ETA - How far out?

Well my copy of - Dying for Saint Lo: Hedgerow Hell, July 1944 arrived on Monday so that will help pass the time in waiting for CM:N to be released, then again I could wear out the book by then as well (yes its a hardcover too):D

I have enough WW2 history books to build a house with already, however does anyone have any recommendations as to any other books that have detailed maps on CM scale engagements so that it would be easy to build maps from etc... There are so many nowadays that fail to put a scale to the map and or are so pathetic that they look rather more like a childs hand painting rather than a map.

Anyways, ive drifted waaaaaaay off topic!

Back to waiting for CM:N and doing some work for that matter.

:(

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... does anyone have any recommendations as to any other books that have detailed maps on CM scale engagements so that it would be easy to build maps from etc... There are so many nowadays that fail to put a scale to the map and or are so pathetic that they look rather more like a childs hand painting rather than a map.

Something I've found useful is to take those 'childs hand painting' maps and apply them as an overlay to Google Earth. That way you get the military detail of the map combined with the topographical detail of GE.

There is also (somewhere, sorry, I don't have the link available) a wottsit for GE that takes the 'terrain' maps from Google Maps and applies them to GE. That gives you countour lines, which can aid immensly when making maps.

There's also this site:

www.geoportail.fr

which has very detailed topo maps of Frnace, and allows you to overlay aerial photos and adjust the transparency so you can see both at the same time.

All those - GE, GM, and Geoportail - are modern, obviously, but topography tends to remain reasonably constant, even over 60+ years. You 'just' need to try and figure out modern developments like new roads, urban sprawl, and changes in land use.

Finally, in terms of books, all the Official Histories (US, UK, and Canadian) are very good in this regard. But the US ones win the laurel by default since so many of them are available online. In addition to 'Cross Channel Attack,' there is 'Omaha Beach,' 'Utah to Cherbourg,' 'St Lo', and 'Breakout and Pursuit.' All have wonderful maps.

Finally, in terms of books, all the Official Histories (US, UK, and Canadian) are very good in this regard. But the US ones win the laurel by default since so many of them are available online. In addition to 'Cross Channel Attack,' there is 'Omaha Beach,' 'Utah to Cherbourg,' 'St Lo', and 'Breakout and Pursuit.' All have wonderful maps.

And they all are available (or at least used to be; I haven't checked lately) on CD ROM from CMH.

Michael

BFC says. From the sounds of things, we are getting closer, but I have no idea if we are six months away or a year away.

so the game is but a few months away, but when you add all these months together it could turn out to be a lot of months, or what most people call.... a year.... which in the grand scheme of things isnt 'soon' is it? really :(

Not sure if Severin is still around but the prediction below made over 3 years ago about release date proved right :) (please excuse my clunky quoting). Assuming the game will take another year is a good idea because you may be pleasantly surprised, whereas assuming 'next month' leads to a lot of monthly disappointments.

Seriously though, if it is going take at least several months more then Battlefront should just say this. Saying "when it's ready" gives people absolutely no idea whether it is weeks or half a year away and is a form of non-communication that can come across as being smug, even though it is not intended that way. I fully understand why people shouldn't commit to a specific date FOR release, but there is zero harm in saying 'it WON'T be ready for at least x months'. That would save me having to check forums in the meantime

05-18-2007, 10:25 PM

Severin

Member Join Date: Mar 2006

CMSF was announced Oct 8 2005. That makes it about 21 months from announcement to release.

I'm going on record as saying the US will probably have a new president before CMx2 WW2.

And Iran, Iran so far away

so the game is but a few months away, but when you add all these months together it could turn out to be a lot of months, or what most people call.... a year.... which in the grand scheme of things isnt 'soon' is it? really :(

Considering the age of the planet, it is but a speck in time.

The older you get, the sooner it gets