Hope this helps:

AMMO TYPES EXPLAINED #11 [-]

General

(16-09-10 08:05:20)

ReplyQuoteEditMore

My Recent Posts From BFC forums:

Ammo and corresponding weapons data

Pistol rounds

Used in SMGs and handguns, not acquirable. Makorov PM is 9x18mm, M9 is 9x19mm, PPSH submachinegun is 7.62x25mm.

Intermediate rifle rounds

Intermediate rifle rounds are smaller/cut down rounds for assault rifles. They offer light weight, lighter weapons, and often lower recoil when compared to full size rifle rounds. Effective range is generally 500m or less and penetrating power is low.

5.56x45mm

Standard NATO round for assault rifles. In CMSF 5.56 is abstracted as belted and magazines, so can be used as magazines for rifles and 200 round belts for the M249/Minimi. Used by:

-M4/M16A4/C7/C8/M16A1

-L85A2/L86A2/L22A2

-G36

-MG4

-M249/L110/C9/MINIMI

7.62x39mm

Older Russian assault rifle round. Abstracted as magazines and belts. Listed as just “7.62mm” in Syrian vehicles.

Used by:

-AKM/AKMS/RPK(-47)/Type 56

-RPD

5.45x39mm

Newer Russian assault rifle round. Magazines only.

Used by:

-AK-74/AKS-74/AKS-74U/RPK-74

Rifle rounds

Full size rifle rounds. In many armies these are found primarily in medium machineguns and Designated Marksman's Rifles (DMRs) and sniper rifles. Effective range can often be around 1,000m.

7.62x51mm

Standard NATO round. Can only be aquried as belted ammo for machineguns*, you cannot aquire more ammo for rifles. Listed as just “7.62” in BLUFOR/NATO vehicles.

Used by:

-M110/Mk11

-M40A3

-M240/MAG/C6/L7A2 *

-MG3*

-L96

-C3A1

-AR-10

-FAL

-G3

7.62x54R

Standard Russian rifle round. R stands for “rimmed”. Cannot be acquired in CMSF, however can be found in vehicles in CMA as belted ammo only*.

Used by:

-SVD

-PK*

-SGM*

-RP-46

Special rifle rounds, not acquirable:

.300 WM .300 Winchester Magnum, “sniping” round 1300-1500m effective range based on round used.

-G22

.303 old British round.

-Bren

-SMLE Mk. III

.338 LM Lapua Magnum, “sniping” round. 1,800m effective range.

-L115A1

-C14

-AWSM-F

(Note this latter ammo cannot be replenished in the game.)

Mh ok but look at that pic - where is his ammo located ? The first bar is 5,56mm ammo - for his spotter ? So where is his ammo and how am i supposed to know when hes empty ?

17149,t1jpgPWSDG.jpg

Um no.

The first bar is small arms (so that’s 5.56, 7.62, 12.5/0.50”, etc.)

The second bar (with the linked ammunition) is for MG ammunition (again 5.56, 7.62, 12.5/0.50”, etc.)

cf Page 46 of the CMSF Manual.

That maybe the source of your confusion?

Um no.

The second bar (with the linked ammunition) is for MG ammunition (again 5.56, 7.62, 12.5/0.50”, etc.)

Are you sure?, when Syrian troops load up on AKM ammunition the second bar is filled. In my experience the first bar is 5.56 (and the Syrian equivalent) and the second bar is 7.62.

Um no.

This is incorrect. Special sniper ammunition like .338 Lapua, appears shows in the second column. However, for example, a Brit L115 team shows just a single bar of ammo with their starting ammo, which goes fast, and I believe they continue firing for some time after the last bar of ammo disappears, which can cause confusion. I think there is a minimum ammo count to show a single bar in a column, so some units with only small amounts of sniper ammo to begin with show both columns empty, e.g. the lone SVD sniper in the Syrian Combatant OB only shows ammo in his grenade column. The only way to know they are truly empty is when the sniper stops firing altogether when given a target order.

Only 5.56mm, 5.45mm and pistol (9mm?) ammo goes in the first bar. All other non-grenade ammo goes in the second bar. It works ok as a graphical quick reference for ammo supply for Western forces, as you have all your rifle and LMG ammo in one bar and then either a single type of MG or sniper ammo in the other, but with Syrian forces you could have a mix of AKMs, AK-74s, sniper rifles and MGs in the same unit, with multipe types of ammo in the second bar and your overal assault rifle ammo split between the first and second bars.

