Full Replay of a combat?

Hello all,

sorry about my bad english at first ...

At first i love the combat mission shock force series - it is the best strategie series i know and it is real tactical warfare :)

The question i have is it possible (in the combat mission normandy) to record and save a complete combat so i can see it again and again?

The other question is when is it done? :) :) :) :) I need it i loke the wwii scenario and with this engine yeah!!

With best regards from Germany

Kelzhat

If you have something like Fraps and you know what you want to record, you can record each WEGO replay per turn and then link them together yourself. You can of course also record RT but if you make a mistake you can't rewind and record it again.

However that replay will only be of what you recorded (you can't suddenly decide that you want to see what happened "over there" or from a different angle because it wont have been recorded to begin with).

So that will record some of the action, but no there is no built in feature planned to record every second from every possible angle.

Many thanks for your replays - what is the reason that there is no record/ save funktion in the game like the total war series? It is so hard to programm?

I am only guessing here, but I think that the file structure of the turn replay files was not designed with linking them in mind. This means that it could be a major effort to create a new file format which allows for continuous replay.

But I think closer to the truth is the assumption that this feature is simply not high enough on the list of things to implement.

Best regards,

Thomm

Yes given that small PBEM files are about 10Mb per minute (i.e a turn) then a 2 hour game becomes pretty big.

Yes you can strip out some of that but to do so would require programming effort and that is a finite resource.

So if you work on this something else doesn't get done and so far a lot of other stuff is assessed as being more important.

http://www.fraps.com/

Its a utility that lets you capture screenshots and video (and sound) from a running application.

Whilst this will give you a video if the replay, it will only give you what you saw on the screen.

So if you have say left and right platoons and you stay with the left platoon with Fraps running that’s all you see.

Whereas in WEGO replay you can “rewind” and then see how the right platoon went during the same time.

Man! How big would the file be on a full battle replay?

Well dare I say - It all depends. :)

Smallish battle (say 2 PL each side) = roughly 10Mb per turn during periods of moderate activity.

So for a longish battle (say 2hrs) that means:

120 x 10Mb = 1.2Gb if your do the 1024 = 1000 rounding

More forces, more activity, longer duration = Bigger file sizes

Yes given that small PBEM files are about 10Mb per minute (i.e a turn) then a 2 hour game becomes pretty big.

With the solution i suggested this is not the case.

All that is needed, is a frontend playback-module, that loads the CM-game silently in the background and that it displays the available replay-files, like a media-player.

Since CM doesn't make use of multi-core processors, the player-frontend maybe even could be programmed that way, that it loads another instance of CM with another CPU core, and therefore making almost uninterrupted replay possible.

Sure but that assumes "they" do the coding.

I was just suggesting the Fraps option so the OP could have a solution "now"

I also wanted to avoid either:

a. The apparently terse option of asking people to use search and read the earlier threads or

b. Retyping those said earlier threads.

:)

From the perspective of marketing the game to a wider audience this is a loss for Battlefront.

Posting up videos of battle engagements from the new game here and on YouTube would reach a wider audience.

I'm certain that once development reaches a certain point (and no I don't know how far away that is :)) BFC will create their own marketing "tease" videos.

After that I believe it will be up to individuals to create their own (as they have been doing to date with the earlier products).