Any tips on how I should play CMSF?

HintJ

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect a lot more players than are willing to admit prefer playing WeGo because of their ability to replay-and replay-and replay a moment over and over until they've nailed down exactly where that rocket or that sniper shot came from. Sometimes referred to 'eye of God' gameplay because you are everywhere and see everything all at once. Yeh, I admit when I'm in a jam I'll resort to that - which is why I prefer Realtime. Playing Realtime keeps temptation away from me.

HintJ,

Sounds interesting how you play the game, but nothing for me. Perhaps if the rules were forced on me, I could enjoy it. But now I don't have discipline to enforce them on myself. When one of my vehicles is hit with an RPG, I let loose all I have, spotting be damned! :)

And since modern western troops have UAV's and the likes, zooming out isn't too unrealistisc imo.

...willing to admit prefer playing WeGo...

i really dont think so! its more like the game was not made to be played WEGO, so well there arent so many left that play it that way.

by the way, i think many RT players are in fact the "better WEGO´ers". they would never take 1 minute without pause, they are more a control freak then most WEGO players, including me.

no pun intended there, but i hate being called a control freak while i have to watch my guys do their thing for 1 minute without me being able to help them, while in RTwP gameplay i can pause every second as long as i want and micromanage the heck out of the game.

and dont bad mouth the lovely replay ;)

i love to watch the replays.

I suspect a lot more players than are willing to admit prefer playing WeGo because of their ability to replay-and replay-and replay a moment over and over until they've nailed down exactly where that rocket or that sniper shot came from. Sometimes referred to 'eye of God' gameplay because you are everywhere and see everything all at once. Yeh, I admit when I'm in a jam I'll resort to that - which is why I prefer Realtime. Playing Realtime keeps temptation away from me.

Play wego so I can see anything significant that happened with all units. And also those cool moments were the action is harcore or something novel happens. Great imersion

Nonsense :o)

It´s impossible to play a large engagement in RT without pausing all the time. Pausing a RT game destroys the whole point of playing RT IMO. RT is good if playing against another human because you can achieve actual surprise. Against the AI you´re just making the game more difficult for yourself since you can´t surprise the AI because it´s scripted.

Anywho PBEM is the best way to play CM and you can´t play PBEM in RT can you now? ;O)

If I played RT with no pauses the way I play the game, an eight-year-old girl would stomp my ass into the dirt!

On a side note, I've suceeded in creating a sticky selection! YES! I CANNOT DE-SELECT ANY UNIT ONCE I SELECT ONE!

I'm currently playing the original campaign and my commander is in a big dust/smoke cloud, and I can't select or see or click any unit whatsoever except the commander!

I suggest getting a mouse with as many programable buttons as possible. Mine has 8. I have the buttons set for camera controls, and cycle through units. Second invest in a Notromo speedpad, or equivilent. Both will increase your speed, and ease of command and control for not only this game, but most any game. With turn base it speed is not critical. Lots of times I use spacebar commands, and my mouse commands.

I play with a checkbook at my side. Every time I launch a Javelin, I send $40,000 to Lockheed Martin.

Wow!

Here's an idea: Before you play a game, figure a value for each unit. For example, in U.S. Dollars, maybe $3 for an Abrams, $1.50 per Bradley, $1 per Stryker, and maybe $0.25 per each soldier, or however you feel appropriate.

Then, after each game, figure the total Dollar amount of lost men and vehicles, and donate that amount to a game developer you want to support. In that way, you feel more involved by your losses in the game, kind of like the way a sports fan bets on sports--the money makes him feel more involved.

Another way would be to keep a 9-volt battery nearby while playing, and whenever one of your guys get wounded (you see that red cross), you could stick the battery on your tongue and get shocked!

Wow!

Here's an idea: Before you play a game, figure a value for each unit. For example, in U.S. Dollars, maybe $3 for an Abrams, $1.50 per Bradley, $1 per Stryker, and maybe $0.25 per each soldier, or however you feel appropriate.

Then, after each game, figure the total Dollar amount of lost men and vehicles, and donate that amount to a game developer you want to support. In that way, you feel more involved by your losses in the game, kind of like the way a sports fan bets on sports--the money makes him feel more involved.