Yes, Alan is correct. ALL 7.62 etc. ammo is indicated in the 2nd bar.

This is particularly noticeable when you play the Reds (or Soviets in CMA) as the 7.62x39 as well as the 7.62x54 go in the 2nd bar and it's confusing to know if there is an abstraction at work and in fact ANY 7.62 ammo is used by all rifles and MG's taking "7.62mm" and you really don't have to worry about the x39 and x54 variants (or whether it's rifle or MG ammo).

AFAIK this is yet another example of a rather vital bit of info that is NOT in the manual. I suspect that it's a bit of a trick played on us to disguise the fact that the CM2 system is less of an accurate simulation than a (very good) game full of abstractions.

Yes, Alan is correct. ALL 7.62 etc. ammo is indicated in the 2nd bar.

This is particularly noticeable when you play the Reds (or Soviets in CMA) as the 7.62x39 as well as the 7.62x54 go in the 2nd bar and it's confusing to know if there is an abstraction at work and in fact ANY 7.62 ammo is used by all rifles and MG's taking "7.62mm" and you really don't have to worry about the x39 and x54 variants (or whether it's rifle or MG ammo).

I don't believe that Battlefront would do this given that 7.62x54 is completely different ammo from 7.62x39. Even though they show up in the same bar it would be completely unrealistic to abstract it together to allow an AKM to fire 7.62x54. 5.56mm however, whether belted or in magazines, is the same round that can be fired from either an M256 or M4, so it isn't that bad to abstract it together IMO. I don't know if 7.62x39 unlinked ammo is abstracted with belted 7.62x39, used in the RPD, but I would assume it is.

The impression I've gotten (from playing the game) is that the left-most ammo bar indicates "light" ammo and the second-from-the-left ammo bar indicates "medium" ammo. The actual caliber of "light" depends on the weapon carried by the squad/team; likewise with "medium". Sometimes the "medium" ammo doesn't even show up in the bar.

Only 5.56mm, 5.45mm and pistol (9mm?) ammo goes in the first bar. All other non-grenade ammo goes in the second bar. It works ok as a graphical quick reference for ammo supply for Western forces, as you have all your rifle and LMG ammo in one bar and then either a single type of MG or sniper ammo in the other, but with Syrian forces you could have a mix of AKMs, AK-74s, sniper rifles and MGs in the same unit, with multipe types of ammo in the second bar and your overal assault rifle ammo split between the first and second bars.

I believe the Syrian units equipped with mixed 5.45 and 7.62x39 weapons were corrected in the last patch to have one or the other caliber, not both.

Am playing a (CMA) scenario where the squads have SVD rifles, but according to the ammo bar, no 7.62 ammo (that's what it takes right?) of any variety. I think the SVD takes 7.62x54, so b4 starting the scenario I had to replenish its ammo.

Is this an overlooked error or...?

Have to admit, again 'modern' not being my thing, I get quite confused when I hit 'acquire' and a shed load of ammo types come up. 90% of the time I just hit the max of 7.62 (German/NATO). I'm not 100% sure whether that's correct or not, or indeed what, if anything, they drop to carry it. Maybe they just cannot run so fast?? Only difference for me is if I want the ATGMs. Got caught out on that one once too as I did not realise I had acquire the launcher and then the rounds. Quite why they'd take an empty launcher I'm not sure. maybe I'll go check the manual again about this.

Apache: AFAIK, the issues you describe are frustrating a lot of people. Not sure if it's a bug, or simply a weird/poor design choice. It just adds complexity without any gameplay value (that I can discern). I think it's all in an effort to "look" like an accurate simulation when it's really primarily an entertainment game.

Besides that its a pain in the a.. first to split a squad into half, put them into the landrover, acquire the ammo, put them out, put the other half squad in and finally merge them.

I think resupply is a nice feature but the way its done is a failure in gamedesign.

It never bothered me, but I think that you hit onto something there. Would be better to have the resupply command that we could put in a chain of movement commands so we don't waist a minute of wego in the vehicle. And if it's frm something like a jeep they could just grab the boxes and go.