Is there a way to stop the flashing?

This is a NVIDIA drivers issue I'm afraid. FWIW latest drivers don't fix it. There is a thread about this issue over at the tech forum if you want to check out all the other poor souls with the same issue. Bugs the hell out of me so much I dislike playing night actions! :) Feel like I've got a strobe light going off in my face all the time.

Hi,

I just reinstalled Shock Force, updated my drivers to the Nvidia version 97.45. Problem is when infantry units fire all the buildings flash white.

I have a 9500gt video card, what can I do to correct this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

is it a patterned, regular flashing? cause if so, you could just blink every time the flash is going to come, and it would look like normal.

For CMSF I usually recommend the 186.18 drivers, which were generally bug-free for CMSF. Admittedly a number of people do not want to go back so far with their drivers (June 2009), since the newer ones may work better with some of their other games. For people with the latest video cards it may not be a possible to go back to the 180 series (you're GeForce 9500GT would work fine with the 180 series).

The entire 190 series (and the current 250 series) have an issue with lighting at night/dusk/dawn. I'm not aware of the "flashing" of textures during daylight, but it is a possibility.

Schrullenhaft,

Thanks for youre input, you are correct the scenario I was playing happened at dusk or dawn, the flashing does not happen on my game during daylight.

I wonder how many people this happens to? If there is a large amount we should start a complaint campaign and get it fixed. If we had 50 to 100 people a week putting in tickets and we do it for a number of weeks I believe they would have to notice.

Ah, disappointing to hear nvidia's latest drivers (250's ?) don't fix their broken OpenGL support. I will second Schrullenhaft's observation that the 186.18 drivers render CMSF correctly. Unfortunately, I've moved beyond them for my other games and I am not willing to swap drivers back and forth just for CMSF. This is an Nvidia issue.

hattrick1: I've already done as you suggested and posted a thread on nvidia's forum about their broken OpenGL rendering. No response. I also sent in a ticket to them directly: no response. Instead, on a machine I just finished building a month ago, I went out and purchased an ATI videocard. Problem solved! When it's time to upgrade this machine from it's 8800gtx (obviously an nvidia product), if their drivers aren't fixed, ATI will get MORE of my money instead of nvidia.

It's their product; it's my money. I make the choice.

Best of luck!

Ken

Well for what it's worth, I gotta GF 9800 GTX+ with the new 257.21 driver with no problems. I upgraded from 192.62 (November 09) drivers but had no problems with them either.

Maybe I just haven't noticed it, perhaps somebody make a video of this happening.

MeatEtr; sorry, no video. Create a QB using urban terrain (or any map with buildings). Set the time to night. Then AREA TARGET some of your guys. Their muzzle flashes will light up ALL the building faces as if intervening obstacles don't exist.

X A B C D E

Given unit X, above. If it fires at night, only the face of building A should be illuminated. A blocks the light from illuminating B, C, D, and E. The bug nvidia introduced means that each building, A through E gets the side facing X to be illuminated whenever X fires. Range does not matter; intervening obstacles do not matter.

Ken

Blackcat,

A reasonable price is different for each individual. ATI has several options with their latest generation. They're the 5000 series; e.g. Radeon HD 5870. There are so many pro's and con's for various video cards that it's hard to just say, "This is the one for you." Check newegg.com or your favorite online vendor for prices. Generally, the pricepoints are sub-$100, about $150, $200, $300, and up. Choose your pricepoint and you end up with your card.

Good luck!

Here is an example of what the NVIDIA Disco Effect is like.

Ok I just played this scenario Circle the Wagons a few days and it definitely didn't have that disco effect at all. But as c3k suggested, I did setup a night battle and did notice this effect too. So for me anyway, this doesn't happen in day battles.

Also I noticed this effect only happens when I can see a unit firing on screen. So if move the camera where I can't see the firing, then this effect doesn't happen.

But IIRC this has always been in CMSF, I remember way back when the game launched seeing this oddity. I guess I just don't play enough night battles to notice or care.

Hopefully BTS will figure out some way around this bug (as nVidia doesn't seem in any hurry to fix it), I don't recall seeing it in any other game I have. And this would definitely not be good to see in the upcoming CM: Normandy. :)

• 6 months later...