-controlled artillery can be absolutely BRUTAL. Don't worry about the AI artillery's effectiveness. Well, worry about it, but in the "Oh God where did my platoon go" sense. :D

I was watching the video and I was amazed that a buttoned up tank was spotting infantry behind the Hedgrow with little difficulty... I could understand the tank firing if there was movement, or the infantry fired at the tank, but its not BFSForce where the tanks have Thermal sites?? Just a little concerned about ambushing Tanks.

I was watching the video and I was amazed that a buttoned up tank was spotting infantry behind the Hedgrow with little difficulty... I could understand the tank firing if there was movement, or the infantry fired at the tank, but its not BFSForce where the tanks have Thermal sites?? Just a little concerned about ambushing Tanks.

Yeah, I did wonder about that myself, especially the bit where the 2 schreck guys sneak around the building and the buttoned Sherman whips the turret around about 100 degrees to mow them down.

I thought that

a) they should be hard to spot given they were partially behind the tank

and

B) is there not a Sneak/Crawl command ? They really could have just peeked around the corner and been even harder to spot ?

Ran a few tests in CMSF and it was easy to run past the rear end of a T-72 and i was lead to believe the optics of the 70s were much better than the 40s so im also surprised about the spotting capabilities of said shermans.

Re spotting units behind a bocage hedge. I was involved in a play through of Barkmann's Corner at the Liverpool Preview. From what I saw then it is possible to spot such units but only if one's own unit is adjacent to the hedge and the enemy is directly or almost directly opposite. Any sort of oblique view of more than a few degrees either side is blocked. That behaviour seemed perfectly reasonable and realistic to me, defending infantry certainly got the drop on our Shermans on several occasions.