Campaign Generator?

Hello CM community. I've been away from CM for quite some time now. I remember the work on the CM campaign, and I'm sad to see this never panned out. I did notice the CMx2 thread. Very interesting. This was a hot topic a few years ago. Nice to see it coming to fruition. I understand now what the SF platform was used for. Make money while testing ideas. Good move Battlefront. Question:

I thought I read somewhere on the CMx2 overview that there was going to be a campaign generator / editor. Is there any news on this. I really enjoyed the randome map / random battle option for the previous CM modules. Any information or a link would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

I'll tackle the random map question first.

The current terrain is too detailed for a randomly generated map to come out good. There are plans to get something together using pre-made tiles to make random maps, much like the maps of X-COM. But I wouldn't expect that to happen any time soon. Definitely not for this game.

Campaigns... erm... if I so much as mention them again I will receive abuse. So I won't. Most recent discussion along those lines:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=94794

Long and the short of it: Nothing major any time soon, and things aren't looking great on the long term neither.

There's a Scenario Editor included in the game if that's what you meant. There are also Quick Battles that can be played on pre-made maps that will ship with the game so you can have your random battles as you did before, but no randomly generated map. But no Campaign generator unfortunately. Quick Campaigns would be a desirable feature for me.

can you build custom maps that the quick battle generator can use to build data base of maps to randomly use?

Absolutely! It just takes a lot more work than it does in CMx1, if I understand correctly. The reason is that the maps are much more detailed, leading to a richer experience, but also one that is harder to create.

Yes; I've only noodled with the map editor, but it definitely takes a lot more time and effort to make a CMx2 map than a CMx1 map. On the plus side, you can do a lot more and the maps look a lot better.

It is also worth noting that every time a new scenario is released (either by the scenario community or by BFC in a module), the associated map can also be used as a QB map. So the number of available maps will definitely increase over time. I suspect that within a year or so of release, there will be more bocage available in CMBN, than there actually was in Normandy in 1944...

Yeah, there's all sorts of tools I'd like to see added to the map editor eventually. Cut-and-Paste type commands to copy and move sections around maps, or insert a section of one map into another, would be great. The ability to stitch together smaller maps into a bigger one, or split a large map into smaller ones, would also be fun.

Right now, I think BFC's resources are mostly focused elsewhere. But I do hope that there's some time for improvements like this, eventually.

This is good news at least. I remember that in CMx1 the community was largely involved with new skins and what not. I would deffinitely put some time into making maps.

thanks for the info. I hope to get the full CM shock force bundle some time soon, and play around with that. i did play a few of the demo scenarios. good to see that the syrians have a bit more bite.

...or split a large map into smaller ones, would also be fun...

This one at least can already be done, I'm pretty sure. Build your full-size map under one save file, change the map's dimensions until you've cut out everything on the map except the specific section you want, and then save it as a different file. You'll still have the original plus the small section.

The biggest thing the editor needs IMO - and probably also the hardest to implement - is a cut-and-paste feature.

Yeah; I know. It's doable, but kinda clunky. I was thinking more of a full-out cut-and-paste, where I could just outline a section of a map with a selection tool, hit Ctrl-C, and then past the section it, either somewhere else on the same map, or into another map entirely.

But yeah, I'm sure fully functional cut-and-paste would require a good chunk of coding time. Sure would speed up map creation, tho.

Sorry I was in class the last time I posted. To be clear: I can create as many maps as I want with victory conditions etc.,

Yes. :)

and the quick battle generator has the ability to pull these maps along with the stock maps randomly?

Not automatically. I've never made QB maps, but IIRC you do actually have to do some work to make them suitable for QBs. It's a lot less work than making a whole new map though! :D

Ask MarkEzra for the specifics, he's the God of QBs. ;)

Map editor in CMSF is awesome IMO , in fact i tend to make more maps than play its that enjoyable :) I find small battles with just a handful of troops and no vehicles help me understand the game engine and how to use it. Really looking forward to CMBN editor , mostly because of the Normandy terrain ... sooooo bored of the CMSF desert.

right ~ i feel your pain there. i'm hoping that with a stable platform after CMx2 comes out that they will begin to make expansions for both CMSF and CMx2 that branch out into different theaters. i know i read a post that said something along the lines of CMSFx2 using chinese / north korea vs. blue. that would be great.

WHEN IS SOMEONE GOING TO USE THIS ENGINE TO MAKE A VIETNAM EXPANSION!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?