I want a tripod on my Bren.

Gyrene

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be a little awkward for shooting ground targets though. I suppose you could stand on a box or something, which would make you a nifty target for the enemy.

Michael

I believe the AA and ground tripod are actually the same. They are simply different configurations that allow interchangeability. So basically you get both versions.

Resurrecting the Bren thread is bad ju-ju. lol

I believe the AA and ground tripod are actually the same. They are simply different configurations that allow interchangeability. So basically you get both versions.

Hmmm, looking at the two tripods illustrated here, it just might be possible. I'd want to see the ground version from more angles before I committed though.

Michael

Hmmm, looking at the two tripods illustrated here, it just might be possible. I'd want to see the ground version from more angles before I committed though.

Michael

Although the quoted material below lacks a source, I did find this snippet.

Despite the fact that the BREN, like its predecessor ZB-26 was mainly intended for the light machine gun role, it was also offered with a sustained-fire tripod, and provided with a sufficient supply of full magazines and spare barrels it could serve (to some extent) as a medium machine gun. The same tripod was also adaptable for the AA role. Dual gun mounts were used for anti-aircraft role and on certain land vehicles, used for Commando “hit-and-run” missions during WW2.

http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg10-e.htm

I have seen a Bren AA tripod here in a museum that allows the use of Lee Enfields to replace one or more of the legs, locked in via the bayonet fittings. I guess that would save weight if your team mates are carrying the rifles anyway.

Exactly. If Bren Tripod AA Teams were in the game and you couldn't run with them, the game would be sooo broken.

Apparently the 100 round drum magazine was unpopular with the infantry - difficult to load and heavy and awkward to carry.

Something to bear in mind is that in the early part of the war, based on the disasters in Norway, France, and Greece/Crete, the British Army was a bit gun shy when it came to the Luftwaffe. So much so that they gave every infantry battalion it's own AA platoon, equipped with Brens (see for example). I expect these large drums were intended for the use of these platoons.

The AA platoons had gone by the end of 1942, when cooler heads prevailed and the value of having centralised AA assets made itself known ... and there were sufficient LAA and HAA guns around to make a difference, and the RAF got its act together.