CM:BN Preview question?

It also requires the host to spend his time wandering around with the camera (and effectively no longer conduct the activity) and then uploading it, etc.

A bit much for someone already volunteering to do this in their spare time don’t you think?

I’ve already said I’m happy to let people login to the PC and “watch” but that’s it.

If the time zone is convenient, great, if not, sorry.

We'll have several BFC-y folks at our preview - we may be able to swing it, at least for a segment of the proceedings. I do think it would be a lot to ask of a solo previewer, though, especially after they took the time to set up and conduct the preview.

Well no one has mentioned NDAs.

However without wanting to appear to be a “stick in the mud”, the streaming web cast idea has some issues.

1. Who pays for the charges to upload the data? (even if someone has a generous Internet plan uploading this will cut into it).

2. Who pays to host it or its it just a “live” event?

3. If its “live” then you still have the time zone issue although admittedly it makes it easier for say someone in Florida to watch something in Chicago.

4. Are you willing to watch say 4+ hours of this rambling type activity (this is not a rehearsed polished presentation but probably a bunch of people saying “show us “this" and the host showing it).

Certainly the people who do drive / fly a long way to attend in person are probably going to want more than some 30min summary trimmed to suit the “web audience‘s” attention span.

5. Finally the logistics of capturing it on video and then converting it as most web cams wont give you the view you want and a lot will be built into the laptops etc so all they will show is the view looking “out” from the screen, not the view “in” (i.e. what the audience is seeing).

Yes, if you are in a studio or you have support staff and its rehearsed and checked and you have the infrastructure, its a great idea.

On the fly, not so much. :)

I'm imagining:

a) We'll capture about five-ten minutes of the presentation - the main "here's what it looks like and here are the absolute basics in what's different" bit before everybody starts playing.

B) Editing will likely be minimal.

c) We'll release it when and if it's cleared by BFC.

No bandwidth issues, no NDA issues. Everybody (potentially) gets to see some of Normandy, but the guys who made the drive / flight / whatever get the full experience. That's just my thoughts for how it would happen, but it's the most logical outcome.

If it was recorded, I would not expect to see the whole event.

I would also except that it would take a few days to edit it. No rush.

May be this could be an added sales tool?

And who is going to do that without diverting someone who is currently working on CM:BN with the resulting additional delay imposed?

I like the idea of a beta demo for us. All the talk of the old beta "Chance Encounter" and "Last Defense" really rubs me the right way with the absolute understanding that it is a BETA DEMO and does not reflect the final product. Think of all the bugs we could squish together!

And think of the whinging. :)

Seriously I very much doubt that “all inclusive“ approach would work.

You’d also then have issues with the ongoing beta development and making sure people were abreast of what had or had not been fixed since the “demo” came out.

It also goes against BFC’s track record of getting a pretty much final product out the door.

I'm imagining:

a) We'll capture about five-ten minutes of the presentation - the main "here's what it looks like and here are the absolute basics in what's different" bit before everybody starts playing.

B) Editing will likely be minimal.

c) We'll release it when and if it's cleared by BFC.

No bandwidth issues, no NDA issues. Everybody (potentially) gets to see some of Normandy, but the guys who made the drive / flight / whatever get the full experience. That's just my thoughts for how it would happen, but it's the most logical outcome.

Great so I don’t need to worry about it.

Not that I was going to edit or upload anything.

If people were up/ there when it was on they’d see it, if not to bad (in a nice way) and there wasn’t going to be any “edited highlights” so if we went to lunch there would be nothing happening for an hour or two, etc.

And think of the whinging. :)

Seriously I very much doubt that “all inclusive“ approach would work.

You’d also then have issues with the ongoing beta development and making sure people were abreast of what had or had not been fixed since the “demo” came out.

It also goes against BFC’s track record of getting a pretty much final product out the door.

1. Whinging (sp).......Who cares? We do that anyway. Deal with it I say. If you cant take whining then wargamming forums should be avoided!

2. Just one page or thread to address whats been "fixed" will take care of the 2nd problem.

3. Think of how happy it would make all of us not privy to the build right now. If I remember correctly, NOTHING got our mouths frothing like the beta demo for CMBO.

OK, I will mention the NDAs.

Will they apply for the preview? Will we get to see the new and exciting things like the interface during these get togethers? Can we post these on the net?

I am assuming that previews will also fall under the NDAs. If not, then I would prefer to have BF release a bullet point guide to what we are seeing new. It would avoid a little confusion and 50 new posts on what we are seeing.

OK, I will mention the NDAs.

Will they apply for the preview? Will we get to see the new and exciting things like the interface during these get togethers? Can we post these on the net?

I am assuming that previews will also fall under the NDAs. If not, then I would prefer to have BF release a bullet point guide to what we are seeing new. It would avoid a little confusion and 50 new posts on what we are seeing.

Well I’ll ask but hopefully the answer wont disappoint.

1. Whinging (sp).......Who cares? We do that anyway. Deal with it I say.

Absolutely so “you“ (generically - not personally :)) are going to complain regardless so why bother with the extra work. :)

So you get to “deal with it” instead of “us”. :)

If I remember correctly, NOTHING got our mouths frothing like the beta demo for CMBO.

Sure but the Beta Demo for CM:BO didn’t have any sort of user input to “fix” this or “that”.

It was just that a pre release demo.

No doubt there will be the same thing for CM:BN (since there has been one for every other CM:SF title).

But anyway I‘m just an instrument of policy, thankfully I don’t make it.