Wagging my tail, drooling... We need another bone! Normandy flavor please!

BFC and gunnery grogs,

Here's a great bone--if naval gunfire support's your thing. Naval Gunfire Support of Amphibious Operations: Past, Present, And Future by Donald M. Weller, Major General, USMC (Ret.).

This is a detailed study of the topic, written by the man whose involvement goes/went back to the 1930s, when he helped write the doctrine. This study makes a strong case for the MCLWG (Major Caliber Lightweight Gun), a then-modern naval weapon design, by laying out how naval gunfire support worked during WW II, Korea and Vietnam, with lots of fabulous data, pics, maps, case studies and more. Includes CEPs, data for precision direct demolition fires on point targets, ROFs, ammo loads and natures by U.S. ship type, equivalent field artillery units to a destroyer and a light cruiser, engagement ranges and more. Of direct interest to CM:N is that U.S. forces were in battleship gun coverage through D+9, while the British bogged down around Caen were in battleship coverage through D+41 (page 41). Case studies cover the Med, Normandy and the Pacific. A must read for gunnery buffs and military history buffs alike!

Regards,

John Kettler

phil standbridge,

If you want some idea of how scary that can be, play Lion sur Mer in CMBO, then bear in mind that's nothing in terms of the actual scale of fires used for a major target. If you can find the study, read it. Believe you'd love it. I knew of naval fires being used to repel a bunch of attacks, but had no idea just how nasty and large the poundings were, as in 400 rounds of 6 inch. And that's the smaller stuff!

Regards,

John Kettler

phil standbridge,

If you want some idea of how scary that can be, play Lion sur Mer in CMBO, then bear in mind that's nothing in terms of the actual scale of fires used for a major target. If you can find the study, read it. Believe you'd love it. I knew of naval fires being used to repel a bunch of attacks, but had no idea just how nasty and large the poundings were, as in 400 rounds of 6 inch. And that's the smaller stuff!

Regards,

John Kettler

I remember the naval artillery in CMBO very well John - also some of the larger ground pounders in CMBB and latterly CMAK. I used to hate the way some of the larger guns would take 10+ minutes to call in however. I'd sit there with a FO eyeing up his target thinking 'dont move.. don't move' and then watch in awe as these gigantic rounds would devastate the surrounding area :D Maybe I need help?

One time in CMBO I set up a QB in which a company of paratroops was to seize a village with the aid of some 16" guns. It was rather impressive, especially when I moved the camera into the middle of the target zone.

Michael

One time in CMBO I set up a company of paratroops in a pit and dropped their own naval artillery on them just for fun. You know you are bored with a computer game when you turn around and start wasting your own dudes/cities/rollercoasters.

One time in CMBO I set up a company of paratroops in a pit and dropped their own naval artillery on them just for fun. You know you are bored with a computer game when you turn around and start wasting your own dudes/cities/rollercoasters.

Yeah, but you are a very sick person.

:D

Michael

• 2 months later...
I remember the naval artillery in CMBO very well John - also some of the larger ground pounders in CMBB and latterly CMAK. I used to hate the way some of the larger guns would take 10+ minutes to call in however. I'd sit there with a FO eyeing up his target thinking 'dont move.. don't move' and then watch in awe as these gigantic rounds would devastate the surrounding area :D Maybe I need help?

WOW Naval arty !!! completely forgotten about this well remembered , pleeeeeeeeeeeese have this in CM:N that would be epic !