US Army HD mod

Inspired by your modding work, I tried to do a shoulder patch for 1/503 PIR ("The Rock"), recolouring the Wikipedia emblem and placing it in the indicated place (on the pocket below the flag). But it ends up all smooshed up, as do the other right shoulder patches you've done. The other screenies posted don't have this problem.

Is that just my pathetic PC graphics card (ATI Radeon X300SE) or what? Any ideas (other than moving it up the arm)?

RYU2IDMosque-1.jpg

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@tdogg: I think the CMSF guys have PASGT helmets, the ArmA2 Arrowhead guys have ACHs. Can't be changed in CMSF.

@LongLeftFlank: Hmmm... that's strange. Probably not your graphics card if my textures showed up fine. Maybe something with the software or the way you saved it? I haven't seen that before, so I'm not really sure. That said, wouldn't the 1/503 PIR wear the 173rd ABCT patch? Oh and put the patch on the left shoulder. The right would be a "combat patch" in many cases, patch of the unit the soldier first saw combat with. I think you can also put your current unit patch or no patch there, but there would always be a current unit patch on the left shoulder.

1/503 deployed with 2/2 BCT in 2004-2005 (they were reflagged as 1/9 Manchus for their 2006 deployment, and the 1/503 colours went to 173rd). I have photos of them wearing the 2ID patch on the left shoulder. Thanks for the info on the patches though - not much of a uniform grog.

Oh, and your right shoulder patches also show up smooshed on my PC. But I'll live.

@LongLeftFlank, did a test, it's probably your card being unable to handle that size of a texture. Even at the lowest settings on my card, I couldn't reproduce that issue. 2048x2048 is a bit demanding. Unfortunately that's just the nature of the mod.

Great mod. I do have a question. How dose one mod the molle gear? I've been playing around with angry son's multi cam ranger mode. I was able to make the IBA and ACH multi cam but can't for the live of me figure out how to do the molle gear with out lossing all the detail. I've looked at you molle gear and other peoples too and it looks like you do an overlay of the molle gear with the colar you want. Is this correct and if so how do u do it?

Actully, it's the other way around, I overlay the gear over the camo. This requires using photoshop.

1. Grab the USMC MOLLE gear (since it's solid tan, no camo)

2.make a new layer and fill it with your camo.

3. duplicate or move the MOLLE layer ontop of your camo,

4. Now select black as your foreground color and use the dropper tool to get the tan color of the MOLLE for your background color.

5. Select the "background eraser" tool (it's under the eraser in the tool bar. Click the "dropper and two boxes" box up top (you'll see it), then set limits to discontiguous (my spell check says that isn't a real word...), and then trn the tolerence to 30-40% and check the protect foreground color box.

6. erase away the tan quickly and easly. Now you have a layer with all the detail that you can overlay on your camo.

Actully, it's the other way around, I overlay the gear over the camo. This requires using photoshop.

4. Now select black as your foreground color and use the dropper tool to get the tan color of the MOLLE for your background color.

5. Select the "background eraser" tool (it's under the eraser in the tool bar. Click the "dropper and two boxes" box up top (you'll see it), then set limits to discontiguous (my spell check says that isn't a real word...), and then trn the tolerence to 30-40% and check the protect foreground color box.

6. erase away the tan quickly and easly. Now you have a layer with all the detail that you can overlay on your camo.

Interesting to hear how other people do it. For my mods I also used the USMC texture layered over a camo pattern, then set the texture to "Multiply" blend and altered the opacity as needed.

Thank you for the information. I'llgive it a try.

How do you fill the layer with the camo you want?

How do you fill the layer with the camo you want?

You should have the camo pattern as a separate layer. Then, by doing either of the two methods listed above, you will get the shadows and highlights of the original USMC texture superimposed over the new camo pattern. Voila! New texture. :D

You should have the camo pattern as a separate layer. Then, by doing either of the two methods listed above, you will get the shadows and highlights of the original USMC texture superimposed over the new camo pattern. Voila! New texture. :D

Ok. I think Im starting to figure this out slowly. Do you do the same thing if you want to replace a camo file with another camo flie. I'll say like one of your vest in the HD mod with multi caminstead of ACU?

Can you do the same thing if you want to replace a camo pattern with another ie multi cam for ACU on the vest?

Yes, changing the camo pattern is as easy as swapping the layer that contains the previous camo for a different camo pattern. A couple of things to watch out for though:

- You might have to fiddle with curves/brightness/contrast/saturation in small amounts after putting in the new camo, to get it looking as good as possible.

- Since his patterns are "HD", they are higher resolution and thus larger images. So you need to find or make a camo pattern that is sized to fit with that larger image. Otherwise, simply enlargening a camo pattern will just result in a blurry mess.

Yes if you mean erasing existing camo and using a new pattern, the method I posted method should work for erasing camo so long as it does not contain black. repeat steps 4 through 6 for each color in the camo pattern. Each time you do this method, it'll only erase one color.

Thank you guys. I think I'm getting it now. Buy the way. Do any one of you guys plan on doing a Multi Cam mod?

I've meaning to add multicam to my mod set, but haven't found the time.

ETA: I believe there are a couple up on the Repository that some folk did.

There is one buy angry son. It's his 75th ranges MODr. The uniform is multicam with the molle, helmet and vest green. I did a multicam vest and helmet a while back. Thanks to you guys help I have been finnaly able to do the molle gear. I'll post some photos in a day or two. Thanks for the information guys.