Ambient sounds and sound of orders

I don't think this topic has been addressed recently in the various previews.

What are the ambient sounds of the French countryside like at set up time in CMBN?

I seem to remember there was a old discussion about the sound of birds being wrong in the original CMBO.

In addition are the shouted orders given by the NCOs, etc still using the old CMBO sound files? I really liked the "come back, you cowards" one. Looking forward to hearing it this time in CMBN.

Dan

I particularly like little pastoral touches like ambient noise of the flies and locusts buzzing occasionally in the pastures (or around corpses). Ambient bird sounds are great -- but often in games they're overdone. Once a battle starts, birds would fly off and not be sitting around chirping on a battlefield. Would be nice if we could have some of those.

In addition are the shouted orders given by the NCOs, etc still using the old CMBO sound files? I really liked the "come back, you cowards" one. Looking forward to hearing it this time in CMBN.

Dan

Well seeing as a lot of the CMSF files seem to be CMx1 files I think it has a good chance

I have a fair number of German voice files (including ones from CMBB) I plan to mod into CMBN.

Not that I'm German, and not that I'm fluent in German conversationally, but if only I had decent recording device and an empty field to spend a couple hours in on a windless spring morning...

Although the sound of flies around corpses as B56 says would be a nice touch.

But only when the camera is down there near some corpses. I just don't wanna listen to flies buzzing around all battle long.

Wait a minute, I just got a brilliant idea, if they do in fact include flies buzzing around corpses. Then the deluxe CMBN version should include a flyswatter. Damn thats pure genius! :D

I remember playing "Full Spectrum Warrior", last summer and being really annoyed by a fly, everytime my squad got close to a particular alley intersection this bloody nuisance would start buzzing around. It was only after 20mins plus of cursing that I noticed the dead animal in the scenario my wife's withering look was priceless! I disliked the birdsong in CMBO, especially during a preparatory barrage so wrong, unless they were the fabled Normany composite armoured Duck.

Could I take this opportunity of asking for the ability to turn the ambient sounds off. We had this in Cmx1 but it was lost in CMSF. I maybe in a minority of one, but whilst I found the bird song, random thumps of artillery and rattles of small arms fire charming to start with they soon became irritating.

"And No Birds Sang", the title of Farley Mowatt's frontline memoir (Sicily/Italy). SLA Marshall spoke of the eerie silence and deserted look of the Normandy front line (second hand accounts mostly, but no reason to believe he was misinformed). He also noted that unlike most other nations the Americans tended to fight and kill in silence. No idea if that's true though.

As for the cussing, ISTR actual WWII vets found the moderately salty language in BOB a bit unrealistic. People were brung up different back then and didn't grow up on potty mouth media either. Not that you wouldnt get the odd profane oath (exclamation) but you wouldn't hear as much "adjectivizing".

The Duke would simply have said "I am sick and tired of these snakes on this plane!" In RL, he might have prefaced the statement with "Hell" or "Dammit" which were truly cusswords back then.