Campaign Generator?

I agree, an urban fight is an urban fight. Considering that it would involve similar squad weapons as in CMSF (AK's and M1/M4/M16's?) but lose the automatic grenade throwers etc. it would be a question of modding the buildings and uniforms.

Maybe a large mod and carefully designed scenarios is what you want?

But, when one thinks Vietnam, one thinks of dense jungle and airborne insertions and gunships. Am not convinced that jungle war makes for such a good tactical game.

I think it would be interesting to create map sets and see what the community creates as far as the terrain goes. i know there were various things like rice paddies and what not. a mod would be the way to go i think. unfortunately i can't mod worth a damn lol. however, if someone made the map stuff, i'd be more than happy to try to make some interesting nam maps. hide and seek might be interesting as well. i know in some of my old combat missionx1 maps there were heavy woods. you could either go around them or go through them depending on how you felt as a tactician.

don't know - i don't have any beta version of CMx2 =).

i haven't looked in the CMSF editor to see what they have as far as tile sets. i was just thinking if someone could make a tile set for nam release it to the community and let them build the maps. easier to spread the work around that way.

then there's modding the infantry, vees, and support - that would be a whole other bag of tricks. i'm assuming you could attach the vee code to different skins for the most part. i.e. use the BMP object but put a nam vehicle skin to it. don't know - never tore anything apart to mod it as i'm horrible with graphics.

The problem with trying to model a radically different environment using CMSF editor is the hardcoded cover and visibility values associated with different terrain tiles. The CMSF version of dense woods is meant to simulate the densest woods you get an extremely arid environment. I'm not even certain that works for some of the more heavily irrigated parts of Afghanistan, I am absolutely certain he will not make good jungle.