Another way would be to keep a 9-volt battery nearby while playing, and whenever one of your guys get wounded (you see that red cross), you could stick the battery on your tongue and get shocked!

If I did that I would end up playing so conservatively that every scenario would need a 10 hour time limit for me to inch along.

maybe someone should approach BFC with the $$$ idea. they could invent a "insert coin here" box that needs you to insert coins every time you take casualties or material loss in order for you to continue playing, when it is full you have to send it to BFC and they return it empty.

maybe this way we can finance the CMx2 east front games with "only" 2 base games and 3 modules per game. ah well, i am dreaming again.

I've sometimes wondered what it would be like to see the military budget cost for a CMSF engagement. It has to be astronomical. I won't pay enough taxes in my lifetime to cover the ammo and fuel for an Abrams in theater, let alone pay for the tank itself.

I haven't read all the replies so somebody probably has already brought this up but I use Fix, and Frag...or Fix, Flank and Frag depending on the situation. I believe in the concept of superior gross over kill when it comes to preserving my men, so I try and always make sure they have some good over watch backing them up.

Also, recon by fire...after a while you'll get an instinct for it. It served me well in a PBEM I played recently. And a couple times when I ignored my gut, it cost me.

Also if you've got the time, and not much cover or are bogged down, artillery/mortars/air support are handy in taking out pesky punks that are making your life miserable...at least as Blue. I'll spend the extra turns waiting if it's the difference between slowing down my attack or having a bunch of my guys chewed up.

And there's the classic combined arms where your infantry and armor/IFVs move in support of each other...( I am sure that's been mentioned)...It works well. Not always but it's a very good tactic.

Mord.

I suggest getting a mouse with as many programable buttons as possible. Mine has 8. I have the buttons set for camera controls, and cycle through units. Second invest in a Notromo speedpad, or equivilent. Both will increase your speed, and ease of command and control for not only this game, but most any game. With turn base it speed is not critical. Lots of times I use spacebar commands, and my mouse commands.

I've got a Logitech anywhere mouse. My opinion is that Logitech has some very elegant products, but their drivers/software generally suck, so I just use the generic windows drivers.

8 Buttons! Man that seems like a great idea.

What kind is it, and what utility do you use to program it?

Re costing money for casualties etc. to provide realism... You could divide the real cost by (say) 1000, or 10,000 - whatever is reasonable. So, a WIA would cost (say) $1, KIA $2, with a tank damage costing (say) $10 and KIA $100.

The multimillionaires here can of course up those costs till they hurt. :)

Re costing money for casualties etc. to provide realism... You could divide the real cost by (say) 1000, or 10,000 - whatever is reasonable. So, a WIA would cost (say) $1, KIA $2, with a tank damage costing (say) $10 and KIA $100.

The multimillionaires here can of course up those costs till they hurt. :)

Maybe everyone would start playing as Syrians. I imagine you can get quite a few T-62's for the price of one Abrams.

I've got a Logitech anywhere mouse. My opinion is that Logitech has some very elegant products, but their drivers/software generally suck, so I just use the generic windows drivers.

8 Buttons! Man that seems like a great idea.

What kind is it, and what utility do you use to program it?

HintJ, I have a Logitech MX Revolution, and I use the Logitech software SetPoint to program buttons. Absolutly the best mouse I have ever had! Makes controling games so much easier. The Nostromo is great too, but I find I don't use it as much for CMSF. I usually play it turn base as I find the GUI awkward for RTS play. RTS is where you really benifit from Nostromo speedpad. Very quick , comfortable platform for control when commanding needs more speed. I have mine rigged to strap to my leg so I can kick my feet up and play.

I suppose the reason CMSF feel a bit awkard RTS is because it controls SO much different than other RTS games in that most games have left click select, and right click execute as general way of controling units. This difference makes it more awkward to go back and forth playing the two games RTS. TOW feels much more natural for RTS play with its more classic RTS GUI. TOW could have the most perfect GUI with a bit more tweaking. I have a GUI design posted in TOW3 forum. Check it out, some good stuff if i do say so myself.