So whats up with the sound?

Ok you know what im actually quite drunk as im writing this tho ive been meaning to ask it for a while. in fact ive got quite a few questions about the cmx2 series but as ive had a few stella's ill try and remember em.

Anuyways here goes,

firstly, whats with the gunfire sounds in cm? they sound way to 'light' and high pitched. the SA80 sounds like an air rifle shot sped up. Come to think of it so do the engine sounds. The Challenger 2 sounds suspiciously like a washing machine. I cant comment on foreign tanks (yes im English) as Ive never seen them in real life befiore but I have seen a Challenger 2 actually moving and it sounded nothing like it does in the game. I think what has sparked this off is I got NATO and the MG42 (or the MG3 or whatever) sounds nothing like I have ever heard in any game/movie ever. its sounds like a dull thutt-thutt-thutt noise. Like a fart in the wind. Listening to the sound file thingy its a single shot and it sounds ok. I think there must be something in the way the game handles the sound files as it seems to make sounds - in particular the automatic guns - sound really tinny. like all the bass and mid is removed and just the clicking tapping squeaking noise is left over. Before anyone thinks it may be my comp ive had the sound thru my mother board and since upgraded to an ASUS XONAR ST hi-def sound card plus youtube clips of the game sound the same. Even sound mods dont seem to resolve it. the cmx1 series sounded sick - all those bullets flying across the map with some nice fat gunshot noises. oh yes.

anyways, what was my other point? oh yeah, whats with the draw distance? is this something thats gna be imnproved in later versions of cm? its kinda bum when the graphics turn into playstation 1 style because I skipped back a few seconds in the replay or too many bullets are flying about for the comp to handle it. cant BFC make it an option to FORCE the game to increase the draw distance for those of us who dont have PC's from 2003? Im not gna start preaching about business strategy as BFC is NOT my company but surely immersion is something that sells the game to the wider audience outside the die-hards who haunt sites like this forum or FGM and all that? no offence to those poeple btw, far from it, those die hards are the fanbase core that keep this game what it is and im glad to be part of it but im just talking more in general.

since that last paragraph ive had two more cans and have completely forgotten my third point. maybew there was 4 points. im sur ill think of em while im in bed later and if the urge takes me ill get up and start another thread. Anyways as its 11.30pm im guessing the Yankee and Canadian cousins will be reading this around tea time (or dinner time or whatever you chaps call it) and thinking 'yes roadiemullet raises quite the valid point there I dare say I shall write a response'. You may be thinking that you too should drink some cans of booze and ask a few questions. anyway im going off topic here and i cannot be bothered/see to read what i have written so far so I think im gna go lay down n go to sleep. I can see quite a few red squigly lines which means i must have mistyped some words but i dont care. I should have written this while sober but its halloween weekend and ive just been paid plus it was a friends 30th so ive been forced in to getting leathered. of course ive forced myself but thats beside the point. Anyways, thanks for readinfg my drunken shizzle catch you all tomorrow.

Could the "weapon sounds are too light and high-pitched" problem be because the player's camera is at UAV height rather than eyebrow level? To my ear, weapons of all sorts sound different—similar to how I'd expected they'd sound from a distance—when heard from high above the map or from the opposite side of the map than when you have the camera hovering over the shooter's shoulder. To my ear, CM:SF's sound modelling is more sophisticated than one might expect from a game "with 1999-era graphics", though not as detailed as, say, some big-budget FPS-type games. Just the sound delay of distant explosions and gunfire—if you have the camera at eyebrow level, you hear the snap of an SVD's bullet before you hear the bang from its muzzle—is of greater verisimilitude than a lot of games. Not that I've ever been in combat or spent any time around military-grade firearms, but as I understand it, distant small-arms fire can sound not unlike a whole lot of firecrackers going off.

The sound that disappoints me the most is the Ma Deuce. The in game sound really needs an upgrade

One of the Red Force assault rifles sounds like they are banging a bamboo stick or something. I'm not exactly sure which one it is but it's really weak.

I'm really hoping that BFC will take a hard look at their sounds for when Normandy comes out. I want to play CM Normandy with the thundering sounds of battle echoing off my walls!!