I want a tripod on my Bren.

Gyrene

Ironically, despite his multiple personality issues which ought to have had him banned yonks ago, it wasn't. It was for pretending to be someone else, or rather, posting a review of a CM game pretending to be someone else. At least, that's the way I remember it. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

so being micheal dorash then...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yachts? Seems unlikely as with speed and shallow draft thye would be hard to catch. Of course what they would be doing in th Baltic anyway I have no idea - quite a rare vessel if one is thinking of pleasure craft. Yacht rigged is another matter. : )_

Anyway for serious convoy work:

http://www.convoyweb.org.uk/

sorry should have included this good site

http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/Style/Features.html

Yachts were naval vessels before they were pleasure craft. Yacht history

By Affentitten

Boats, son. Most of them would have been boats, not ships.

Don't you go dissing non-British navies, buddy. When they say they were ships then they were ships. ;)

The reason for these battles were so prolific in numbers is the fact the Finnish archipelago is comprised of small islands and shallow waterways and anything larger than a shallow draft frigate is simply impossible to navigate in there.

The British-French navy paid the area a visit during Crimean war http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_War#Baltic_theatre

The British "1000 ship" convoy was most likely comprised mostly of these same kind of coastal "ships".

Patrick O'Brian has one of his characters define 'ship' as any vessel with three masts. If it has less than three masts it is not a ship...according to him. I don't recall if there was any minimal tonnage mentioned or any other qualifying condition.

Michael

The RN definition is that a 'boat' is any vessel capable of being carried aboard another vessel. If it's too big for someone else to carry aboard, it's a ship.

Hence the modern day reckoning of submarines as boats (which is something of an anachronism given the size of subs today.)

The 'rating' system was for ships of the line (ie. those capable of being deployed in a line of battle) and had more to do with number of guns and gunnery decks.

Patrick O'Brian has one of his characters define 'ship' as any vessel with three masts. If it has less than three masts it is not a ship...according to him. I don't recall if there was any minimal tonnage mentioned or any other qualifying condition.

Michael

That'd explain a sloop being described as "ship rigged" then (Forester).

The RN definition is that a 'boat' is any vessel capable of being carried aboard another vessel. If it's too big for someone else to carry aboard, it's a ship.

I've heard that too. I believe that is a more recent definition more in tune with the 20th. century and later. O'Brian was writing of events during the Napoleonic Wars and I expect his definition had already been in use for a couple of centuries by then.

Michael

Hence the modern day reckoning of submarines as boats (which is something of an anachronism given the size of subs today.)

Conversely, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the larger container ships I've seen could carry one of the smaller frigates, which are described as ships of course.

In cases like these, it often comes down to a matter of, "This word means whatever I am pointing to when I use it."

Michael

Thanks for the link Affy but it does not actually explain why you think sporting yachts or small shallow draft Dutch naval vessels would be in a convoy in the Baltic around 1800.

: )

My copy of The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Ships, Boats, Vessels and Other Water-Borne Craft by Graham Blackburn 1978 does not actually provide any notes as to what is a boat and what is a ship [the book is light on note] but I tend to the boats are carryable. Anyway apparently cutters replaced yachts for the Dutch pilots and there were revenue cutters also so yachts as such were pleasure craft by 1800. In fact Blackburns sez post 1660.

Conversely, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the larger container ships I've seen could carry one of the smaller frigates, which are described as ships of course.

I think even the Royal Navy would classify the USS Cole as a ship.:)

bluemarlin.jpg

In cases like these, it often comes down to a matter of, "This word means whatever I am pointing to when I use it."

Michael

We were talking about the late 18th, early 19th century, so that;s the relevant definition.

We were talking about the late 18th, early 19th century, so that;s the relevant definition.

Quite. That's why I mentioned O'Brian. I'm not qualified to pass a judgement on whether his definition was in fact the one normally used at that time, but people who have examined his work with a critical eye usually report that he knew his stuff. Take it for what it's worth.

Michael

Quite. That's why I mentioned O'Brian. I'm not qualified to pass a judgement on whether his definition was in fact the one normally used at that time, but people who have examined his work with a critical eye usually report that he knew his stuff. Take it for what it's worth.

Michael

Well it's probably the same thing, since anything with three or more masts is unlikely to be portable by any other contemporary vessel!

I have since found other definitions as well. It seems few can agree because there is also mention of number of weather decks etc. I guess to a Jack Tar of suitable experience in 1805 there was no need to define the difference. A quick glance would be enough to ascertain whether something would be a ship or a boat!

What strikes me as interesting about that pic is that the carrying ship isn't even drawing its maximum draft.

Michael

Ships (or boats!) are mostly hollow though. An Arleigh Bourke is about 8,500 tons at full load and I dare say Cole was stripped back even more. Not a big load considering even a modest container ship will pull about 40,000 DWT and a large one 100,000+ tons.