Wondering about buildings in CM Normandy

Mord

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys. I think you should know that something is being prepared for you and that your questions about the WW2 title are not being ignored. Give them a few more days and I'm sure that all your questions will be answered. ;)

Given that the initial release was slated for late 2009, and the handful of actual bones we've been given since then (hardly a handful), I think this re-writes the definition of keeping your cards close to your chest in Battlefronts' case...

At least with no clear release date, I cannot count down the days until I officially become a hermit again... Reminds me of CM:BO release. :D

Hopefully by the time the Ost-Front series of games comes out there will even be sewer networks to fight in as well... Outflank your enemies through the turd-tunnel... Disgusting thought!:rolleyes:

Sewers are subterranean, i.e. they have their own dimensions separate from the surface contours. Basements/cellars are excavated surface terrain with a building set in it. Really no different than the CMx2 automatically excavating slopes to place buildings level. You just need sheer sides and the ability access the "2nd" floor from adjacent terrain, like you can from adjacent buildings.

Sewers and caves are a completely different beast.

Guys. I think you should know that something is being prepared for you and that your questions about the WW2 title are not being ignored. Give them a few more days and I'm sure that all your questions will be answered. ;)

Does four days constitute as a few?

Mord.

Does four days constitute as a few?

I think in the BFC universe it counts as tiny. A brief instant, as fleeting as the brief existence of a mayfly; the time it takes to draw one short breath; the pause between your orgasm and your wife starting to tell you about the "little accident" she had with the car today.

Michael

I think in the BFC universe it counts as tiny. A brief instant, as fleeting as the brief existence of a mayfly...

Michael

Reminds me of that joke...

Guy asks God how long a million years is in God's terms...

God says "one second".

Guy asks God how much a million dollars is in God's terms...

God says "one dollar".

Guys says "God? Can I have a dollar?"

God replies "Sure...hold on a second..."

BFC can I have a screen shot?

Mord.

Well from what I recall Steve saying right back when CM:SF was released was that the beauty of the new engine was to streamline releases and speed up the development process - that statement now seems well wide of the mark...

Maybe for a particular Epoche / theatre it may be more streamlined but when a game is well over a year overdue from when it was initially expected to be released -still no forum etc... its a bummer - the waiting that is.

I think trying to push through several titles at the same time is a bit of a pain... I would think releasing one at a time with a decent gap in between would mean bigger sales per release... i.e. I wont buy Afghanistan or Nato if CM:N is to follow shortly thereafter - whereas i may have considered them if they were already out and CM:N was a few months off...

I totally understand trying to avoid the issues that came up from releasing CM:SF too early - namely make sure its tip-top....although the longer the wait it seems that the graphics, engine etc... will look a bit dated before too long...

Dont get me wrong, I love Battlefront and CM:N is the most anticipated title for me in the last 5 years. However i only ever purchased CMBO in the CMx1 series as the graphics etc... just dated far quicker than BF could pump out the titles...

I guess though, that over the years that I have matured (30 now) and I am more interested in realism in my games -however graphics too have their part to play in immersion....Immersion is the key...........for me....:)

A few bones or the announcement of the new dedicated CM:N forum would go a long way to tiding me over until release....:D

I have decided to renovate my house while I am waiting and you have no idea how much I hate working on my house. Painting, laying carpet and laminate as well as putting down patio bricks. I even offered $25/hour (US$23/hour) and still no takers so I am doing it by myself. Did I mention how much I hate this kind of stuff.

My wife said though that she would give me a break when either NATO or CM:N comes out. Please help as I do not want to keep working in 3 feet of snow at -40C temps.

On the building front, what types of programs are needed to modify existing graphic files or will we be able to do this at all? Will buildings be locked down as tight as vehicles?

On the building front, what types of programs are needed to modify existing graphic files or will we be able to do this at all? Will buildings be locked down as tight as vehicles?

Uh, vehicle skins aren't locked down at all, only the 3D models and their gameplay characteristics. I would expect building textures to be as fully moddable as they are now, i.e. very. :)

So I would think that the building models themselves (and I am thinking of the one-offs) would also be locked down even though the skins would be modable. Or can we create the 3D building models and introduce them into the game?

There are numerous churches and specific buildings that authors will want to be include in 3rd party scenarios. Will we be able to create those specific buildings or just use the existing structures, mod the skins and create the specific buildings in a non-direct way?

Only the skins are moddable so, no, you won't be able to create your own unique buildings for CM:N.

BTW, it would appear that building skins are a LOT of work for the artist to do. That's why there are so few of them. Two to the best of my knowledge, Pete Wenman's and M1A1 TC I think? (MikeyD's was actually added to the official skins for CMSF and so I'm not including that one - beautiful work though it is) Another building artist in the community would be very welcome.

Only the skins are moddable so, no, you won't be able to create your own unique buildings for CM:N.

BTW, it would appear that building skins are a LOT of work for the artist to do. That's why there are so few of them. Two to the best of my knowledge, Pete Wenman's and M1A1 TC I think? (MikeyD's was actually added to the official skins for CMSF and so I'm not including that one - beautiful work though it is) Another building artist in the community would be very welcome.

I would offer my services if I wasnt so busy at the moment... Our company is doing a 20 storey hotel in Tehran and I may have to work through the weekend.....Nooooooooo!!!:mad:

Having said that, im going to have fun using some of the stone textures from ARROWAY once CM:N is released... Cobble-stones, Norman houses... CM:N is going to be great on soooo many levels.