No Humvee in CM:SF 2

Chops

I think what Chops is talking about are the overabundant "soccer moms" that populate our American roads driving Hummers/Navigators/Escalades in an overkill safety statment to keep their "little darlings" from harm. Never being in accidents themselves but causing many.

Come to think about it, it doesnt have to be a mom at all. I see plenty of "suit and tie" commuters in these as well with a false sense of adventure. "Oh look! An inch of snow! I better get out the Hummer!"

I think what Chops is talking about are the overabundant "soccer moms" that populate our American roads driving Hummers/Navigators/Escalades in an overkill safety statment to keep their "little darlings" from harm.

And don't overlook the power of fashion and fad. Whatever rationale about safety or anything else these owners might spin out, the real reason that they drive SUVs is because deep down they believe it reveals them as very cool. For similar reasons, in these parts we have an overabundance of pickups, especially the large, heavy, overpowered, gas-guzzling variety.

Michael

The moronic part comes from city folks who should be driving Morris Minis or VW Beatles buying 4WD monsters and then causing climate change and this:

hannelekolariJI2211_te.jpg

Hummer, being originally an army vehicle, only adds that 25% more douche.

The photo is wrong because that it is not an American soccer mom. (Plates).

The SUV's we have here are about twice that size.

He's from Cali so it's harder for him to recognize that Hummers are useful. Try navigating a city that has just been hit with 20+ inches of snow and you'll quickly realize that the only people getting around easily are all of the "morons".

Thats fine mate.

But over in the UK we get about 2" and the country stops.This happens about once every 10 years so driving a 4X4 for the other 9 years in the hope it may snow once in a while is a bit sad.Plus you still get stuck in traffic jams if it snows as none of the tossers around here know how to drive in snow anyway.Last time it snowed while i was at work a 20min journey took me 2 hours due to imbeciles getting stuck.

In fact 4X4 are now being fitted with low profile tyres to end any pretensions of off roading.My boss owns a BMW X5 and he says its ****e in the snow and on grass.So what is the point?

I popped down to my local welder today to drop some tappet adjusters off which need stellite adding to the ends to repair them.While i was there chatting i noticed a monster alloy wheel of something like an X5 or similar.

This was broken for about 12" round the rim.

The rear flange had broken away and the rim was cracked half way across.I asked him about the wheel and he said the guy had been quoted £700 for a new wheel and it would arrive in a couple of months.So he was going to repair it for him.(at great cost i might add).The welder said you should have seen the bloody stupid low profile tyre he had fitted.It was like an elastic band stretched round the rim and was only about 2" thick. All this guy had done was drop his wheel into one of the many potholes littering our streets due to the snow we have had lately.So explain again what is the point of a 4X4 on normal roads?When you can't even drive them about on slightly rough roads without f***ing a £700 wheel.

"I popped down to my local welder today to drop some tappet adjusters off which need stellite adding to the ends to repair them"

There are whole worlds out there of which we are ignorant. However, thanks to Google I now know waht tappets are and what stellite is (and the fact it should not be used in nuclear power plants due to the cobalt content). Though quite why tappets need to be adjusted and why stellite is necessary for the process still eludes me.

Thanks, Gautrek, for making me expand my stock of knowledge.

"I popped down to my local welder today to drop some tappet adjusters off which need stellite adding to the ends to repair them"

There are whole worlds out there of which we are ignorant. However, thanks to Google I now know waht tappets are and what stellite is (and the fact it should not be used in nuclear power plants due to the cobalt content). Though quite why tappets need to be adjusted and why stellite is necessary for the process still eludes me.

Thanks, Gautrek, for making me expand my stock of knowledge.

Just to expand your knowledge a bit more mate.If you look at the bottom right hand side of each post there is a quote button.Click on that and the bit you want is quoted in your reply.:D

I also found out today that i may need to run stellite to stellite if i get my cam followers sprayed as well.I was told this is a big no no.But it would appear that you can run 2 parts together but you need differant grades of stellite.

He's from Cali so it's harder for him to recognize that Hummers are useful. Try navigating a city that has just been hit with 20+ inches of snow and you'll quickly realize that the only people getting around easily are all of the "morons".

The failure rate of commercial Humvee's is incredible. They are not built anywhere near to the standards that the military ones are. And most military people will tell you the military version also has a penchant for breaking down as well. A company I worked for bought one for promotional uses and to drive the winners of a contest to the Sugarbowl and that thing was in the shop EVERY week. Needless to to say the company flew the winners into the bowl game instead of risking humiliation when the vehicle broke down on the way. That vehicle sits on a lot now collecting dust as a big unmovable banner now withe companies logo on it.

Get a real military Humvee if you need that level of offroading ability, or you could just do what everyone has been doing around the world for the past 20 years and get a standard 4-wheel drive vehicle. Humvee's are serious overkill and not worth the effort it takes to maintain them.

JD Powers rated the Hummer a 5 out of 10 for reliability. Not great for what you pay for them. Almost all models rate this way on reliability. Performance is high, but what good is performance if you can't get it to run?

That's because the H2 hummer which you see everywhere is not the Military version, it is one of these:

03ChevyTahoe.jpg

And what a hideous looking thing it is.Why would any sane person want to drive one of these round?

But then when you are sat in it you can't see how hideous it looks can you.:)

And this is another one of those "off" road cars with all that nice bendable body work all round.The sort that a sane person would never ever take off road.What a pointless vehicle.

That's because the H2 hummer which you see everywhere is not the Military version, it is one of these:

03ChevyTahoe.jpg

Not to defend any species of Hummer in civilian hands, but the vehicle in the photo is not one of them, but a Chevy Tahoe.

Here is an image of the H3 Hummer, which I suppose is equally unsightly and probably as much a piece of junk.

hummer_h3_black_450-op.jpg

Michael

Not to defend any species of Hummer in civilian hands, but the vehicle in the photo is not one of them, but a Chevy Tahoe.

Here is an image of the H3 Hummer, which I suppose is equally unsightly and probably as much a piece of junk.

hummer_h3_black_450-op.jpg

Michael

I do love the look of the full military version(before all the added armour and crap).But the civilian ones just look s***.

A few years ago my son in law (a Ukrainian) wanted a used H2 so he wired me the funds and I bought one for him and shipped it over there. He ended up paying double, for the import duty was about the same as the purchase price.

Anyway, I got to drive it for a week and hated every moment of it. It was a real pig. Never again.